- Text Size +
Lady Fanny Collins was very much progressing. So as promised on her seventh birthday her uncle gave her a beautiful white pony. Of course she did no know of this because to her and everyone else at Longborn Sir James was out in business.

“Do not move Fanny,” Anne said as she continued to finish the portrait she was doing for Fanny. “I am almost done…”

“I can not wait to show it to my grand poppa and of course Uncle Alexander when he gets home. I am sure he has forgotten about tomorrow. He will not be here for my birthday…” Fanny said a little sad.

“Oh, Fanny you Uncle is a very busy man. I am sure he will send you something.” Anne said as she continued to paint. “Now stop talking so I can get your nose right.”

******

“Good morning Miss Phillips,” Fanny said as she walked into her room.

Anne yawned and gave young Fanny a smile, “Good morning my dear Fanny, how are you this fine morning?”

“I am excited and I want to go to Lime!” Fanny said as she sat on the bed with a smile on her face. “We shall go… grand poppa has allowed me to in companionship of you and Greta of course. You must dress for the occasion miss Phillips, please do not wear grey it is such a depressing color. Do you not have a colorful dress?”

“Fanny I do not think grey is depressing but if you insist I will try to wear something with color.” Anne said smiling as she got up. “Now will you allow me to get ready?”

“Yes of course…” Fanny said as jumped in enthusiasm. “Do not be long Miss Phillips.”

Anne smiled at the young girl she was very smart and she had learned many things since she had arrived. But she had learned that her free spirit still dominated her… not that that caused any trouble not yet anyway. Maybe once she was of courting age her free spirit might cause a scandal. Especially since Sir James was never at Longborn after her talk with her he only stayed a day.

Since then she could count the times he was there. He was always there for very short visits and he barely made conversation with her. If he did he would only acquire about his niece’s progress.

She cleared her thoughts and went on with getting ready for this trip to Lime her first time away from Longborn since arriving. Yet she could not take Sir James face away from her thoughts. She felt for him he was a tormented soul and she wanted to see him happy.

******

Anne smiled at the reflection in front of her, she really never wore color. Grey just seemed to fit her better but she was going to delight Fanny especially today that she was turning seven. She walked down to the common room smiling when she saw Sir Robert sitting with Fanny by his side. He looked well today and Miss Pierce seemed to be smiling at his progress today.

Anne curtsied and smiled as she saw Fanny. “Miss Phillips you look very different.” Fanny said coming to her. “Green makes your brown eyes stand out right grand poppa?”

“Yes my dear Fanny…” Sir Robert managed to say giving the young governess a smile. “Miss Phillips I hope you enjoy Lime, a barouche awaits outside for you all.”

“I will I am sure Fanny will make sure I enjoy it. Will you be fine here all alone?” Anne asked the elderly man.

Sir Robert nodded and looked over to his nurse. “I will be fine Miss Pierce takes good care of me.”

“Miss Phillips, Fanny…” Mrs. Potts said as she walked in. “We must head out.”

Fanny took hold of Anne’s hand and they followed Mrs. Potts. They were about to enter the coach when the noise of horses and carriages stopped them. Fanny pulled away from Anne when she recognized her uncle. “Uncle!” she yelled as she ran to him he had just climbed off his horse.

“My dear Fanny,” Alexander said catching her in his arms. “Wow you have grown since I last saw you.”
“I am seven now!” Fanny said with joy.

“Indeed you are…”

Fanny turned as she heard the voice, “Sir Dorough!” She ran to the shorter man and hugged him. “My cousin here just bought me a pony and told me it was for a very beautiful lady in his life and he was very right. You look like your mother more and more as you grow my dear Fanny.”

“A pony?” Fanny smiled as she ran back to her Uncle. “Can I see it?”

“Well of course you can Percy has taken it to the stables.” Alexander said as he approached his cousin. “But first I want you to meet some friends that have come with us.”

“Friends?” Fanny said eyeing the coach.

“Yes,” Howard said opening the door and helping out a very pretty lady. “Fanny I want you to meet a great friend of my family as of your uncles. Lady Mary Carter.”

Fanny curtsied and smiled. “You are very pretty.”

“Fanny don’t make Miss Carter blush,” Alexander said as he smiled at her. “Miss Carter and her brother will be staying here at Longborn for a while.” He said finally seeing Mrs. Potts and Miss Phillips. “Mrs. Potts make sure you help Miss Carter.”

“Yes sir,” Mrs. Potts said as she approached the coach.

“Miss Phillips,” Alexander said bowing to her. “You look different today.”

“Yes uncle I made her wear color for once does it not help her look less plain?” Fanny asked.

“You do look different,” Alexander said and then he turned to face lady Carter and his cousin. “Cousin and Lady Carter I want you to meet my niece’s governess Miss Phillips.”

“Nice to meet you,” Miss Phillips said curtsying.

“Uncle I believe you said Lady Carter and her brother were going to be staying here. I do not see a Mr. Carter.” Fanny said interrupting them.

“Ah, well that is because my brother made a pit stop in Lime, we have a aunt that lives there.” Lady Carter finally said giving Fanny a smile.

“He will join us later today.” Howard said.

“So enough of this shall we go see the pony?” Alexander said smiling at his niece.

“Yes,” Fanny said as she began to walk toward the stables.

“Miss Phillips you may go your not needed today.” Alexander said with a serious tone. “I will be with my niece all day. You are free to go into town if you wish.” He said and then turned to follow everyone else.

Anne did not even get to say a word. She did not why but she felt hostility in the way Sir James had spoken to her. But why should she care it was her day off after changing back to her normal dresses she got her book and began to walk into the woods. Today she would spend it reading and enjoying Nature.