- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Yeah, yeah. I know I listed this fic as done, but Leo just kept on nagging me about his side of it all. So, well, here it is. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lenni, & story idea. Nikelodeon now owns TMNT, & everyone else owns themselves. Thank-you!

 

Leo reached their family first, and grabbed up a burger and some salad. He was starving after the work out he had done. He watched silently as his littlest sister made her way over to everyone, and wordlessly took a cheeseburger.

 

Lenni was just about to sit down, when Master Splinter decided to speak up.

 

“I see you have decided to join us, Lenore,” Master Splinter commented. “We have much to discuss after you have eaten. Leaving practice early will not be tolerated, young one.”

 

Lenni huffed slightly, and shot Leo a brief look as if to say, ‘See!

 

 “Don’t worry about it, Sensei,” Leo piped up, keeping his promise. “I already chewed her out quite well, hence her mood.”

 

Master Splinter nodded. “That is fine. Thank-you Leonardo.”

 

Leo nodded, daring to cast Lenni a look of his own, to let her know he hadn’t lied about having her back – this time. Next time though, might be a different story – he couldn’t always grant her leniency, though this was the first time in a long time that he had. Usually he called her out on everything – but he only wanted for her to succeed.

 

She worried him the most out of all twelve of his little sisters. What with her ninjitsu being what it was, and the way she reacted to everything. It was all a disaster, just waiting to happen. But now, he understood just a little bit better. Yes, he had heard her most inner thoughts – not all of them, but enough to figure out what the rest just might be.

 

He glanced her way once more, when he heard her laughing along with the other girls. Apparently something funny had gone down, and he’d missed out on it.

 

“Donnie, next time, try not to spit your water in my direction, will you?!” TMNTPunker exclaimed, grabbing some napkins to dry herself off. “Just – eew!”

 

“Sorry,” Donnie coughed.

 

Leo chuckled softly, then went back to mulling things over once more. He knew he had to figure out the solution to this little problem named Lenni. Because if things kept up as they were, the end results weren’t going to be very pretty at all.

 

“So she hates me for not noticing…” He thought. “But what is it that she wants me to take notice of?”

 

He took another bite of his burger, then shoveled in some salad. He knew his sister hated being ninja – she voiced it often enough. But, did she really hate being ninja? Or was she just putting on an act to get more attention?

 

“It’d be just like her to do that,” he mused. “She’ll do just about anything for some attention. But all that ever gets her is negative attention. ”

 

He was beginning to become more confused than ever. He really wished he had’ve heard all of her inner battle, rather than just snippets of it. True, he could’ve tuned in fully, but that would’ve called for him to break his concentration on his kata; and if he’d done that she for sure would’ve clued in that he knew of her presence, and run.

 

“Why does she always insist on spying on me?” He wondered, daring to look over at her again. “She doesn’t seem to spy on anyone else. Shell, I wish I could figure her out. She’s more confusing than Raph’s ever been.”

 

Lenni darted a pointed look over in her brother’s direction, when she noticed him watching her for the second time in ten minutes. It was starting to grate on her nerves, and making her want to take back those hugs they’d shared. No matter how good it had felt to hug him at long last.

 

Leo narrowed his eyes back at his littlest sister, mostly as he knew her current thoughts. The fact that he knew she was starting to wish she’d never hugged him at all, was starting to hurt – just a little. He wished he knew what he’d done to earn such treatment from her.

 

He sighed knowing it just might take him all night to figure everything out – maybe even longer. Though he could read others thoughts, he didn’t like to invade his siblings’ privacy; he usually tried to block their thoughts out, unless they were pleading for help or something of the likes.

 

~~~~~

 

Awhile later, dinner had finished and everyone had gone their own ways to do whatever their hearts desired until they felt tired enough for bed.  Leonardo was sitting on the front porch swing, just relaxing for once, and watching his siblings all out in the yard – minus two.

 

He frowned a little seeing this, and wondered just what his littlest brother and his littlest sister were up to now. Sometimes when they both disappeared at once, it meant a prank would soon follow – though, sometimes it just meant the youngest of the clan needed someone to confide in. And like since forever, whenever she needed to talk, Lenni would steal Mikey away for a little while; so she could get her thoughts and feeling outs, and into her living, breathing diary of a brother.

 

“At least she confides in someone,” Leo thought a little bitterly. “Though, I’m not even sure Mikey knows the whole story of why she doesn’t want to be ninja and gives us all such a hard time about everything.”

 

It was after this thought, that he saw Mikey headed into the kitchen, coming from the direction of the stairs. He wondered something then, and stood, stretching a bit as he did so. Once he was able to move normally again, he headed on inside, then upstairs and towards the room the youngest four girls were staying in.

 

As he neared the room at the end of the hall, he could hear soft crying, and frowned. Why would she be crying if this were where Mikey had come from? Mikey never liked to make anyone cry, so he couldn’t fathom him having done so now. Confused, he quietly knocked on the door, before opening it just a crack.

 

“Lenni?” He spoke softly, not wanting to startle the youngest turtle girl any.

 

“Just – go away,” Lenni, whimpered in response, not bothering to turn towards the door.

 

Leo’s frowned deepened as he further entered the room, only to find her sitting on the head of her bed, with her face buried in her hands. He watched for a moment as barely audible sobs racked through her small body. The girl may’ve been twelve, but she was still rather on the small side.

 

“What’s wrong?” He asked, trying not to sound too demanding. He really didn’t want to ruin the rather good day the two of them had been having. “Did Master Splinter lecture you anyway?”

 

“No,” Lenni managed to choke out. “He believes you chewed me out, and I’m not surprised he believed it. You’re always chewing me out for something.”

 

Leo bit his tongue at her remark, not wanting to say something that would only upset her further. Even if she had a bit of a point. He wasn’t always chewing her out intentionally; sometimes, it was just out of fear or concern for her safety.

 

“Then what’s wrong?” Leo pressed gently, moving to sit next to her – surprised she even allowed him to do so. Normally she refused to let him anywhere near her, unless Donnie had a needle in his hand. “What has gotten you so upset?”

 

“Nothing,” Lenni answered, sniffling some.

 

Lenni…”

 

“I’m a girl, Leo!” Lenni spat slightly. “Sometimes us girls cry over nothing. Is that alright with you?”

 

“Look, I didn’t come in here to start a fight,” Leo replied gently. “I just had a feeling something was wrong, and wanted to be sure you were all right.”

 

“My well-being is none of your concern,” Lenni growled. “That’s Mikey’s job, and his alone.”

 

“I’m your brother,” Leo reminded her. “It’s my right to worry and such, when one of my siblings is upset.”

 

“Well, don’t bother worrying about me,” Lenni grumbled. “It’s not like you ever have before, so why start bothering now?”

 

“Hey, now,” Leo said, grabbing her chin with his hand and forcing to look at him. “I have always worried about you, and cared for you. I love you, Kiddo. When are you going to start realizing that?”

 

“When Hell freezes over,” Lenni retorted, angrily pulling away from him.

 

“I’m sorry you feel that way,” Leo stated, sounding a little dejected. “I just wish I knew what I’d done to make you dislike me so much. I used to be your favourite brother at one point even – what happened?”

 

“I grew up and got a clue, that you aren’t as perfect as everyone seems to think,” Lenni rejoined. “You make mistakes, just like everyone else. And heroes are – they’re just – well, they’re just not supposed to!”

 

Hero?” Leo thought silently. “I was her hero? Since when?”

 

“I’m sorry to have disappointed you,” he spoke aloud, standing as he did so. “If you need me, I’ll be outside.”

 

He turned to head for the door, only to suddenly feel her latch onto him a moment later. What was with this kid? One minute she’s yelling at him, and the next she’s hugging him?!?

 

Lenni had seen the look on her brother’s face, and suddenly felt horrible for having had snapped at him like she had. Sure, she snapped at him all the time; but he’d never looked so hurt before. This time, she actually felt guilty for saying what she had. Wanting to make amends, she did the only thing she could think of – she hugged him, again, for the third time in one day.

 

“Please don’t hate me!” She pleaded, burying her face into his plastron, once he’d turned back around. “Please!”

 

Leo hugged her tightly in return. “Lenni, did you not hear a word I said? I love you, no matter what. You’re my baby sister, and whether you like it or not I am going to look out for you, as best I can.”

 

“Even though I like to give you a hard time about everything?” Lenni queried, looking up at him through tears – she was rather overly sensitive and emotional at times. “And be a complete, and total brat?”

 

“Even then,” Leo smiled genuinely, leaning down to kiss her head. “Because you’re my sister.”

 

“Will you tuck me in?” She asked randomly.

 

“Bit early for bed, don’t you think?” Leo commented, raising an eye ridge at her. “Everyone else is still outside goofing off.”

 

“Yeah, well, I’m tired,” Lenni admitted. “Being a brat is exhausting, you know.”

 

Leo gave a small chuckle at that. “Alright, hop on into bed, Kiddo.”

 

Lenni did as she’d been told, for once, and crawled under the covers. She made a show of grabbing up her favourite teddy bear too – the one she’d had her whole life.

 

Leo tucked her in nice and tight, kissing her forehead one last night. “Night Kiddo, I love you.”

 

“Night Leo,” Lenni whispered. “Thanks. For everything.”

 

“Anytime,” Leo nodded. “That’s what big brothers are for.”

 

“I know. I hog Mikey enough,” Lenni joked tiredly.

 

Leo laughed, as he headed on out of the room, making sure to leave the nightlight plugged in, on. She may’ve been twelve, but she still had a fear of the dark.

 

On his way out, he ran into Mikey in the hallway. He saw Mikey give a knowing smirk, and felt himself shrug.

 

“I have to solve this mystery sometime,” he said. “Otherwise, things are going to get rather ugly.”

 

“You did a good job today,” Mikey commented. “I don’t know exactly what you did, but whatever it was, I’m glad you did it. I haven’t seen the Kid unable to just pick one emotion and stick with it, in a long time.”

 

“And that’s a good thing?”

 

“When it comes to her relationship with you, yes,” Mikey nodded. “Just think about it Leo. She’s torn up inside right now, because after four years, she finally gave in and hugged you again. She hasn’t felt the urge to do so in forever. So whatever it was you did today triggered that long lost feeling inside of her. She loves you, Leo; even if she never openly says it or shows it.”

 

“I just ride her too hard, for her to feel comfortable enough to show me, right?” Leo concluded. “I go all big bad, bossy, know-it-all leader on her more than I do caring big brother.”

 

“Exactly,” Mikey agreed. “Though, sometimes she pesters you just because it’s what us younger siblings are supposed to do, you know.”

 

“Oh, I know,” Leo said, rolling his eyes, though he cracked a small smile. “I’ll be outside.”

 

  “I’ll be keeping sleepy beauty company for a little bit, until I’m sure she’s settled enough to sleep through the night,” Mikey informed him. “I know how she ticks.”

 

“All right. Night Mikey.”

 

“Night Leo.”

 

Mikey smirked some as he watched his oldest brother head on back downstairs. He’d never thought he’d see the day, where Leo managed to get Lenni to hug him on her own. He’d been trying to get her to do so for years, to no avail. He just wished she’d tell him what had suddenly triggered her need to hug Leo again.

 

Leo headed on back outside to the porch swing, sitting on it once more. He needed to go over his last two conversations in his head, to try and make sense of everything. He wasn’t kidding when he said he wanted to solve the mystery of Lenni. Somehow, he’d the feeling it needed to be long solved before her time to take the Trials came, or there’d be dire consequences to pay.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
This is the last chapter. If you want to know more, you'll have to read my Understanding Brother series over on fanfiction.net until I move them over here. Lol.