- Text Size +

“Do you need any help?” Ann asked her daughter. They were preparing for a barbecue.

“Yeah, can you keep an eye on the kids?” I continued to mix the pasta salad. I was excited to spend the day with my friends and family. The door bell rang. “Come in.” I yelled.

Moments later I heard a bunch of feet walking toward the kitchen. In walked Brian and his wife Carrie. “Bri, it’s great to see you!” I gave him a hug. Then I hugged Carrie.

“Ashton, you look beautiful.”

“Thanks Bri. Where are the girls?” Brian had eight year old triplets.

“They ran out back as soon as we pulled in.”

“Well go enjoy yourselves. Everyone is outside.” Brian shooed his wife out the door and remained in the kitchen.

“So how are things with my favorite cousin?”

“I’m fine Brian. Things aren’t perfect. I’m starting to get tired of everyone hovering over me. I’m trying to live one day at a time and enjoy time with my family.” I don’t think Brian was buying it. I’m sure I sounded fake.

“Have you talked to Nick lately?”

“Brian, you talk to Nick everyday. I’m sure he’s kept you updated on what’s going on. I haven’t seen him in a week.” I started chopping carrots pretending it was Nick’s head. Sorry, I was using Nick to release my frustration.

“Has he been seeing the kids?”

“Yes, he sees the kids all the time. He calls them everyday and sees them almost every other day. Kevin’s been nice enough to drive them over to Nick’s so I don’t have to see him.”

“You know that isn’t going to solve anything.” Brian was beginning to piss me off. I wanted a day free from Nick, but everyone wanted to talk about him.

“Maybe I don’t want to solve anything. Right now it’s easier to pretend he doesn’t exist. Nick certainly doesn’t seem to care about me. Why do I have to be the one to fix the problem?” I went off on Brian.

“I’m sorry Ashton. I didn’t mean to upset you. I just wanted you to know Nick’s hurting, too.”

“Fine Brian. Can we just stop talking about him for the rest of the day?” He nodded and went outside.

------------------------

The cookout was going great. Everyone was having fun. The kids were swimming. Jackson and Spencer were playing in the tree house.  The men were talking over beers. The women were gossiping. It was a pleasant day.

“So where’s Nick?” Howie said looking around the yard.

“Nick and Ashton are separated. He moved out a while ago.” AJ blurted out. He could never keep secrets.

“Are you kidding me?”

“Afraid not. He says he’s not in love with her.”

“Is he on drugs?” How was shocked at his younger brother.

“Nah. He’s just being a jack ass.” Kevin remarked sipping his beer. AJ laughed at that comment.

“Speaking of marriage; I’m going to ask Arizona to marry me when we go to Vegas next weekend.”

“Awesome.”

“Our wittle Alex is growing up.” Brian pinched AJ’s cheeks and pretended to cry.

“Get off me you dope.”

I walked over the group of men. They were fooling around. “Who wants to grill?” They all got up and ran to the grill. Kevin got there first.

“Ha ha ha. I won. I’m the Grill Master.” The rest of the guys fell at his feet. I couldn’t stop laughing. Right then, someone’s phone went off.

“Hello. Not much. Where am I? At your house. Ashton’s having a small get together. Ok. Bye.” Brian put his phone in his pocket. He looked dumbfounded.

“Is everything ok, Bri?” I asked.

“Not really. That was Nick on the phone. He’s on his way over.”

--------------------

I met Nick in the front yard. If looks could kill I would have been dead. He was not happy with me at the moment. Then again, he hasn’t been happy with me in a while.

“Hello Nick. What brings you by?” I asked cheerfully. I knew why he was here.

“I heard you were having a party with all my friends.”

“You seem to forget that they are my friends, too.”

“Whatever, Ashton. Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Didn’t know I had to.” I think he was jealous about me having a cookout with my friends and family.

“It would have been the polite thing to do. I’m still your husband.” He ran his fingers through his hair.

“You seem to forget that you told me you wanted to stay away from me. Besides, you lost that right to know my business when you left.”

“I can’t stand you anymore. When did you change?”

“I changed when you fell out of love with me. I’m not going to take your crap because don’t know what you want. I’m not your doormat.”

“You’re not the woman I married. It’s like you have a split personality.” I smacked him on the face. He infuriated me. How dare he treat me that way! He looked shocked and starting rubbing his face.

“Well, you’re not the man I married either. He would have never treated his wife this way. You need to leave. I don’t want this cookout ruined for our kids. They deserve to enjoy their day.”

“Fine, but this isn’t over. We’ll talk about this later and don’t you ever hit me again.” He stormed over to his car and got in. Without thinking he sped out of the driveway and hit the mailbox. Nick didn’t even stop to see what damage he had done.