- Text Size +

Running late on Mondays was the norm at my house. Rachel was busy looking for her favorite pair of shoes. Jackson was playing with the cat instead of getting his backpack. I was rushing around looking for my keys.

“Mommy, I can’t find my shoes!” Rachel screamed through the house. My goodness that girl had a set of pipes.

“Check your closet.” I yelled up the stairs. I searched the kitchen for my keys and found them by the toaster.

“Let’s go. We’re going to be late.”

Jackson and Rachel came running into the foyer. I hustled them out the door, when my cell phone rang. I didn’t have time to talk; we were already ten minutes late. I looked at my phone and saw Nick’s number.

“Yeah.”

“Did I call at a bad time?” He seemed annoyed at me already. He knew Monday mornings were hectic.

“Perfect timing.” I replied sarcastically. I motioned the kids to get into the car. I made sure Rachel was buckled in to her booster seat.

“Sorry…I forgot its Monday. I just wanted to let you know that I’m not at Brian’s. I’m staying at the Sheraton.”

“So I heard.” I pulled out of the driveway, not really paying attention to Nick.”

“Shit…news sure travels fast. Anyways, I just wanted you to hear it from me.” He sounded pissed.

“Nick, I don’t have time for this conversation at the moment. We are late for school and work. Can we talk about this tonight?’

“Sure, tell the kids I love them. Bye.” He hung up on me. I knew he was mad. I wasn’t able to stop and give all my attention to him.

A few minutes later, I pulled into the parking lot of the school. Without speeding, I actually made it in time. I rushed the kids into the school. Jackson went to talk to his friends. Rachel followed me into the office.

“Good morning Ashton.”

“Hello, Marla. How was your weekend?’

“I should ask you that. You seem in pretty good spirits, especially after what happened in Atlanta.” She gave me a look of pity.

“What are you talking about?” I was confused, but I assumed it had something to do with my wonderful husband.  “Rachel go stand with your brother.”

Rachel walked into the lobby. I was interested in what Marla had to tell me, but did not want my five year old, hearing bad things about her daddy.

“Well, Nick apparently had a great time at the club. There are photos of him grinding with a group of women at some club. The pictures were very provocative.”

“Oh.” That was about all I could manage to utter. What was Nick thinking? Did he want the whole world knowing he was leaving his wife? What a way to tell the world.

“Are things okay with you and Nick?’ Marla seemed genuinely concerned, even if she was the biggest gossiper on the school staff.

“Well, just like any other couple, we have our issues. It’s between Nick and me. I’m not going to spill the details of my marriage.” I wasn’t about to let her know anything. I already had enough people talking about me because I was married to a celebrity.

I unlocked my room and attempted to prepare for my day. My mind was focused on Nick, as I placed papers on my students’ desks. Before I spent too much time dwelling on my husband, my second graders excitedly entered the room.

 

~ Later in the evening ~

The kids and I had just finished dinner. As the kids played in the yard, I decided to call Nick.

“Ashton.”

“Hello Nick.” I said quietly.

“So who tattled to you about Brian kicking me out?”

“Does it really matter? I’ve heard enough from other people.  I want to hear it from you.” I sighed. This whole situation frustrated me. I was confused and hurt by Nick’s actions.

“ Well…I went out the other night…to a club…all these um..fans…were there and things kinda got out of control.” Nick was afraid to talk to me. I could tell by the way he couldn’t get his words out.

“I heard about the pictures. Is that why Brian kicked you out?”

“Sort of.”

“What does that mean? Sort of?” I raised my voice slightly. I didn’t want the kids to see me upset, but Nick was irritating me.

“You don’t need to get an attitude with me. One of the girls came home with me, but nothing happened.”

“Did she follow you to Brian’s like a lost puppy or did you invite her over?”  He must have thought the divorce was final and he could have any other woman. We were still married even if we were having problems.

“It was a mistake. I had a little too much to drink. I wasn’t thinking clearly.”

“You haven’t done much thinking lately. I don’t know what I did wrong, but we need to work this out. When are you coming home?” I said sadly.

“Friday morning. We can talk, but things aren’t going to change. I made my decision…I’m going to move into a condo when I get home.” What a way to drop a bomb on me? I couldn’t take anymore. This wasn’t the man I loved, honored, and cherished.

“What about the kids? Think about that. I got to go. Bye.” I shut my phone off. I didn’t want to hear from the world.