- Text Size +

I lay on the floor near the bottom step. My body was full of excruciating pain. I was waiting for a phone call or text message from Nick. Tears were falling from my eyes. Why wasn’t he answering his damn phone? Just then I heard my phone beep. Slowly I picked up my phone with my left hand. Finally, Nick responded to my texts.

What’s wrong?

I dialed his number. He answered on the first ring. “Ashton, what the hell is going on?”

“Nick, I tripped down the stairs. I think…I…broke my arm…and my ankle. Can….you…take me…to the…hos...hospital?” I started to feel woozy.

“I’ll be over in a few minutes.” He hung up and rushed to my house.

 I couldn’t keep my eyes open. The pain was dreadful. Giving birth wasn’t this bad. I could feel my ankle start to swell. It seemed like hours past, and Nick still wasn’t here. What was taking so long? Maybe he wasn’t coming. Maybe he was with his new girl and had to wait until she left. Maybe Nick was going to let me die on the floor, so he could save money by not having to pay for a divorce and child support. I started feeling dizzy and the ceiling was spinning. I felt like I was riding the teacups at Disney. After what seemed like a decade, I heard the front door open. My angel had arrived.

“Oh my god, Ashton! What happened?”

“The stupid cat was on the stairs. He wouldn’t move, and I tripped over him. Nick, I just want to go to the hospital.” He bent down next to me. His face only inches from mine.

“Why didn’t you call the ambulance?”

“I’m a little loopy because of the pain. You were the first person I could think of. I’m sorry if I interrupted you. I’m sure you were busy with you new lady friend. I’ll call the ambulance, and you can get on with you life.”

Nick looked at me. He gently played with my hair. “You didn’t interrupt me. I just got off the phone with Brian. I’m going to slowly lift you up and carry you to the Land Rover.”

He carefully picked up. My right arm and left ankle were throbbing with pain. I cried as he carried me to the SUV. I rested my head on his shoulder.”It will be ok, honey. You’ll be feeling good with all those pain pills in your system.” Nick joked with me. I smiled as he helped me into the car.

-----------------------------------------------

“Ashton, you really did a number on yourself. You’re going to have your arm in a cast for the next six weeks. You can’t get your cast wet. You can either wrap it in a plastic bag or your husband can help you bathe.” I rolled my eyes at the doctor. “You ankle is also broken. Do not put any pressure on it for 3 three weeks. After that, I’ll check it and see how it is healing. Then we can determine if you can put pressure on it.”

“Thank you Dr. Collins. So, basically I’m going to need someone helping me with everything.”

“That would be correct. Here is a prescription for vicodin. You are free to go.” Nick chose that minute to come back into the room. He had been extremely attentive in the emergency room. We talked like civilized adults. He even bought me a cat stuffed animal. He thought it was funny because our stupid cat caused this problem.

“Nick, we can leave now.” He pushed the wheelchair out of the hospital and helped me into the car. “Umm…Nick. Can I ask you a question?”

“Sure Ashton.” Nick pulled out of the hospital.

“What are you doing for the next three weeks?”

“Nothing. Why?”

“Do you think you could stay with me? I can’t do anything with these broken bones. The doctor said I even need help getting bathed.”

“I don’t know if that is sure a good idea.” The SUV got quiet. I was hurt and shocked by his response. He wouldn’t even help me when I was injured. What kind of man was Nick?

“The house has stairs. That would never work for you Ashton. You can stay at the condo with me. I will help you with everything, including your baths.” He wiggled his eyes at me. I rolled my eyes.

“Nick, I don’t know.”

“Ashton, you can’t walk. You can’t use your arm. If you want me to help, let me help. I don’t want to be running up and down the stairs all day long. I would rather you come to the condo. I have an extra bedroom you can stay in.”

I didn’t have any other options at this point. “Fine, Nick. I’m sorry for having to impose on you and your new life. I appreciate you helping me.” I looked out the window as we pulled up to his condo.

“Ashton, don’t worry about it. You would help me, if I was in the same situation. Let’s get you settled in. Then I will go back to the house and get anything you need.”

-------------------------------------

Nick was getting ready to go over to the house. I was finishing writing my list. Nick walked into the room. “After I get your stuff, I’m going to pick up some dinner. Do you want Chinese or pizza?”

“Get Chinese. Here’s my list. If you have any questions, please call.” He looked at the list and his eyes grew.

“How much stuff do you need?”

“All of it. If not, I will be a miserable patient.” I smiled at him. He laughed.

“Well I’ll be back in about three days.” Nick joked.

“I didn’t ask for that much stuff. Thanks Nick. This means a lot to me.” He kissed my cheek and left the room.