- Text Size +

“Pick up, pick up…” Nick chanted into the phone as he waited for Veronica to answer her phone.

“Hi, you’ve reached Veronica. I probably didn’t hear my phone since I never take it off of vibrate only.  Leave me a message and I will call you back.”  Nick groaned as the recording came on and told him wait for the beep.

"Veronica, I just wanted to talk about last night.  I like you and I was very nervous.  I am sorry about your coat, your shirt and anything else I destroyed last night.  I hope this won’t keep us from having another date soon. I really enjoy your company.  I’ll talk to you later.” Nick hung up the phone and threw it on the table, falling onto the couch himself.

He turned on his X-Box and loaded his game. Maybe killing some random people will make him feel better about the night before.  It would certainly help him work out any frustrations he had and get his mind off of that gypsy woman and her prediction for his future.

“Gotcha!” Nick called out as he killed user CudaFish141 and the round ended. As he waited for teams to be formed again he felt an urge to munch on some food until he realized that he still did not have any food in the refrigerator. He decided now would be a good a time as any to pick up some food.  He turned off the game and stretched as he stood up.

His phone rang as he started to leave his condo.  “Hello,” He answered after seeing the number was his finance guy.

“Nick, I just wanted to call and let you know that the check has been mailed to that young woman for the difference in her bills.”  He said.

Nick sighed in relief. “So everything’s been taken care of?”

“Yes,” he replied.  They spoke a little longer about various other items before Nick hung up the phone.  It was good that Lindsey got what she needed to get better and replace her car.  He scrolled through his phone and stopped on her number as he thought briefly about calling her and making sure she was doing alright.  He could see the last time he saw her that her arm was still in a cast but he didn’t know how her ribs were doing and if she was feeling okay. 

He hit the home button on his phone and turned the screen off as he put it in his pocket.  She never even texted him after he called her voicemail the other day.  She was probably still upset, it would be best to leave her alone. With those thoughts he headed out the door and to the farmer’s market.

There was a slight breeze as he walked among the stalls at a local farmer’s market he liked to visit every now and again. They offered the freshest produce and had some various other items he enjoyed browsing.  He never told any of the other guys he enjoyed coming to these things and fans had yet to figure it out, it was a little escape for him.

Nick had purchased a few items and was walking around munching on an apple when he saw a familiar face heading his way.  As she approached he turned to look at the stand he was in front of, and groaned when he noticed he was handmade dresses and purses.

“I think that one would look absolutely stunning on you,” He heard Lindsey’s voice come from behind and noticed the dress she was pointing at, a blue floral, strapless dress.

Nick turned to look at her. “I was thinking more along the lines of the purple one.” He motioned his head towards a frilly purple dress.  He leaned closer to and told her, “There’s a purse to match.” He stood straight and took another bite of his apple smiling at her.

“It’s interesting I run into you here,” She smiled at him as she pushed a strand of hair behind her ear. 

“Oh?” Nick asked and motioned to her that they continue to walk instead of standing in front of someone’s booth.

They walked together in silence looking at the various vegetables and fruits as well as a few salsas and dips.  “So, how is it interesting you ran into me?” Nick asked after they were silent too long for Nick’s taste.

Lindsey looked at him and chuckled. “I just thought it was interesting.”  She turned back to the booth she was looking at. 

Nick shook his head.  He could have sworn there was more she was going to say to him.  “How’s work going? Are you still scanning papers?” Lindsey turned to him and looked surprised.

 “What?” He asked. “I can’t remember what you do for a living?”

Lindsey shrugged.  “It hasn’t been too bad, though typing is a bit of an issue.” She held up her cast which had a few pictures drawn on it now.

“I’m sorry,” Nick apologized again.

“Actually, I start a new job next week.  I will be in training for about six weeks so it is kind of perfect timing.” She laughed.  

Nick still felt bad about her arm and running into her but she didn’t seem to be that angry girl from the hospital anymore.   “How come you are being nice?”  He had to ask, he had to know.  She went from hating him to making snide comments, to being congenial and it was confusing him. 

Lindsey paid a woman for the flowers she was holding in her hands and continued walking.  “I could be upset about the situation and gripe but it’s not worth my effort to constantly be mad at you.  Shit happens and I realize now you did more than most people who could’ve run into me.” 

“You mean the money?” He asked remembering the call he got before he left saying that her check was in the mail.

Lindsey shrugged one shoulder.  “There was that, but you came to check on me, you drove me home bought me lunch.  It was above and beyond.  You were trying to make amends, I told myself I would tell you the next time I saw you.” 

It was silent for only a minute as Nick pondered what she said.  “You could have called me.” He said quietly.  “This would have been good to hear.”

“What number was I supposed to call?” She asked.

“I called you the other day, left you a message.”  Nick shot back.

“Nick, your number came up as ‘unknown.’” She smirked at him as he looked at her dumbfounded he had forgotten that his number was blocked.  His thoughts flew to Veronica; he’d called her yet had not given her a return number either.  He groaned at his stupidity.

“What was that for?” Lindsey asked him as they took a seat at a picnic bench.

Nick looked at Lindsey, she looked open to what he was about to tell her.  “A girl that I went on a date last night where anything and everything that could go wrong did go wrong, I called her and left her a message but not my call back number.”

“Everything went wrong? Did you run into her car before the date?” She laughed at her own joke; Nick rolled his eyes not amused by the comment.   “Sorry,” She muttered.

He recounted to Lindsey everything that happened.  It sounded worse when he told her then when he had told Brian the previous night.  Lindsey sat nodding and getting him to continue but without making any snide remarks or jokes about what had happened.  When he finished he put his hands in front of him, playing with the bag his produce was in.

Lindsey at there for a few moments, she appeared to be taking in everything that he has just told her.  “Well,” she started and then paused.  “Well, if you like her then it is good that you called her.  Maybe, since she won’t have your number, try again later tonight?  If she likes you Nick, she will overlook last night and give you another shot.”

Nick too out his phone and looked at the time.  He’d been walking and talking with Lindsey for close to three hours.  It hadn’t felt like it. “Hey Lindsey. I need to get going, I actually have something scheduled this evening, work related.” He smiled apologetically.

She looked at her own watch and gasped. “Lord, I’m late with dinner with my parents.” She stood and grabbed her items that she purchased; Nick took hold of his own bag and then took hers from her.

“Let me carry those for you.”  

She smiled and told him thanks as they walked to her car, it was probably a rental since she would not have received the check yet.  

“Lindsey?” Nick asked, she looked up in his direction.  “Would it be okay if I called you again sometime to talk?”

Lindsey smiled at Nick and started to roll her window up.  “Can’t stop you from calling,” She said before she pulled out of the parking lot leaving Nick standing there watching her leave.