- Text Size +

Nick rapped on Lindsey’s door hoping she would answer before he lost his nerve.  She pulled the door open and looked perplexed to see him standing there in front of her.  Before she could speak, he swept into the room and took her in his arms, his lips colliding with hers. 

“Nick,” Lindsey said as she pushed him away.  “What are you doing?” She looked at him concerned.

“I realized something when I kissed you earlier, Lindsey?” He smiled playing with a strand of her hair.

“You were upset Nick.” She said but did not pull away further.

Nick shook his head.  “No, there was something to that kiss.  Tell me you didn’t feel it.” He held her eyes hoping that she felt something too. 

Now Lindsey pulled away.  “Nick,” She started.  “I can’t…” She started.

“Is it David?” Nick asked trying to move close to her again.

Lindsey looked alarmed that Nick brought David into the conversation.  “No…” She said hesitantly.  “It’s not him.” She said firmly.

“You still haven’t told me that you didn’t feel anything.” Nick smiled at her as he stepped closer.

Lindsey backed away again.  “You were just upset about Veronica.” She stated. 

“I was, but you calmed me down.  You were the one to talk sense into me.  You are my friend and I realized that without you, I’d be lost.  You were the first person I thought to talk about when I overheard her conversation.  I did so much to keep you in my life, Lindsey, I even worked as a server for the chance to apologize and get you back in my life.  The kiss only told me what I think my heart already knew.”

She had managed to stop walking and he was able to pull her into his arms.  Holding her just felt right to him now. 

Lindsey shook her head. “Nick,” a tear fell from her cheek. Nick took it a sign that she was happy he had confessed his feelings, he leaned down to kiss her again but she turned her head and his lips fell on her ear instead.

“Lindsey?”  He asked confused. Had he read her wrong?

“You don’t mean this.” She stated. 

“I think I know what I mean and what I don’t mean.” He stated firmly.  Anger rose slightly, how could she stand there and tell him that he didn’t mean his own feelings?

Lindsey shook her head.  “No, I can’t…” She said before moving towards her room.  Before she turned he could see the tears starting to form in her eyes. “Can you please show yourself out?” She asked before disappearing into her room.

Nick approached her door and stood outside, poised to knock.  He held his hand aloft in the air and listened.  Lindsey was sobbing on the other side of the door.  Had his admission of feelings bothered her that much?  He cursed himself for being so determined to share his feelings.  He assumed she felt the same way, but her reaction told her a different story.

Quietly he turned and left her place.  He turned his car towards home and sighed as he entered his condo, a place he hadn’t seen in a few weeks since he’d been spending most of his time at Veronica’s.  He threw himself on the couch and turned on his video game.  Maybe killing some strangers would put him in a better mood.  

After a couple of hours of killing random people, he decided to call Lindsey and at least apologize.  He hoped that they would be able to stay friends, though he doubted after admitting his feelings, that things would ever be the same between them again.

“Lindsey, this is Nick.  I want to talk about today. No pushing from me about anything more.  I want you in my life and if that is only as your friend then it is how I will take you.   Please call me back.” Nick gave remembered to give her his phone number before disconnecting the line.   He tossed his phone down and reached for his guitar. 

He slouched back on the couch and started to strum his fingers on the guitar strings.  “It was just one kiss…” he sang as he hummed a melody along with the sound of the guitar.   His mind lingered on the kiss he shared with Lindsey, he couldn’t help himself. 

The sound of the phone ringing broke him out of his thoughts and he pounced on his phone. His heart sank when he saw Veronica’s name on the caller ID. 

“What do you need Veronica?” He asked.  He knew his voice was cold sounding but he didn’t want to give in to her and he knew with how he was feeling, the chances were high she could get him to come back to her place that very instant.

The other side of the line was silent for a pause before Veronica continued.  “Nick, can we please just talk about what happened today?”

Nick was silent for a good amount of time, he was sure she was looking at her phone to double check that the line was still active and that he hadn’t hung up on her.  “Fine,” He muttered.  It was the least he could do.  Maybe it was a misunderstanding.  He was afraid he’d pushed Lindsey away, would it be so bad to hear Veronica out and give her another shot.

They agreed to meet at the restaurant of their first date the following evening.  Nick needed a day to himself.  He needed to work more on his album, plus he wanted to know this big news his manager was telling him about.

He put his guitar down and picked up his game controller again, hoping that killing more people will calm him before tomorrow evening.

Chapter End Notes:

probably not what you were expecting and frankly rather short.