- Text Size +
Nick sat on the bumper of his car from a nearby parking lot as he watched the medics help the woman out of her car and strap her down to the board, securing her head in case of a concussion. The police officer in front of him was talking but Nick wasn't listening to the words that were being spoken. He kept watching the young woman being loaded into the ambulance and hoped that there was nothing seriously wrong.

“Mr. Carter, I need you to answer these questions.” The officer was snapping his fingers in front of Nick's face to bring get his attention to answer the questions.

“What? Sorry.” Nick apologized and looked back to the officer. “What was the question?”

“We have several witnesses that say you ran the red light. What were you doing?”

He ran his hands through his blond hair and sighed. He could try to talk his way out of this then have his lawyers settle with the girl and the insurance companies, but ever since he got clean he'd been trying to do the right thing. “I wasn't paying attention officer. It was my fault.”

“Well there's something new, a famous persona taking responsibility.” The officer said with a cocky smirk. “It's a good thing, really.”

The officer took the rest of the information and then wrote up the ticket, the officer handed him the ticket and then got back to the scene of the accident. Nick sat watching the scene a little longer then decided he needed to try to salvage his date. Since he agreed to meet the woman online, he did not have her contact information and he did not give his out unless he was certain he would not have another Jess on the other end. The only thing he could do was go to the restaurant they were planning to meet at and hope she was still there, it was a long shot but he would give it a chance.

When he arrived at the restaurant he told the hostess that he was meeting someone and looked around the for the flower that the girl said she'd have with her. Glancing around it was apparent that the woman was no longer in the restaurant or never showed up at all. He sighed to himself and left the restaurant, there was nothing he had to be doing, nothing planned for the rest of the evening so he drove around, careful not to let his thoughts get the better of him again.

Unfortunately, his mind had better ideas and started to wander on its own. His thoughts moved towards the woman from the car he hit. She was close to shock when the ambulance arrived. Soon he found himself turning down the roads that lead to the hospital. He pulled into a spot and looked around wondering what he was doing there.

Swallowing hard, Nick got out of his car and wandered into the hospital.

“Hi, there was a girl brought in about an hour or two ago and I was wondering how she was doing?” Nick asked the lady sitting behind the counter in the ER.

The nurse looked up over her glasses. “And you are?” Her nasal, overworked voice asked.

If you asked him later, Nick would not be able to explain why he did what he did next. It's not like he needed to make up a story, he was sure he'd be able to visit her if she wasn't in intensive care. “I'm not related to her yet. We've been dating for about a year now and I was hoping to ask her to marry me, she's was on her way to meet me when...” He paused for dramatic effect.

“Well,” the woman glanced down at the paperwork in front of her. “Follow me.” She started walking away from the desk, turned slightly, “You coming?” She asked.

Glancing around to make sure no one he knew could see what he was doing, he followed the nurse through the ER corridors and into a room with a few beds, curtains drawn around each. “She's here.” The nurse pulled the last curtain slightly and let him slip inside.

“Thanks,” he murmured and shuffled into the chair that was near the bed. The woman had her eyes closed on the bed, her breathing was steady. He noticed her head had several stitches and her left arm was in a cast. He wasn't sure what was in the IV bags dripping into her arm but he was sure it had something with pain killers in it.

“What are you doing here?” The woman's voice snapped him out of the nap he'd been taking. “Didn't feel you'd done enough damage you had to come visit me and see what else you could do?”

The blond man sat in the chair speechless. “I...” he started to speak.

“I suppose you can find your way out?” She asked cringing as she moved to sit up on the bed.

“I just came by to make sure you were okay. I feel extremely bad about what happened.” He ran his hands through his hair.

Before she could answer or he could leave, the curtain was pulled back and a nurse came walking into the area. “Well now, sitting up and with such a good looking visitor.” The nurse, whose name tag read Meg, winked at the woman in the bed. “How are we feeling now Lindsey?”

“I'd feel better if 'he' would leave.” Lindsey jerked her head in Nick's direction.

“I was just on my way out.” Nick hung his head and moved to leave. He left the hospital unsure why he went in the first place. What did he hope to accomplish with that anyway?