- Text Size +
Hallo, buddy.

It feels strange writing you a letter that I don’t intend to give you until after. Writing words for someone when you can never add to them or subtract from them is a scary feeling, I must say. I feel as though I need to be extremely clear or else some part of this will be lost forever. But what I have to tell you today is important, and if you’re reading this now, then it is more important that you know these things than it ever was before.

Nick, I don’t know how I died, obviously. I don’t know who was with me or where I was or how traumatizing or quick or any of that it was. But if I hurt you in my dying, if you are in any way feeling as though you are to blame or anything like that, you listen to me, okay? You were the driving force that kept me going for so long. If you hadn’t done all the things you did, I would’ve died in a hospital bed hooked up to some chemotherapy thing or in an Intensive Care Unit in a coma. Because of you, I had the bravery to choose to leave, to experience life, and to be with my family.

So no matter what Kevin or anyone else thinks or says, you saved me.

I can’t imagine what you’re going through. I have spent countless hours trying to put myself into your shoes, to try to figure out what to say to you to make it better, to stop the pain you feel. But when I imagined what I would have felt if our situations were reversed, if it was me losing you… G’Lord, Frack, I couldn’t do it. You’re being so strong and I’d be so weak. But I did think of a few things, little things, that maybe will help to ease the pain, and hopefully will bring some smiles.

I don’t want to be remembered with tears; that was the whole point of opting out of the treatment. I wanted Baylee to be happy when he thought of his daddy, and I want Leighanne to know she had a husband who stood by her as long as he could. I want you to know that your best friend had the time of his life with you on his way out.

Over the past couple months, we made incredible memories, Nick. But we already had a lot of really great ones up our sleeves, didn’t we? Frick & Frack forever, man! I mean we really had some great times together, and they’re treasures to me. I can only pray they’re treasures to you, also.

So c’mon, Frack… let’s do this. Let’s remember it all like it was yesterday, huh?