- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This is probably one of my favorite chapters, so let me know what you think! Enjoy

After quickly brushing through some of the hairspray I managed to get my hair into a fishtail braid. I headed to the tentative calendar to see what to wear for the challenge. The word tentative is used extremely loosely around this place. Things changed here anytime Carson had had the slightest inkling of a wrinkle. You would think he was the star.

Challenge #3: Chic loungewear, no shoes necessary. Event will take place solely indoors.

Chic loungewear? Kind of an oxymoron if you asked me. I changed into a pair of linen pants and purple v-neck and went on my way into the living room.

As I walked in, most of the girls were in low cut tank tops and tight booty shorts. Oh so by chic, they meant skanky. I’ll note that for future reference.

I found a spot next to Landry, on the couch and waited for the others to file in.

“So, you feel good about this challenge?” I asked her.

“I just hope it’s a trivia one. I know everything about Nick. Which is why I’m a little surprised he’s doing this show. It just seems so beneath him now that he’s finally cleaned up his life. But then again, I heard that his next solo album is like pure pop. He obviously forgot he’s more into rock.” She babbled on and on.

What was this girl’s deal? Was she his life coach?

“Wow, you see to know a lot about him,” I might have been egging her on at this point just to see what else would come out of her mouth.

“I was the first fan that he followed on Twitter, so obviously he’s in love with me after reading my posts about him. One of the production assistants told me that he personal chose me to do this show,” she paused then looked at me and continued, “Oh, I didn’t even think how I’m probably breaking your heart now that you know I’ve already won this show.”

Yes, Cookoo bird, you crushed my soul. How will I ever go on?

Thank goodness Landry’s biggest fan, Nick walked in with Carson. I really don’t know how he had the self-control to not leap into her arms every time.

Carson motioned for us to get quiet before he started to talk, “Ladies, congratulations on making it to the final nine. The last couple of challenges focused on more physical ability, but today we’ll be testing your mental abilities, as well as allowing you to showcase some of your personalities.”

I think it’s safe to say that I was on the high end of the learning curve with this group.

Nick stepped forward in jeans and a shirt that had a man sitting on a recliner with the words “American Idle”. Just because you’re hot, doesn’t mean you can still pull this stuff off. Between that shirt and some of the outfits these girls wore, you would think hiring a stylist would be a priority.

“Anyone that knows me knows how important humor is to me. I love laughing and making people laugh. Today’s challenge is all about parodies.”

He stepped to the side and Carson began to give instructions, “You will each be a in group of three and will have three hours to rewrite any song you wish, Backstreet or not into a parody.”

Nick set down a giant fishbowl filled with paper in front of him on a table.

“Jo, since you won the last challenge you’ll get to choose your team first. please come up and pull two pieces of paper from the bowl,” He said.

Jo walked up and tentatively pulled a piece of paper out of the bowl.

“Landry”

Landry jumped up and down and walked down to join Jo. Jo reached in to grab another slip.

Please don’t say my name, please don’t say my name, please don’t say my name.

“Megan”

Megan walked down and stood with her team. She didn’t look happy or sad. Now that I think about it, I don’t think I ever saw her experience either emotion.

“Now I would like Emily to come up choose her team since she was runner-up,” Nick said.

I walked up and pulled a name out. I looked at it and released a sigh filled with relief and dread.

“Aspen”

She walked up as I pulled another slip of paper out.

“Kelsey”

I was ambivalent about that choice but hoped she wouldn’t be a complete bitch for the next three hours.

My team stepped to the side as Nick walked up again.

“That leaves Brittany, Cindy and Candy left. I’ll meet you in three hours. With that, gotta go!” He said before laughing at himself.

The room split into three and went to claim a spot in the house.

Landry or Cookoo Bird, as I will know think of her, took her group upstairs to one of the bedrooms. I thought I heard Brittany mention going to the bar with her group. I didn’t really think drinking was a good idea in this case, but who was I to judge.

We went over to one of the large bay windows overlooking the backyard and got comfortable in our neon beanbags.

Suddenly, a light bulb went off in my head before we even began.

“Hey, Aspen do you have your guitar here by any chance?” I asked nervously. I knew she wouldn’t be keen on my idea.

She peered at me before answering, “Yes, why?”

“Well, I had this idea-“

Before I could continue, Kelsey butted in, “I’m glad ya’ll got this under control. I have a huge headache so I’m going to go outside and take a nap. Come wake me up when you need me.”

With that, she walked off. I guess we were a duo.

“Anyway, I was thinking that we should take advantage of the fact you look like Miley Cyrus.”

“You mean that Miley Cyrus looks like me. And the answer is no.” She crossed her arms and stared me down.

“Hear me out. I know the other groups will pick a Backstreet Boys song. We could do an acoustic version of one of her songs,” I pleaded.

“I’m trying to get away from that connection. This isn’t going to help my case.”

She didn’t say no. I was making progress.

“It’ll be a little different. Do you really want to be like the other groups and do some cutesy version of a Backstreet Boys song? This will totally show off your musical talent.”

I saw her face relax and she appeared to be mulling it over. Come on Aspen…

I had completely forgotten about this morning’s conversation and how I was planning on avoiding her.

Winning was more important at this point. I would deal with what she knew later.

“Fine, let’s figure out what song and you need to get me some sheet music. This better not be stupid shit.”

It was a Miley Cyrus song, of course it was going to be stupid. But I wasn’t about to tell her that. I jumped up and hugged her.

She quickly froze and pulled away before adding, “Hurry, let’s figure out the song. I want to go smoke while you’re getting the music.”

“Party in the USA,” I answered immediately.

Honestly, that was the only song by her I knew, but it was my guilty pleasure. It was so bubblegum and catchy.

Aspen just shrugged and walked to the backyard while I went off to find the lyrics and sheet music.