- Text Size +

I woke up the next morning feeling better. I wasn’t coughing up glitter and rainbows, but I managed to put a smile on my face. I was halfway through week two of being in this house, I had no idea where I had even managed to find that smile from.

It was challenge day and as I checked the itinerary my smile quickly left my face.

Challenge #5: Clothes and shoes will be provided for everyone. Any athletic support or brace required by staff medical team at time of pre-show screening must be worn.

He was a singer not a personal trainer. What was with all these physical events. Okay, so walking up a hill wasn’t that draining, but still.

Our room was unusually quiet as we all got ready. Candy had her hair in these ridiculous pigtails complete with pink bows before she finished her full face of makeup. I hoped our challenge had something to do with water. I was in a bad mood. Candy was nice to everyone, especially me. She didn’t deserve that, even if those thoughts were solely in my head.

Our outfits were brought to our rooms, black spandex shorts and sports bras. Really VH1? If we were wrestling in jello, KY jelly or anything else I was walking out.

“Please meet in the backyard in five minutes for today’s challenge,” Carson barked over the intercom.

I quickly changed and strapped on my knee brace as ‘required’. We all walked out of the room and headed outside.

Once outside, we were greeted by Carson in a white and black referee shirt and black pants. We were each handed cleats to put on. Nick was absent. He better not have broke free from this place.

After our shoes were on, we all just stood around waiting for whatever was suppose to happen. Just then Nick came running around the hedges on the far side of the yard. He looked like a little boy playing dress up. Definitely, a little boy because I couldn’t quite tell what exactly he was. His face was covered in red paint. He had on a pirate’s hat, eye patch and was carrying a red foam finger in one hand and red flag in the other. As he was running across the yard, he was yelling incoherently. I couldn’t tell if he was trying to be a pirate or a crazy person.

When he came into view I saw the logo of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on his shirt. I did an inward squeal and stopped myself from jumping up and down. He wasn’t a crazy person, just a football fan. I grew up in Texas, high school football was everything. It was basically required by law to be a fan of football. The law was not needed to be enforced in my case, I loved football. It was something my dad and I had a deep bond over. I was the son he never had. Yeah, he had Andy but in his case, he was much more of a daughter.

“Arrrgh, are these women trying to steal me pirate booty, Cap’t Carson?” Nick struggled as he tried to keep character. I think he was just wanted to throw in the word booty. The rest of us just laughed at his ridiculousness.

Carson seemed not too keen on his part, but kept with it anyway.

“Ye must be mistaken. They just want a chance to win your heart.” He did a pretty good pirate voice for the first part, but just kind of lost it toward the end. At this point, Nick had obviously given up on his act and removed his eye patch.

“One thing that’s important to know is that if I’m going to date anyone, especially during the fall they have to appreciate football. Because I will be watching it, talking about it, thinking about it, and tweeting about it from the time pre-season starts until the Super Bowl.”

Carson then started to talk, “You’ll be placed into two teams, the Black team and the Blue team, named after the Backstreet Boys third US album. You will then get an hour to practice and then it’s game time.”

As our names were called we were handed jerseys and flags. I took my blue jersey and walked toward Megan who was the only person on my team so far. Candy and Brittany joined our team and our hour started.

“First thing’s first, who knows how to play four-on-four?” I asked.

Candy was the first to reply, “We’re playing flag football, not whatever you said.”

Maybe I shouldn’t have said anything. I quickly explained that we were playing four people against four so that’s what it was called. Brittany disappeared and then returned with paper and a pencil.

“I played on an intramural league in college, but I only run and catch the ball, so I hope you can write some plays…and throw,” she said as she handed me the paper and pencil.

“You just became my new best friend,” I replied before Candy let our a moan and crossed her arms.

I turned to her, “Don’t worry, you’ll catch on. Plus you took out Lacey like a champ, defense will be all you.” Her face lit up. That totally made up for the mean thoughts I had about her earlier today.

Brittany and I took turns explaining the quick basics to Megan and Candy before getting started with running routes. It wasn’t the NFL by any means, but we would manage.

I was a little worried when I saw the look in Candy’s eyes when I explained to her that her role would be to guard me, the quarterback, from the other team. I wasn’t sure if she understood the concept or just didn’t like the fact that she wouldn’t get to tackle anyone.

For the last five minutes we just stood around throwing the football back and forth to loosen up. I noticed Nick out of the corner of my eyes sitting on a couch that had magically appeared on the sidelines. He looked very comfortable and still had his foam finger on.

I had completely forgotten about him before but now I could feel the butterflies form in my stomach as he looked over and waved. I just looked at him for a minute before I remembered to wave back. Pull it together Emily!

I watched the other side of the yard for a few moments to see how our opponents measured up. Kelsey was fast, but she couldn’t catch a ball to save her life. Aspen looked like she would rather be shot than go through even five more minutes of this. Jo wasn’t bad, from what I could tell she would most likely be quarterback. Landry seemed pretty decent too. I’m sure she knew Nick liked football long ago and had since became a fan.

Carson called us all together to explain the rules once more. I couldn’t tell what kind of mood he was in. They were usually extremely clear cut; TV Carson and Angry, Real-Life Carson. For once just seemed normal. Maybe his botox had done something for his mood.

“Each team was given a copy of all the rules, but I just want to reiterate that this is flag football. That means no tackling. Each quarter will last fifteen minutes. Nick will be doing the official coin toss to see who gets the ball first.”

Nick walked up, “I’ve always wanted to do this.” He pulled a quarter from his pocket and flipped it. Landry and Brittany each called out a side while it flew in the air toward the ground.

Nick behind over to look at it. My eyes might have strayed toward his butt for a couple of seconds. Okay, I was totally checking him out. He was right there.

“It’s heads! Team Blue gets the ball,” he handed the ball to Brittany before continuing, “Remember please be careful ladies. You are all too beautiful to get hurt.”

As we all awed over his comment, he took off toward the couch with Carson. There was an actual real referee for our game. I guess Carson’s outfit was just for show.

I motioned for our team to huddle up for a pep talk. Nick’s back end was a thing of the past. I was in full game mode.

“We got this guys, just focus. Candy, remember to keep your hands behind your back.”

“Megan keeping looking at Emily in case I can’t get open, she can’t run in four-on-four so it’s up to you and me,” Brittany added.

Megan nodded and Candy spoke up, “Do we get to all put our hands in and yell something?”

Brittany laughed and nodded, “It’s all you Candy.”

Candy thought for a moment and then stuck her hand out while we all placed our on hers.

“Goooo Nick’s Blue team!”

We all just shrugged and then repeated it. We were all off and it ended up sounding like a jumbled mess. Oh well, hopefully our game will be better.

I yelled hike and Candy spiked the ball to me. I took a couple steps back and looked around. Brittany was already halfway down the field, so I quickly threw it toward her. Holy crap, she was fast. I was going to throw out my shoulder getting it to her.

She caught the ball and ran right into the end zone then proceeded to curtsy for everyone. Boom goes the dynamite!

We lined up at defense. Seconds later, the ball bounced off Landry’s fingertips and right toward my chest. I cradled the ball and took off running a couple of yards before Jo pulled my flag.

The first half continued in this fashion until the whistle blew, signaling halftime. We walked to our respective sides to get water, while Nick joined us.

“Brittany, I’m going to need you to slow down out there. It’s a little ridiculous.” He winked at her. She flung her long brown ponytail behind her shoulder and just shrugged.

“I’m sure you give me more of a challenge,” she said in a low voice.

Nick chuckled at her and then elbowed me, “I know I should have learned not to be shocked by you, but you said you had no athletic talent.”

I took a drink of water before replying, “I know football and I’m good at strategy. I just throw the ball down the field and Brittany gets to it. And Candy’s giving me the time. My talent is an optical illusion.”

He looked down at me and rolled his eyes.

“Whatever you say, I’m going to head over and give the other team a pep talk.” He smiled at me before leaving.

As he walked across the make-shift field I wistfully imagined him in tight football pants and me giving him a slap on the butt. What? It’s what football players do. I continued to daydreaming about Nick until the whistle blew signaling half time over.

We went back on the field and the other team just looked pissed, even Aspen. But I think she was pissed to still be playing. Landry walked over to Kelsey and whispered in her ear before lining up. They had been complaining the whole first half about us playing unfair.

I yelled hike, caught the ball and that’s the last thing I remember before everything went black.