- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I know I've taken a hiatus, but I'll be posting more regularly now. I graduated! And the NKOTBSB inspired the heck out of me!

The next morning I wasn’t as shocked when I woke up to Nick’s eyes staring down at me. I wonder if his room was covered in posters of himself?

 

It was still relatively early and my sweet roomies were still sleeping. Hopefully, the rest of the house was too. Maybe I would finally get some peace in this place.

 

I got a cup of tea and walked outside with a book. It was a perfect seventy degrees, not a person in sight and an ocean view. I could definitely get used to this. I found a little hidden area on the opposite side of the yard and made myself comfortable.

 

Fifteen pages into my book, I felt someone staring. There wasn’t giggling so it wasn’t Candy. I pulled my book down slowly.

 

Eyes. I screamed.

 

“I usually get a different kind of scream.”

 

It was real Nick, not poster Nick.

 

“Sorry, but your face is about one foot from mine when I sleep. “

 

He looked freaking adorable with his hair ruffled. Then I glanced down at his camouflage cargo shorts. Really, are you going hunting anytime soon?

 

“I know, isn’t it ridiculous?” He asked as he sat down in the bean bag next to me. I quickly realized he was talking about the house and not his shorts.

 

I laughed a little and replied, “Yeah, it’s a bit excessive.”

 

He picked up my book from the ground and handed it back to me.

 

“Hmm, ‘Blink: How to Think without Thinking’? I would think you would be brushing up on the housing market, Ms. Real Estate Agent.” He placed his feet on the bean bag I was using for a foot rest and leaned back. Make your self at home Mr. Popstar.

 

“Oh heavens no. That’s boring. I got my degree in psychology, I could read this stuff all day.” I continued to ramble on about what the book was actually about, before I remembered this was Nick Carter.

 

“Sorry, sometimes I get carried away.” I could feel his eyes on me, probably thinking I was some weirdo.

 

“No, I actually thought it sounds interesting. I do read you know.”

 

He gently elbowed me before continuing, “Us, natural blondes have to prove the world wrong on that misconception.”

 

So did he think my blonde hair was natural? Or was he admitting that his wasn’t and letting me know that he knew mine wasn’t either? Why was I suddenly overanalyzing everything? And why was I still asking myself so many questions?

 

He was looking out at the ocean, so he probably didn’t notice my internal dialogue.

 

He then looked at me and asked, “Why do you sell houses if your degree is in psychology?”

 

“I worked for my aunt right out of college for a couple of years, then she wanted a break and handed me the business. I’ve always thought about going back to school, but it never seemed to be the right time.” I finished and took a sip of my tea.

 

It was something I thought about every day. I loved my job most of the time. The other times I couldn’t stand it.

 

“I think you should go back, the world needs more psychologists and less real estate agents.”

 

I laughed out loud, “You can say that again. I guess, I’m just nervous about new beginnings. It’s always easier to say you’re going to do something than to actually do it.”

 

Why was I sharing all of this with him?

 

“See you’re already sounding like a therapist.”

 

And with that the intercom came on announcing the first elimination in two hours.

 

“Dun Dun Dunnnn,” Nick made a big dramatic rise from his seat before continuing, “I better get ready to break some hearts.”

 

“I thought you said you would never do that?” I joked as I stood up and stretched.

 

“I’ll never break your heart. You’re a funny one.” He started walking toward his house on the other side of the tall hedge before turning around.

 

“See you later preppie.”

 

What the hell? How did he…? Oh yeah, I was wearing my Saved By The Bell shirt and sweatpants still.  He obviously has great taste in TV. Well, maybe not this show.

 

Cute, you’re real cute Mr. Carter.