- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry it took so long and is so short. Nick is next.
Brian


Brian sat outside the studio unsure if he should exit his car and enter. He was early, the other guys had all texted they were on their way after he had arrived. He had two choices. He could sit in the car waiting for the others to arrive and then go in with them, or he could go in now and be at Stephanie’s mercy.

He decided to sit in the car and wait. He watched the people going into and leaving the building. A few would glance his way but none gave a second look at him. He turned the radio on to give him a form of company as he waited. It turned out to be a bad decision.

Sandra’s favorite song “Iris” from the Goo Goo Dolls blared from the radio. Unwilling to let a rush of new memories flood through him, he pulled the keys from the ignition and practically ran inside the building. ‘Please,’ he prayed as he moved towards the doors. ‘God help me be strong enough to love Sandra but move on from the sadness.’

“Brian, how are you?” Stephanie’s voice caught his ear as soon as he walked inside the building. Why did she always seem to be at the front desk when he arrived?

“How are you?” He replied amiably.

“I’m great.”

“I thought you were Mr. Mitchell’s assistant. What are you doing at the front desk?”

“I am covering for Josie. She needed a quick break so I told her I would watch things up here.” Her movement was quick, but Brian was sure she winked at him.

“You have a session today?” Her voice said question but there was something in her face that led Brian to believe that she knew they had a session today and probably was covering for her friend just to talk to him when he arrived.

“Yup and I arrived way earlier than the other guys. Would I be able to head back now?” He was leaning on the reception desk towards Stephanie.

“I could let you back, if...” She paused and smiled warmly at Brian.

“If...?”

“Come with me to have a drink when you are through for the evening.” Stephanie grinned broadly.

Brian was tempted to tell her that he would take a rain check when Nick's comments and his own brief prayer flashed into his mind. “I'd like that.” He muttered.

“I understand if … wait did you say you'd come?” Her voice was astonished.

“Yah, I'd like to join you.”

“Okay,” She blushed. “I have friends coming too so if you want to bring the guys too, that'd be cool.”

“I'll let them know.” He smiled warmly at Stephanie. The first really warm smile he had given her since first meeting her. Her face turned a darker shade of crimson as she told him that he could go back to wait for the others.

Brian sat in the studio with a technician going over some of the previous sessions recordings when the other guys arrived. He watched as they took their seats talking about some thing or another, Brian hadn't paid attention to the conversation.

“Hey Bri, you look distracted.” Nick finally noticed him.

“I did it Nick.” He smiled at his friend. “I agreed to meet Stephanie for after we finish here.”

AJ, Nick, and Howie all turned to look at him and offer their congratulations. It was at this moment that an extreme feeling of guilt washed over him. He tried to hide it but from Nick's expression he could tell that it was apparent what he was feeling. When the other guys turned away to start working on another song, Nick moved his chair closer to Brian.

“Brian, she would want you to be happy.” Nick said, playfully punching Brian's arm. “You are doing the right thing.”

“Why do I feel guilty about it then?” He was asking the question more to himself then to Nick, but Nick answered.

“It's because of the man you are. You loved her with all your heart and you are afraid that if you give someone else even a part of your heart that you are lessening your love for Sandra.” Nick's words and soft tones made Brian think he'd been watching too many episodes of Oprah lately.

“Come with me.” Brian blurted out. “She said I could invite a guys and it would be easier for me if you were there.”

“You got it bro.” Nick grinned.

“Who knows, maybe you will find a girl tonight too.” Brian smacked Nick back. He was feeling somewhat better. He caught his friend look at his wrist before mumbling “yah sure.”

“Promise me Nick, if I go through this tonight and have fun, promise me you will go out with someone to dinner at least.”

“Are we going to work today?” AJ called out to them.
Brian held up his finger. “Nick?”

“I Promise Brian.”