- Text Size +
Chapter 2

“Hey!” I called immediately as I walked into the house.

“Kitchen,” I heard him answer and ran into it.

“Hi Brent,” I grinned as I saw him and Nick sitting at the table.

“Hey Ally, how was school?”

I was excited about being free for the summer. “I’m free!”

“You gonna stick around tonight?”

“Nope! I’m going out tonight to celebrate!” Every summer before we left, Nick had friends over to drink and play poker and say goodbye and I made sure to stay away all night.

“With Chels?” I opened the fridge and took out an apple.

“Brandon,” I said.

He paused. “Come again?”

“Brandon,” I chopped the apple into slices and looked up when I swear I could feel him watching me. Turns out they both were, with suspicious eyes no less. “We’re just going to the movies.”

“Is he a boyfriend,” he asked and I bit my lip.

“Maybe,” I said softly. Nick froze and Brent chuckled.

“Is it serious?”

“Define serious.”

“Has he kissed you?”

“What,” I so wasn’t going to answer that. “Whatever.”

“Is he picking you up?”

I narrowed my eyes, “why?”

“I want to meet him,” he said casually but I knew better.

“No way!” There was no way they were going to meet, especially tonight. He would be drinking and I know his loose tongue when he drinks. He raised his eyebrows at me suspiciously but didn’t say anything. “All of your friends will be here and stuff.”

“I want you home by ten.”

“Nick,” I said.

“That’s not my name,” he said.

“It’s not?”

“Not for you,” he glared at me. “I want you home by ten.”

My jaw clenched, “but it’s Friday!”

“We have an early flight tomorrow,” he reasoned.

I glared at him, “Who cares? You’re having people over.”

“Ten,” he repeated.

“Twelve,” I crossed my arms, hoping that it would help my case.

“You want to argue? You don’t have to leave the house at all,” he crossed his arms, and I have to admit, it worked better for him. I looked over at Brent but before I could say anything he interrupted, “don’t look at him; he’s not going to help you.”

“Fine, fucking ten,” I snapped as I stomped out of the room.

“Alexandra,” he called and I stopped.

“What,” I didn’t dare turn around because I knew the look he was giving me. I sighed and slumped my shoulders in defeat, “Fine, sorry.” I quickly walked out of the room and then ran up to my bedroom.

I slammed the car door and opened the gate as I heard Brandon drive away. As soon as I couldn’t hear the car anymore, I felt the tears slip from my eyes. I navigated my way through the sea of cars that were in the driveway and sat on the front steps so I could calm down before I went inside. I went into the kitchen, grabbed a bottle of water, and stopped when I heard someone calling my name. I looked out back on the porch, and saw them all. I saw Nick immediately shrug the woman that was hanging all over him off. I rolled my eyes and turned away. I was not in the mood to see another whore throw herself at my father. “Come sit out here with us,” I heard Brent say followed by a chorus of agreements.

“No thanks,” I said, walking back into the kitchen.

“You’re home early,” Brent said as he opened the fridge and got out another beer. I heard Nick call and ask him to get him another too. He stopped and looked at me, “you okay?”

“Fine,” I mumbled. “Tell Nick I went for a walk.”

I went upstairs to change and literally ran into Nick as I walked out of my bedroom. “You okay?”

“Fine,” I said, trying to move around him. I didn’t feel like talking to anyone, especially him.

“No you’re not.”

“Yes, I am,” I said slowly. “I’m going for a walk.” I closed my eyes when he put his hands on my shoulders to stop me. “What,” I snapped.

“Did he hurt you?”

“I don’t want to talk about it,” I glared at him. I turned back around and walked into my bedroom, slamming the door behind me. Did he hurt me? I was grateful when he didn’t follow me into my room like I thought he was going to. Did he hurt me? No Nick, he just told me I wasn’t worth having a long distance relationship with since I was gone for the summer. I wasn’t worth it.

It opened an old wound.

It reminded me of my mother. I wasn’t worth it to her, why would I think I was worth it to someone else. I took a deep breath; I needed to get over it. I heard a knock on the door and rolled my eyes when it opened. I felt the bed dip and a hand run over my hair. When I was growing up, we had a nightly routine. Nick would sing to me and smooth my hair until I fell asleep. It was something that never failed to relax me, even today. He didn’t say anything, and I knew what that meant. It meant I could not talk either and we would just sit with each other, which we did often if one of us hated the world. Each other’s company was all we needed. “He said I wasn’t worth it,” I mumbled, the silence killing me even though it was comforting.

His hand stopped and tensed, “he doesn’t know what he’s talking about.”

“Well he’s right,” I mumbled into my pillow. “I’m not.”

“Stop,” it sounded like he was rolling his eyes.

“Well it’s true,” I snapped. “You’re still here because she abandoned me first.” I closed my eyes and flexed my jaw as soon as the words were out of my mouth.

Crap. Crap. Crap.

His whole body tensed and he stood up, walking away from the bed. I flinched when the door slammed behind him. I was in so much trouble.