- Text Size +
Chapter 25

Alex and Nina had gone away somewhere. He had come back for a short time to pack a bag. Nina had stayed in the car the entire time while I had cornered Alex into a corner in the guestroom.

“Where are you going?”

“Nina and I are headed somewhere to try and work some things out.”

“Nick told me,” he didn’t look up at me, “that she was your sponsor.” He still didn’t look up at me.

“She still is. And right now, I need that more than I need a wife.”

“Will you be back?”

He finally looked up at me, “not sure Ally. It depends on how this weekend goes.”

“Well,” I frowned, “I hope you don’t come back. It’s not that I don’t want to see you here, it just means that if you’re not here, then you’re with her. And that’s where you need to be.”

“Thanks baby.”

“Once all this sadness passes, we’ll be stronger.” He smiled. “Nick told me that.”

“Your Dad can be smart when he wants to be,” he chuckled. “But I think he gets all of his insightful wisdom from Brian.”

I laughed; it was probably true.

“How come Nina stayed in the car?”

He sighed, “Because she doesn’t want to take the focus away from why she’s really here.”

“I’m proud of you, that you took the smart way out instead of the easy way.”

He slung his bag over his shoulder, “I don’t want to see that Alex any more than anyone else does. I’m not giving him a reason to come back.” He kissed my cheek, “I hope you get everything worked out honey. Call me if you need me.” I wouldn’t but nodded anyways.

He finished packing and I went to my window and waved to Nina. After a moment, she smiled and waved back, but didn’t step out of the car.

BJ was in the kitchen cooking Nick and I the dinner that she promised to cook before she invaded my space with Jen. She asked what I wanted and I told her that it didn’t matter, she didn’t even have to cook. I knew she was trying to win me over, but it wasn’t necessary. Nick wasn’t about to pass up the opportunity for a gourmet made meal. He requested Filet Mignon with all the trimmings. He made sure there were French fries and onion rings, corn, string beans and a decadent dessert. I didn’t care in the slightest but Nick seemed hell bent on making sure BJ slaved in the kitchen.

“Dinner is served,” BJ smiled from the doorway.

I followed her down into the kitchen and grinned when I saw Chelsea sitting at the table. “What are you doing here?”

Nick smiled, “I invited her for dinner, is that okay?”

“Yes!” I wrapped my arms around Chelsea and sat next to her. It was so good to see her out of school.

“I was going crazy without you,” she squeezed me back.

“Aren’t you joining us BJ?” She had put all of the food out on the table but had started to walk out of the kitchen.

“No,” she smiled, “I have somewhere I need to be.”

Once she left I turned to Nick, “you basically made her slave over a meal she wasn’t going to eat?”

“Who cares?” His mouth was full of steak, “it tastes great!” Chelsea agreed, taking a generous bite of her steak as well.

It did taste good. “Don’t you think we took advantage of her?”

“It’s not taking advantage if she wanted to do it Ally. She owed us dinner, and a favor.” I nodded and let it go. I could forgive BJ, but I'd be lying if I said there wasn't a part of me that wanted to make her pay just a little bit. I was only human.

“Do you know where she went?”

“She went to look for an apartment,” Nick said with his mouth full, again. It grossed me out but it no doubt was endearing to Chelsea. Gross.

I grinned, “She’s moving here?”

“She’s going to try. She wants to make a change.”

BJ had a hard time dealing with change, that’s why she looked towards trouble. If she got into enough trouble, then things would go back to the way they were. It never worked, it only brought more trouble, and backlash. After my grandparents got divorced, she had moved in with Papa Bob in Miami. She went out every single night and she came running to Nick when she was kicked out of the house when the cleaning lady found some drugs. Nick never told me what they were, but Papa Bob was so laid back that I knew it must’ve been something serious if he kicked her out. Nick didn’t let her stay here until she got some help so she admitted herself into Rehab. The only problem was that when trouble started back up, she went right back to causing trouble.

So for BJ to say she wanted a change, meant she was serious. I was glad that I was taking a second chance with her. “Woohoo!” Chelsea waved her hand in front of my face to get my attention.

I smiled sheepishly, “sorry, I zoned out there.”

“Well duh, we asked you to join the conversation like, ten minutes ago.”

I laughed, “What are you talking about?”

“You want to head down to the beach after this?” Nick asked.

“You’re letting me out?”

He laughed, “As long as I’m invited and I can drive then yes, I’m letting you out. It’s such a nice night out, we can bring the dessert with us.” He smiled at Chelsea and at that moment, I knew what he was doing, and I wanted to kiss him and hug him and tell him how awesome he was.

He was doing this for Chelsea. I didn’t think he’d really listened when I told him about Chelsea’s home life simply because my outburst was so sudden that it would’ve been hard to take in. But he had listened, and now he was doing something about it.

“That sounds awesome Dad, thanks,” I hoped he caught my double meaning. His wink told me he did.

“Can I borrow a sweatshirt Ally?” Chelsea asked as Nick took our plates to the sink.

“Yeah, let’s go up and get some,” I grabbed her hand and looked at Nick, “we’ll meet you at the truck.” He smiled and nodded at us.

“Seriously Ally, your Dad is the greatest Dad ever. I hate you.” Chelsea squeezed my hand.

“He loves you too you know. You’re like his second daughter,” I laughed. And that was true. We’ve been inseparable since we were six.

I handed her my favorite sweatshirt, it used to be Nick’s and she grinned, “I was so excited when Nick called and asked if I wanted to join you two for dinner. I called out sick to work for this.” I laughed, “seriously, for selfish reasons obviously, but I also really needed to tell you something.”

“And what’s that, you finally got Eric’s attention?” Eric was the basketball center. She was constantly switching between football and basketball players.

“No,” her face softened, “I set everyone straight today for you. No one thinks that you slept with Brandon anymore. I told them that he was just licking his wounds because you turned him down.”

Chelsea and I may have been complete opposites in almost every aspect of our lives, but the one thing we had in common was fierce loyalty. That’s why I loved her. “Really?”

She hugged me tight, “yeah, no one fucks with my best friend and gets away with it.”

“I love you Chels,” I squeezed her again.

“Aww, isn’t that cute,” Nick teased. Then he wrapped his arms around both of us, “Let me join in.” I felt Chelsea’s face blush as Nick placed a kiss on each of our heads. “Now, let’s blow this popsicle stand.”

I had placed the chocolate cake in my lap and had swiped my finger across the frosting. “Hey! No cheating just yet,” Chelsea laughed, swatting my hand away.

“Yeah, no fair,” Nick grinned from the driver’s seat. “So Chels, anything new in your life? Are there any guys I have to kick their ass for breaking your heart?”

I smiled at the both of them; Chelsea looked like she was ready to cry. “No, nothing new. And I’m staying away from boys for a while.” My eyes widened, Chelsea never stayed away from boys. “It’s time to focus on something else right now.” She squeezed my hand and whispered, “taking inspiration from my best friend.”

“Ah good, high school boys are dumb,” said Nick and we both laughed. “You’ll both be in college soon, enjoy this last year happy instead of sad.”

I loved my Dad. And my best friend.