- Text Size +
Chapter 30

Once Chelsea had heard that Nick might make me be in the photo shoot, it was all she could talk about. She talked about how great it would be to be in Rolling Stone and have everyone looking at you. But that’s the part I worried about the most. I didn’t want everyone looking at me. I liked being invisible even though Nick and my aunts and uncle had been scrutinized for most of their lives. It wasn’t anything I wanted to be a part of.

Chelsea said she couldn’t understand; that I was gorgeous and should be proud of who I was and the way I looked. But no one had paid attention to me my whole life because Nick was my father. No one wanted to get to know me because they just assumed that I thought that I was better than everyone else. But the way they treated me made me think that I wasn’t good enough, and that’s why I hated the attention.

If I put myself in the spotlight, I’d just be proving them right.

“I so want to call out of work and be there,” Chelsea whined.

I laughed, “So why don’t you?” I wanted Chelsea there, she knew exactly what to do to keep me from getting too self-conscious or nervous.

“Ugh,” she rolled her eyes, “if I call out one more time, I’m fired, and I don’t want to lose this job just yet.”

“Why? You hate it.”

“I know, but it keeps me from thinking about everything else, and that’s okay with me.”

I frowned, “you know you can talk to me whenever you want to. I’ll try and help you.”

She smiled, “I know. I’m just not ready to talk about it yet.” Just then, Eric walked by and pinched her shoulder. “Hey, we still on for tomorrow night?”

“Oh yeah,” he winked at her, “I’ll be there with bells on.”

When she turned back to me she said, “He finally asked me out on a date. I think it was the playing hard to get thing that made him start chasing me.”

“What happened to staying away from boys for a while?”

She shrugged, “Eric is persistent, and I don’t want to say no.” She grinned suddenly, “but you need to let them do your hair and makeup, and wear a dress.” She changed the subject but my frown was persistent.

I didn’t want her going back to the old Chelsea. I mean, I still loved the old Chelsea, but I knew she was fake. I knew that she stood for something that she didn’t want to. I knew deep down that she didn’t want to run away from her problems, I knew she wanted to face them head on. She’d be stronger if she did that; she and I both knew that.




There were at least four cars in the parking lot when I got home from school. As I weaved my way through the cars, I got more and more nervous. I had no idea what to expect when it came to these things. Nick had never let me accompany him on anything besides tour, and that was because I had to. Photo shoots, interviews, junkets, conferences were completely off limits to me. He had basically kept me in the closet for my entire life so to speak when it came to his career.

So when I walked into the house and saw racks of clothing and makeup strewn all over the place, I got a little intimidated. I grinned when Aaron walked into the room, on his cellphone with a stylist following his every move. “Hi,” I whispered. It was stupid, but I didn’t want to disrupt the atmosphere.

“Hey Johnny, let me call you back,” and he hung up his phone. He ignored the person behind him and wrapped his arm around. Long time no see Ally. How are you?”

I blushed, “I’m a little nervous.”

“Ah,” he chuckled, “don’t be. You’re gonna do great. You’re smart, you’re gorgeous and you got your Dad and your favorite Uncle there with you.”

I frowned, “you’re making it seem like the interview is going to be all about me. They’re here for you!”

He grinned, “Remember that song you sat in on that night?” I nodded. That night was a lot of fun. I had been depressed about the Jen fiasco and had spent the night with Nick and Aaron in the studio while they wrote a song. I had just sat on the couch the entire night, watching Aaron sitting at the piano and Nick sitting behind the drums as they played with melody and lyrics. When they finally got what they wanted, they had asked me to sit at the sound board and press buttons so they could record it. They had walked out of the booth so proud of themselves. And they should’ve been. The song was great, and I knew instantly it’d probably be a hit. The lyrics were honest and the piano and drum accompaniment brought the song full circle. They went to go listen to it…

…and realized that I pressed the wrong button so nothing was recorded. I took it as a sign that I wasn’t meant to be in the same world as them but they both laughed and walked back into the booth to start all over.

“Well, that song is my first single,” He chuckled. “So we’re going to be talking about it. And by that, I mean I am going to tell the world how you tried to sabotage this song by not pressing record,” he winked at me.

“Whatever,” I rolled my eyes.

“Why don’t you go sit in the chair so you can get your hair and makeup done,” he pointed to the chair and a woman waiting expectantly.

I frowned, “I’m getting my picture taken?”

“Yeah, you’re in the photos with us,” said Nick as he walked into the room looking down at his Blackberry.

“But I don’t want to be,” I frowned.

He came over and leaned against the wall as the woman started applying makeup to my skin. I tried not to make a face as she did it; I hated wearing makeup. “How was school today?”

I shrugged; it was all downhill after the chat with Chelsea. I was so scared she was going to get herself in trouble. “Fine I guess.”

“Chels just sent me a text, she’s at work for the afternoon.” I just nodded; I didn’t want to blurt out that I was afraid that she was going to revert back to the Chelsea that hid behind a mask of rebellion. Nick didn’t take to rebellion well. “Don’t put too much makeup on her,” Nick told the woman. I blushed.

I followed Nick and Aaron out of the house and to the guesthouse that Nick had turned into his studio. They shut the door behind us and I blushed when everyone in the room turned to look at me. Who I assumed was the journalist because he was holding a tape recorder blurted, “This is your daughter?” Then he grinned right at me. He had to have been around Aaron’s age.

I blushed and I swear Nick and Aaron frowned at the exact same time. Nick put his hand on my shoulder and said, “Yes, this is Ally. My 17-year-old daughter…” If it could’ve, I think my face would’ve gotten redder. If Chelsea had been here, she’d be eating this up. She never could understand how I didn’t take advantage of things like this.

“Why don’t we start with some photos first,” the journalist said, “Pat, get them up against the wall first.” Nick and Aaron leaned up against the wall and then they all looked at me expectantly. “You too sweetie.”

“Her name’s Ally,” Aaron frowned. I walked up to them but had no idea what to do.

“Hey guys, I’m Pat, I’m the photographer. Ally, if you can stand in between Nick and Aaron and then Nick, why don’t you put your arm around her.” As the photographer started taking pictures, I felt myself getting antsy. Nick and Aaron both moved every so often to change poses but I felt like I was just standing there, not knowing what to do. “Hey Ally, just pretend there’s not a camera here okay?” I blushed; he noticed it too. “How would you normally act around these two?”

“Yeah, let’s not pose anymore,” said Aaron. “Let’s just lean against the wall and talk.” He flicked my ear and asked, “so I hear you can translate my album into French? Maybe I should do it, I love me some French ladies.” Nick chuckled and I scrunched my nose.

“You know, if you Alex and Nick keep talking about how you all used to be with “the ladies,” I’m going to be officially scarred for life.” Even the photographer laughed this time.

The journalist walked back in the room and motioned for everyone to sit on the couch, “okay so let’s get started…Ally why don’t you tell me a little about yourself.”

Nick wrapped his arm around my shoulders and I rolled my eyes. “I shrugged, there’s nothing really to say…I’m just a typical high school student.”

“Yeah, she’s a good kid,” Nick said, “…and still underage…”

I elbowed him in the ribs. This was going to be a long afternoon.

____________
Authors Note: I think updates might be few and far between for a few weeks, things have gotten super busy at work and I'm not sure how much time I can dedicate to Ally and Nick. But if you bear with me, this story is going to go so far! :)