- Text Size +

Chapter 31

Aaron was in town for the weekend, which meant that Nick was probably going to be spending all his free time with him. Chelsea had her date with Eric so that meant that I was going to be spending another Friday night alone. Chelsea had asked for help getting herself ready for Eric but I didn’t feel like sitting on the bed while she got dolled up to probably just fling her clothes off in the back of his car by the end of the night.

After she left and Nick and Aaron were nowhere to be found, I sat there feeling sorry for myself. I didn’t have any other friends to call up and I came to the conclusion that I was pathetic. It was a Friday night and I had absolutely no one to spend it with. I decided to get my popcorn and plop myself down on the couch for a night of channel surfing.

But I must’ve fell asleep because I woke up to Nick and Aaron tossing popcorn kernels at me. “Ah, she wakens!”

“Go away,” I whined, burying my face into couch cushion. They didn’t stop tossing the kernels at me. “Stop!”

“Why are you napping? It’s not even 8 on a Friday night, why aren’t you out living it up?”

I groaned, even my uncle sensed I was a loser. “Because I have no friends,” I spat into the cushion.

“Get up,” he said. When I didn’t move, he grabbed the back of my sweatshirt and lifted me off the couch. “We’re taking you out.”

“That’s okay,” I said. I started to lie back down on the couch but he wouldn’t let me.

“We’re not letting you say no. Pizza first,” He pulled me to the door, “and then whatever else we feel like after.”

“Don’t you two want to spend some quality brotherly time? Without me?”

“Nope,” Nick winked at me, “you’re not getting out of a night with us so stop trying.”

“Well then wait,” I frowned, “let me go change real quick,” I chuckled down at my pajamas. They let me change and I grabbed my notebook and shoved it at Aaron when Nick got into the driver’s side.

“What’s this?”

“I translated your single into French.”

“For real?”

“Yeah,” I was bored one night. I cringed when he started to try and say the words. “No, you’re saying it wrong,” I chuckled, “it’s une lumière dans la nuit,” I sang the melody softly, “qui ont inspiré un changement. See, make it float off your tongue. That’s why the language is so pretty, it flows.”

We were stopped at a red light and they were both staring back at me. “I didn’t know you could sing…”

I blushed, “I can’t.”

“From what I heard, you can.”

“No,” I argued, “singing is your thing, not mine. I can’t even press a freaking button to record a song.”

“You know, come to think of it, you never let me hear you sing.”

Aaron chuckled, “Let’s go to a karaoke bar, and get her onstage.”

Nick’s eyes lit up but I snapped, “no fucking way.”

“Hey, watch the language kiddo,” Aaron said.

“Okay Dad,” I retorted.

“I will never be like your Dad,” Aaron scoffed, “I’m way too cool for that.” I laughed when Nick smacked him.

The pizza parlor we went to was one Nick had been taking me to ever since I was a little girl. The place was called Alessandra’s. Nick used to tease that it was named after me because I was a pizza fiend growing up. The woman who owned the pizzeria used to tell me it was true, that Nick and I were her best customers and everyone once in a while, she’d give us a free pizza because we’d be in there at least once a week. Alessandra moved to Tampa from Italy after her husband Tino had passed away. I never asked why she moved to Florida of all places but her little pizzeria was her life and legacy. Nick’s face and autograph was plastered all over the walls and sometimes fan flocked to the place to look at the pictures and see if we’d be there. When Nick released his second solo album, Alessandra surprised Nick with a new pizza she had added to her menu, called Carter’s Pie; a white pizza with feta and parmesan cheese topped with olives, prosciutto and basil. Nick had been so flattered that he ordered fifteen pizzas and that’s all we ate for three weeks.

It’s been a while since we’ve been here and Alessandra was much older now, her gray hair neatly fitted underneath her chef’s hat but she was still as feisty as ever. “Nick!” She stepped out from behind the counter and wrapped her arms around him. He returned the hug and kissed her cheek.

“My favorite woman,” he chuckled, “how are you tonight?”

“Ah, you only love me because I give you food,” she chuckled. Her eyes widened when she saw me, “is this Ally? Oh my…”

“Yeah, she’s kind of pretty huh?” Nick winked at me.

“Kind of? Darling you’re going to have a load of trouble on your doorstep if you don’t keep your eye on her,” Alessandra teased, “her looks have heartbreaker all over them.”

I blushed and looked around the parlor and froze when I saw Brandon and a few of his friends sitting in the back. I caught his eye but quickly turned away from him. “I’m an angel,” I teased.

Aaron laughed and wrapped his arm around my shoulder. “She only likes to think that,” he winked down at me.

If only he knew…

“What are you three in for tonight? Your usual?” Our usually consisted of Nick’s pizza and a pitcher of Coke but knowing how Aaron ate, we’d have to order a lot more.

Nick laughed, “Yeah, with some fries and mozzarella sticks too.”

I couldn’t help it; my eyes kept glancing to Brandon and his friends. I had forgotten what a jerk he had been; of all the places to see him, it had to be here, with my Dad and Uncle. “I’ll just have a salad and some water.”

Alessandra shook her head, “no, no, you’re too skinny, you need some meat on your bones. You’ll have what they’re having,” and she walked away without another word.

When we sat down in a booth Aaron looked over at me, “so who’s the guy you keep playing hide and seek with?”

I sunk lower in my chair, “no one…”

“Bullshit,” he laughed, “he can’t keep his eyes off you.”

Nick frowned, “who is it?”

“No one, leave it alone,” I snapped at them and poured myself some Coke when Alessandra dropped the pitcher down.

“I’d save that if I were you, you know you can’t handle more than one glass,” Nick warned but I didn’t listen. I sucked half the drink down in one gulp.

“It’s Brandon,” I said quietly.

A look of recognition spread across Nick’s face and his face tightened, “oh really? Think he’ll mind if I go introduce myself?”

“You wouldn’t dare,” I glared at him.

“And who is he? An ex-boyfriend?” Aaron asked but I just shrugged. I didn’t want to bring up the past. Those few days when I completely rebelled and felt horrible doing so, where I almost slept with Brandon and drank entirely too much alcohol.

“Yeah, he was a jerk,” I said and smiled at Alessandra as she brought out our food.

“Well,” Nick gave me a pointed look, “I think you gave him a reason to be one.”

I glared at Nick. “He spread a rumor around my school that I slept with him that night and I didn’t,” I snapped back at him and then I shrugged, “but I guess you didn’t believe me either, right?”

His eyes narrowed at me and his voice was low when he said, “you want to start this again?”

I slumped in my seat, embarrassed, “no, sorry.”

Aaron ruffled my hair, “oh to be a teenager again.” Then he dug into his pizza with gusto. “Forget about him if he was an asshole Ally,” he said with his mouth full, “you’re better than that.”

“Much,” Nick agreed.

“Just wait ‘til this Rolling Stone article comes out,” Aaron laughed, “you’ll have the boys all over you and the girls all jealous of you.”

I rolled my eyes; there was no way that was ever going to happen. I just knew that everyone was going to think the worst of me, that I was shoving who I was in their faces to prove that I was better than them. “Never going to happen,” I frowned, “but I’m fine with that. I’m almost out of there.”

Nick grinned and waved Alessandra over, “Those guys in the corner,” he motioned towards Brandon and his friends, “give them another round of drinks on me.” What was he doing? “Tell them it’s from Nick Carter, Ally’s father, and he knows what Brandon did.” My eyes widened and before I could protest, Alessandra grinned and walked away.

“Dad,” I squeaked out. “What the fuck did you just do?”

“Watch the language,” he said, “and I just wanted to send Brandon a little message.”

Aaron laughed, “Yeah, you don’t mess with a Carter.”

“I can’t believe you just did that,” I sucked down the rest of my Coke and poured myself another glass. This night had just gone from bad to worse. Out of the corner of my eye, I watched as Alessandra brought them their drinks, and then they all turned and looked over at our table. I wanted to kill my father and uncle when they both waved. “I hate you both.”

“You’ll thank us later baby,” Nick said. “Now eat, there’s a lot of food here.”

I wanted to text Chelsea so bad right now, but she probably had her feet propped up against a car ceiling right about now. I didn’t look at Brandon and his friends as they walked by our table on their way out. “Thanks for the drinks guys,” I heard Brandon say.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Aaron smirk, “any time kids.”

“You’re both so embarrassing sometimes,” I mumbled into my cup.

Aaron laughed, “Yeah but I bet they won’ t mess with you again.”

But I was passed the point of caring when it came to Brandon. I got my revenge on him and even though it didn’t make me feel better, it left the ball in my court when it came to him. His rumor didn’t work because of Chelsea so if I left it alone, he’d leave me alone.

“Are you enjoying the food?” Alessandra asked.

“You’ve outdone yourself again Alessandra,” Nick oozed charm when it came to getting what he wanted. It had never worked on me so I didn’t get why women fell all over him. But he apparently still had it because the older woman was eating out of the palm of his hand. “Send us the bill and we’ll promise not to bother anymore of your customers.”

She chuckled and shook her head, “no, no bill for you tonight. Your food is on the house because you made my night. It’s not every day I can see a look like those boys gave me. They were truly scared. It reminded me of my beloved Tino when we were in Italy scaring off my daughter’s suitors.”

Nick chuckled, “It’s tough raising daughters huh?” He wrapped his arm around me shoulder, “They’re always causing trouble because they don’t know how beautiful they are.” I rolled my eyes. He was so cheesy sometimes.

“Sure is Nickolas, promise me you won’t be strangers around here okay? I’ve missed your faces.”

“I promise Alessandra, we’ve missed you too.”

Aaron laughed when we got back to the truck, “now about that karaoke bar...”

“Haven’t you two embarrassed me enough for one freaking night?” I whined and slouched down into my seat.

“What’s your problem tonight?” Nick frowned. I shrugged; I didn’t want to answer him. As much as I loved him, I was spending Friday night with my father who just intimidated my ex-boyfriend for no reason at all.

“Yeah Ally, you’re not your usual self, everything okay?”

“Fine.”

“Liar.”

“I’m not lying,” I argued, “I’m fine.”

“I get it, you just want to brood,” Nick pulled out of the parking lot and headed toward the pier. “You can brood but you can’t rain on our parade girly.”

Every October the pier in downtown Tampa held a carnival. I wasn’t sure why they held it in October but Nick had been taking me ever since I could walk. I’d stare at the bright lights in wonder and attach myself to Nick’s leg and scream as we went to leave at the end of the night. One of my earliest memories is Alex holding my hand as he took me through the house of mirrors. I remember being freaked out because there were so many of me, my reflection was everywhere in every shape and size. He had to carry me out in tears but Nick made it all better with a bag of kettle corn. By the end of the night I had eaten the entire bag and never wanted to leave. He was right, just because I was moping didn't mean I should bring them down.

I smiled when Nick asked, “want some kettle corn?”

“You already know the answer to that,” I laughed.

“You know those girls?” Aaron asked. I turned and looked at a group of girls from my school, staring at us all. I quickly turned back around.

“Yes,” I frowned.

“You want to skip out and hang with kids your own age tonight?” Nick asked, “it’s cool if you do.”

“No,” I frowned again, “they’re not my friends.” I didn’t have any friends besides Chelsea, I didn’t know how many times I needed to remind Nick of that sad fact.

“You gotta have some friends Ally,” Aaron frowned and I got angry.

“I have Chelsea,” I snapped, “and that’s it. I don’t know how many times I need to repeat that.” I turned and walked away; I didn’t want to embarrass myself even more.

Aaron caught up to me quickly though and wrapped his arm around my shoulders, “I didn’t mean to make you mad,” he frowned, “sorry.”

I suddenly felt defeated; my emotions were one giant rollercoaster tonight. “It’s just embarrassing. I don’t know why everyone at school hates me.”

“I doubt they hate you Ally. They’re just intimidated.”

“No,” I argued, “they hate me. And I hate that I have no idea what I did to them.”

Nick joined us with my bag of kettle corn and frowned down at me, “okay, seriously Ally, what’s with you tonight?”

“I don’t feel good.” I moved when he pressed his hand against my forehead to check my temperature, “no I mean, about myself.” And because I didn’t want to talk about it, I said, “it’s stupid.”

“What’s wrong?”

“It’s nothing,” I frowned. It was Aaron’s last night with us before he left for more promotion and I had no idea how long it would be until I would see him again. “Kettle corn will make me feel better, and a night at the fair with my Dad and my uncle.”

It probably wouldn’t make me feel better, but at least it was a distraction.