- Text Size +
Chapter 4

Paris was amazing. He let me drag him all over the city. We started at the Louvre and made our way over to the Luxembourg Gardens. We strolled through the street markets and listened to street performers. We went to Notre Dame and ended at the Eiffel Tower.

It was perfect in a word.

I didn’t even care that we were descending into Cannes. Nick did however. We both hated flying, especially the landing part. He squeezed my hand and grinned at me. “We’re something else huh?”

“I blame it all on you,” I grinned and he just squeezed my hand again as the plane skidded on the runway.

“Woo, it’s over.”

“Baby,” I teased him.

“Hush,” he winked at me as the plane taxied to our gate.

“We’ve got company,” said Mike as we walked towards the exit. Nick stopped and grabbed the back of my shirt. The exits were lined with paparazzi.

“Is that for you?” I asked, looking up at him. I’d never had to deal with paparazzi before, at least not this many.

He didn’t answer, just shrugged and I frowned, looking at them again. The flashes were already starting. He took the baseball cap that was on his head off, and put it on me. “Here’s what you need to do,” he said, fixing the cap for me. “Keep your eyes on the ground, and don’t talk to any of them, okay?” I nodded. “Make a beeline for the van and stay with me.” He looked over at Mike, “me or you in front? Ally stays between us.” I bit my lip as I looked out the windows again. Now that Nick didn’t have his cap on people were starting to stare. I didn’t need the cap as much as he did. No one cared what I looked like. I took it off but froze when he snapped at me, “Keep it on.”

“Both of you keep your heads down,” said Mike as we walked out the doors. Nick was in front and I was sandwiched between the two of them. As soon as the doors opened, it became so loud and the flashes were blinding. I took a deep breath.

Nick opened the van door and someone grabbed my shirtsleeve, tugging at me. The next thing I knew flashbulbs were right in my eyes as he started asking who I was in French. His hand was digging into my arm. “Ow! Dad!”

“Hey!” Mike yelled.

“Don’t you touch her,” Nick snapped, grabbing me and pulling me into the van with him. “Are you okay?” I nodded, rubbing my arm. The doors to the van closed and we were driving away.

“I think I’m blind,” I mumbled, seeing bright spots from the camera that was in my face. Nick picked up my arm and examined where the man had grabbed me. “It’s fine.”

“I’m sorry,” he said. “Next time we’ll do it differently. They caught me off guard.”

“It’s okay,” I said.

He grinned suddenly, “You called me Dad.”

“Nicky,” said Alex as we walked into the green room. He winked at me and I grinned. Nick hated the nickname.

“What,” he rolled his eyes as he kept his attention on his Blackberry.

“Can I steal your daughter after the show?” He winked again. “That is of course if she doesn’t have a curfew.”

Nick looked over at me, “you want to spend the evening with the bastard? I don’t blame you if you don’t.”

I laughed, “I want to.”

“She’s all yours,” he said to Alex. I grinned at him. “You know the rules.”

“Yep, no matter how much she begs, we won’t go to the strip club that’s right around the corner from our hotel.” I buried my head in my hands as I heard Nick growl at him.

“You do and you’re a dead man.”

“Chill dude, she’s safe with me, you know that,” he patted my head and I blushed even more.

“Don’t make me question it,” he glared at him.

“Ally, how do you live with such a tight ass? No wonder you don’t have any boyfriends,” Alex said as he walked out of the room.

“Alex,” Nick glared at him as Alex grinned and laughed.

“He’s just joking,” I said, my cheeks still flushed.

“Better be,” I heard him mumble and I had to laugh. I heard he used to have a sense of humor before I was born. “What are you laughing at?”

“You,” I giggled.

He raised his eyebrows, “oh yeah? You think I’m funny?” Next thing I knew he was tickling me. I was so damn ticklish, I hated it. I burst into laughter again as I tried squirming away from him. “Say uncle,” He laughed, not relenting.

“Please,” I laughed. “Please,” the more I squirmed the more he tickled. “Uncle! Uncle!”

“You rang baby?” Alex grinned as he stuck his head into the room again.

“Make him stop,” I squealed as he wouldn’t stop. “Stop!” Nick grinned victoriously and sat on the couch. I pounced on him, grabbing him in a headlock.

“Hey!” He called as Alex burst into laughter.

“She’s not so tiny anymore dude, she can keep up with you.”

“Say you’re sorry,” I said as I tightened my hold.

“Never,” he laughed as he grabbed me and somehow threw me over his shoulder as he stood up.

“No fair,” I said as I dropped my hands as he carried me out of the room. “Where are you taking me?”

“I’m going to tie you to the rafters.”

“No you’re not,” I squirmed and he dropped me and started chasing me. I ran behind Alex and used him as my shield while he laughed. “You’ll have to get through him first!”

“Oh please Ally, you’ll have to try a little harder than that,” he easily shoved Alex out of the way and grabbed me again.

“Dude, that hurt,” Alex said, rubbing his arm. “Kick his ass Ally.” I rolled my eyes; I couldn’t even if I tried.

“Hey kids,” said Mike interrupting just as Nick grabbed me again. “Sorry to interrupt but the fans are waiting for the sound check.”

Nick narrowed his eyes at me and grinned, “I demand a rematch kid.”

“Not a kid Carter,” I glared back. He chuckled and kissed the top of my head before walking out onstage.



“Ready honey?” Alex asked as I stepped into the hall.

“Yep,” I grinned. “Where are we going?”

“Saks is letting us shop after hours,” he grinned widely. His addiction to shopping was one of my favorite things about him.

“You two loose in Saks? That can’t be good,” laughed Nick as he took out his wallet. He went to hand me a couple of bills but Alex pushed his hand away.

“Uh, uh, it’s all on me tonight.”

I frowned, “no way,” I turned to Nick “I don’t need anything anyways.”

“You never need anything Ally, but you always want something. I missed your birthday; I’m going to make it up to you.”

“You spoil her way too much,” said Nick and I chuckled when Alex stuck his tongue at him.

“Coming from the one who spoils her the most,” he said. Nick grinned.

“I’m not spoiled,” I argued. I wasn’t really. Sure, I had a lot of stuff but if I wanted something specifically, Nick made me work for it.

“Just take some money,” said Nick, “just in case.” I went to grab it again but Alex just shook his head. “Fine, fine,” he held his hands up in defeat. “Call me if you need anything.”

He looked over at Nick said, “No interrupting us, I need my Ally time. You have the suite to yourself, why don’t you go find a woman or something.” My face turned beet red.

“Shut up,” Nick blushed. He could barely look at me as he said, “have fun.”

“You didn’t have to say that,” I glared at him as we entered the elevator.

Alex laughed, “I like pushing his buttons.”

“You’re so embarrassing sometimes.”

“But you love me,” he laughed.

“If you loved me you’d move back to Florida,” I teased him. After my mother had left Nick and me, Alex had come to live with us to help Nick. He then got a place nearby but I remember him constantly being around. When he married Nina they had moved out to Los Angeles and ever since I’ve been trying to get him to move back home.

He grew serious, “I think I am.”

“That’s great!”

He looked at me, “Nina and I are getting a divorce.”

“…what?” I hugged him.

“We haven’t been happy,” he shrugged. “No one else knows okay Ally?” I nodded; I was great at keeping secrets from everyone but Nick. “Now, I want to go shopping with my favorite goddaughter and spend the night catching up because I missed her,” He grinned as he led me into Saks.

I think I could handle that.