- Text Size +
Chapter 40


“What time does the movie start?”

I locked the door behind me and looked over at Chelsea. She had actually gone to school with me today. She wouldn’t be there tomorrow but it was cool sitting with her and Tyler at lunch today. They got along really well and it made me happy to see my best friend and my boyfriend becoming friends. “7:30,” she said, starting towards the stairs. “I need to get started on this massive amount of homework,” she frowned, “I can’t believe that being in court isn’t a good enough excuse to get out of all this. I mean, they let you off the hook when Nick pulls you out to tour,” she frowned. She did have a point.

“If you need help with any of it let me know,” I offered, it was the least I could do.

“Nah,” she sighed dramatically, “Just buy me some popcorn tonight at the movie. And maybe bring a few napkins so when I start to drool over the hottie, you’ll have my back.”

I laughed, “Okay.” She walked up the stairs and I walked to the kitchen. I grabbed an apple and some peanut butter and a bottle of water. I grinned when my phone vibrated and Nick had sent me a text. ‘If you’re home, get on Skype girly.’

I practically ran to his office and turned on the computer. While it loaded I sliced my apple and smeared it with peanut butter. I saw Nick’s face just as I stuck a large slice into my mouth. He laughed, “That looks delicious.”

I shrugged, trying to chew as fast as I could, “Just apples and peanut butter, they don’t feed you out there?”

He wrinkled his nose, “I’ve been holed up in the studio, it’s water and crackers for me mostly.”

“Are you on a break now?”

He nodded, “Yeah. That’s why I wanted to see if we could talk. I think I’m going to have to pull an all-nighter to make this production deadline.”

“Are you guys trying to rush it?”

He shrugged, “No. I just want to go home. I realize that the whole one week thing was as much for me as it was for you.”

I grinned. I wanted him home too.

“Is the house still in one piece Ally?” He tried to look authoritative but I just chuckled at his expression.

“Define one piece?”

He glared at me, “Don’t be trying to give me a heart attack like you did Alex with your little joke.”

I blushed, “He told you about that did he?”

“Yes,” his tone was still sharp. “You don’t want to know what I would’ve done if it had been me.”

I chuckled despite my embarrassment, “Okay, so no sex jokes with Dad. Got it.”

He rolled his eyes, “No sex jokes period!”

Since we were on the topic, I wanted to tell him about Saturday, just in case he found out through someone else. “Okay, so I have something to tell you and you can’t freak out about it okay?”

“Okay…” Nick looked weary.

“I had Tyler over here on Saturday night.”

“Was Chelsea there?”

“No.”

“So it was just you two?”

“Yes.” I bit my lip, “BJ stopped by during the day and dropped off some food, so she knew he was coming over.” He didn’t say anything, “Are you mad?”

“I want to be, but no,” he sighed, “you’re an adult now, you’re capable of making reasonable decisions. I don’t have to like it but that’s the way it is.”

“Well if it makes you feel any better, he listened to your interview on Friday and said the song was awesome,” I grinned.

Nick looked surprised, “Really? Are you sure he just didn’t want to impress you?”

I flicked the computer screen, “No. He told me that he wanted me to not forget him when I became a superstar.”

Nick laughed, “Speaking of a superstar, our song has gotten a lot of positive feedback already.”

“I know,” I giggled, “Your fans can’t stop tweeting at me at how much they love it and can’t wait to buy it.”

Nick laughed, “I know, I told them they have good taste.”

“Other than you wanting to rush it, how is producing going?”

He nodded, “Good. We got a lot of good people singing on this record. You know, if you want to record a song completely by yourself, I just might be able to secure you a notch on this thing,” he winked.

I blushed, “No thank you.”

He smiled softly, “Not gonna follow in Dad’s footsteps then?”

I shrugged, “I want to,” I said and I watched his expression change, “I just don’t know if I can.”

“You can do anything you want to Ally, you know that.”

“I know,” I sighed, “I just…I’m not good enough.”

“Never say that,” he frowned, “You can be good enough if you just try hard enough.”

“I want music lessons,” I said softly.

“Okay,” he said instantly. “What kind?” But I shrugged, “Guitar? Piano? Voice?”

“I don’t know,” I frowned. “I’m still not sure I can make this a career. I still love French.”

“I’ll be home in nine days, we’ll sit down and talk about it then okay?” He asked, “If you decide you want to go to college instead, we need to start on those applications.”

I smirked, “We?”

He chuckled, “I want to help you, and you can’t stop me.” He looked pensive, “So, I can tell, you really like this Tyler kid huh…”

I blushed, “Yeah…”

“Maybe when I get back we can all go out to dinner…”

I think my eyes were about to pop out of my head. “Seriously?”

Nick laughed loudly, “Hey! I can be nice!”

I was still speechless, “I – you – huh?”

He snickered, “Oh come on Ally, I’m not that bad.” Then he grew serious, “I know you like him. And he seems like a good kid.” He shrugged, “I have to accept that he might be sticking around for a while.”

“You know he’s never going to push you aside or anything, you’ll always be the first and last person I go to for everything.”

He placed his hand over his heart endearingly, “That makes me feel slightly better. Thanks baby.” I smiled at him. It was true; no one could ever replace him.

“Chelsea and I are going to the movies tonight.”

“Really? Seeing anything good?”

I chuckled, “Not really. I wanted to go see that aliens movie, but she wants to see that new dance movie,” I frowned. “I said fine.”

“Good, you and I can go see that aliens movie when I get home, okay?”

I beamed at him, “okay.” I heard a door open and close, and I asked, "is break time over already?"

He nodded with a mouth full of crackers, "'uff voo."

I laughed and waved, "Love you too Dad. Bye."





“That man, that we just saw,” Chelsea pointed back at the movie theatre, “He’s my future husband, I swear it.”

I laughed, “Yeah okay.”

“I’m serious! No one should be allowed to be that gorgeous. I was getting all hot and bothered just watching him stand there while he let the girl shine in the spotlight. If I looked like that, I’d be pushing everyone out of the way.”

I shook my head, “You’re such a sap,” I teased, “You’ll take anything that resembles a fairytale.”

She snorted, “So wouldn’t the rest of the female world. Except for you, because you live in a fairytale world.”

It was my turn to snort, “Oh yeah, perfect. Please…”

“Seriously Ally, you have the perfect Dad, the perfect boyfriend. Your biggest dilemma right now is whether or not you want to go to an Ivy League or enter the music business.” She gave me a pointed look, “You’re life is perfect.”

I frowned. I didn’t want to admit that she was right, but from where I stood now, there was nothing about my life right now that I would change. I was happy for once. I was able to smile without worrying about added stress. I was over Jen and the little fiasco she caused. Alex and Nina were back on track and from what he told me, stronger than ever. I didn’t care that people ignored me in school. I had my best friend, I had my boyfriend and I had my father. Another thing I also had was music. I really couldn’t complain right now.

“See?” She laughed when I didn’t answer, “I’m totally right.”

I shrugged, “I’m not gonna lie, I like where my life is right now.”

Chelsea squeezed my arm, “In just a few short months, I plan to say the same. This whole fiasco is almost over, and when it is, you and I can go to a college and you can help me find the perfect guy.” We stopped at a red light just as it started to rain. I frowned. I hoped it didn’t bring storms, or else I’d be in Nick’s closet by myself tonight.

"Ugh, I hate the rain," she frowned. Then she smiled slyly at me, "We are not going to let a little rain get in our way tonight." She reached over me and into her glove box and pulled out a cd, “I feel like dancing, that boy got me all hot!”

I laughed as she pulled out the cd from her stereo, threw it in her backseat and then put the new one in. As soon as the music started we started moving our bodies to the music.

The light turned green.

Chelsea stepped on the gas.

Everything went black.