- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
It will be AJ's POV for a while but don't worry, Nick's POV will come soon as well. (:
Sunday, 14 November 2010 – 8.00 am.

- AJ -

I dropped my bag onto the ground as I arrived at the gate at the John F Kennedy International airport in New York. I slumped down in one of the chairs and got out a magazine out of my bag that I bought in one of the shops.

I would have never thought I’d ever go to that tiny ass country without a concert or promotion planned.

Nick told me the day after he announced Howie’s oh so brilliant idea, where exactly in The Netherlands we were going and what we were going to do. Apparently, we are staying over at a guest’s home somewhere in the East. And that guest happens to be a fan.

Whoohoo...

Unfortunately, Nick and I will be staying over at the same guest’s home.

Awesome...

And my job? Deliver brochures and newspapers to the door. Yes, to the door. I have to get on a bike (a BIKE) and deliver them around in this neighborhood.

Unfortunately, it’s not in a cool city like Amsterdam or Rotterdam.

Instead, we’ll be going to this totally unknown city (If you can call it a city. I did some research. It’s too tiny for a city but apparently it’s got a city law). On the other hand it’s a good thing. Less chance of being recognized and being chased by giggling fans. That’s the last thing I needed while delivering all that crap.

I mean, I have to get on a bike. Nick was cracking up when he saw the look on my face after I read my assignment.

But my mood lightened up when Nick read and told his assignment.

He has to go to a fucking school! And guess what he’s going to study for? A secretary! Well, executive secretary is the official word. But can you imagine Nick sitting behind a desk all flipping day? That kid is so incredibly ADHD. That task will be impossible for him. Come to think he has to do all these boring things. Phoning is probably going all wrong, he’ll just call to Brian and chat away with him (and be confronted with a big ass bill for calling from The Netherlands to a foreign country). Then, he’d just chase after every single girl (I’m thinking of stereotype hot secretaries now).

Oh, I forgot to tell that Brian is going to Japan. Why him? Oh right, because he’s Japan’s cuddly bear. He’s going to work at a sushi restaurant.

I’ll say two words: NOT FAIR.

Howie is going to Canada to… Saskatchewan. I forgot the exact name of the town he’s going to, it’s just as weird as the name of the state. Anyway, he’s going to a university to study International Business Administration.

I think I’m pretty happy with my current assignment, though I’d trade with Brian for anything. Nick and Howie can stay studying.

My thoughts were rudely interrupted by Nick flopping down on the seat next to me. He gave me a big smile before attacking a bag of M&M’s. I focused back to the magazine only to feel an M&M hitting my temple.

I put the magazine firmly down on my lap. “Nick, could you please behave and, for once, act like a mature 30 year old man?”

I heard him snickering next to me, then I heard the cracking sound of the bag and Nick continued eating.

I put the magazine away when right after, our flight was announced.

Well, here we go.

-------------------

3.50 pm – Amsterdam Airport, The Netherlands.

I was standing at the baggage claim together with Nick. Nick’s suitcases were one of the first but mine still had to come. The baggage kept coming and coming. But none of them were mine.

I kept looking around me anxiously, waiting for a group of fans to run up to us. But it hadn’t happened till now, and we were standing here for ten minutes or so.

I had pleaded Nick to bring at least Q with us but the whole point of that stupid project was that we came unprotected like normal people. I was born normal. The fans were the ones that were sometimes not normal, to say it lightly. I felt like a zebra thrown in a cage full of lions. Did those project people want us dead?

“Hey J, there’s your junk,” Nick pointed at two black suitcases finally coming out.

“It’s not my junk,” I glared at him while lifting one suitcase off the claim. Nick helped me and took the other.

“I can’t believe we couldn’t at least bring someone to carry our suitcases,” Nick whined. He also disagreed with the whole ‘no bodyguard’- part but didn’t seem to worry about it as much as I did, which is weird ‘cause he’s the most popular one.

“Stop whining. I probably have to carry packages of brochures and what more for an entire month,” I grunted.

We came to the exit, turned left and saw two sliding doors separating. Finally, we had arrived in the welcome hall.

I was still busy changing my grip on the suitcases when Nick said, “that should be our welcoming committee,” and took off.

I turned my head and saw a man in his early 40s and a redhead in her early 20s. She held a banner in front of her with “AJ & NICK” in big neon orange letters.

An image of Brian and Leighanne in neon orange shirts flashed through my mind.

I followed after Nick, carrying my ridiculously heavy suitcases after me.

“Hi! Welcome to Holland!” the girl smiled widely, putting the banner down as she reached out to hug Nick. Nick hugged her back, returning the smile.

“Welcome to you too!” she said, the same big smile, arms already spread. I let go of the handles on my suitcases and returned the hug. “My name’s Isabel by the way,” she said.

I took my sunglasses off. “AJ, but I guess you figured,” I smiled.

“If Nick wasn’t walking up to us, I wouldn’t even have recognized you. You guys are so heavily disguised,” she said with a disapproving look. “You should finally stop hiding yourself behind those sunglasses, no matter how they serve as accessories.”

Well, she sure as hell wasn’t afraid to be blunt. At least she wasn’t shy or giggling constantly.

The man came up to us and shook our hands. “Welcome, my name’s Erik. With a K.”

“Nick. With C-K," he joked.

I could just refrain from rolling my eyes at him. “AJ," I said as I shook his hand.

I don’t know why but I liked the man right away. He had this laid back thing going on. He had two earrings in his left ear, a light stubble and gray, short spikey hair. He had a small beer belly too.

The girl on the other hand had straight, dark red hair. About 5’8 and big boobs. Hey, I’m a boob man, don’t blame me.

The man took a suitcase of each of us so we only had to carry one of our own. I was walking next to Erik as Isabel was behind us chattering away with Nick.

“So, had a good flight?” Erik asked.

“It was okay. Better than I thought,” I replied.

“Why?”

“Nick can act like a five year old stuck in the body of a 30 year old man. I was afraid he would pull pranks on me or try to annoy me in any other way. He has actually behaved really good.”

Erik grinned. “He can probably get along well with my sons.”

“You got sons?”

“Yeah, two. One’s nine and the other’s ten. They are incredibly energetic, especially the youngest one. At the moment, he’s being tested for ADHD. The oldest one is a bit quieter but has a knowledge of cussing that I try to get him rid of.”

“How come he’s cussing so much?”

“Bad environment back at his mom’s,” he muttered.

I supposed he’s divorced then. I wondered if Isabel was his biological daughter or not. They sure as hell didn’t look like eachother.

And come to think, if he was trying to get his son rid of all the cussing, I had to decrease my cussing as well.

Fuuuuuuuck. There, that felt good. At least I can cuss in thoughts.

After walking for five minutes in the huge parking garage, we stopped at a dark blue van. Erik pulled the back door open and put the suitcases he carried in first. After that he took mine and then Nick’s.

“You guys can sit in the back,” Erik informed us. He opened the door to the driver’s seat while Isabel already sat next to him in the passenger seat. She looked like she was about to explode from excitement.

I hopped in behind Isabel and Nick behind Erik. I opened up my bag, got out a bottle of Cola and took a big gulp.

“How long till we’re there?” Nick asked impatiently while leaning forward.

“One and a half hour,” Isabel enthused.

“Holy crap, one and a half hour to go from one side of the country to the other? Cool!” Nick said with eyes as round as saucers.

I put my hands behind my head and relaxed. Staying in a small country for a month could be fun.