- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Back with a new chapter! Enjoy!
Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Nick wiped at the sweat forming on his forehead as he began yet another shift at what he and AJ lovingly referred to as "taco hell". It was the hottest it had been all week, and the air conditioning was still broken...not to mention that now their ice machine was down as well from overuse. Kevin had brought in a large fan to keep them cool, but it wasn't working very well. In the kitchen itself it was sweltering, especially by the fry table. AJ loosened his collar as he walked up to the fan, laughing.

"Luukeee, I am your faaatherrr....." he said into the back of the fan, causing Nick to erupt into a fit of laughter.

"Can't you two find something productive to do? I have a new trainee starting today and I don't want him to think we get paid to goof off." Kevin snapped as he rounded the corner. Nick picked up the broom and continued to sweep the floor. They hadn't had too many customers that day as it was at least a hundred outside.

"Fresh meat." AJ snickered as he smiled devilishly. He liked to screw with the new employees and play jokes on them, like locking them in the walk in refrigerator and turning the lights off.

"Dude, its probably some stupid kid like we always get during summer. Nobody cool wants to work here." Nick mused. The day was very slow and seemed to drag on forever...Nick hated times like this when they weren't busy....the time went by slow. About halfway through his shift, Nick saw Kevin bringing a new guy into the kitchen. He was younger than Kevin but older than AJ, he had blue eyes and looked slightly annoyed.

"Guys this is Brian....he is just starting today...please make him feel welcome." Kevin said as he led the new employee over. Brian waved and smiled slightly.

"How's it goin?" Nick greeted him, shaking his hand. AJ just gave a nod, staying quiet.

"Nick, you will be training Brian today on food prep." Kevin instructed.

"Hey now wait a minute. Why can't I train the new guy?" AJ asked, turning to face them.

"Because I asked Nick to. I don't feel like explaining to Howie why you locked someone in the fridge and turned the lights off to scare them again." Kevin replied. Nick led Brian into the back of the store by the hand washing sink.

"Just so you know, I have never trained anybody before. This is new to me. Just act like I know what I'm talking about." Nick whispered with a wink. Brian smiled at him as they stood in front of the sink.

"Ok so I'm supposed to teach you how to wash your hands." Nick said, feeling like an idiot. Here they were, grown men discussing how to wash their hands.

"Are you serious?" Brian laughed.

"Uh...yes. You take the paper towel, turn on the faucet. Throw the towel away and start washing your hands. Oh and you have to sing Happy Birthday while you're doing it. Twice." Nick told him, showing him as he was telling.

"You gotta be kidding."

"After you're done you take another paper towel and turn off the faucet, use the hand sanitiizer and you're done." Nick said. He hated learning this when he started, and it felt stupid. Once they finished washing their hands, Brian put on gloves and followed Nick to the line to make food. AJ was already there, he didn't seem pleased.

"This is AJ, he's cool." Nick said as they took their places. After a while, Brian realized that the lettuce was empty.

"Where do we get more?" he asked. Nick walked him back to the refrigerator but took off his gloves.

"But you just put those on...isn't that a waste of gloves?" Brian asked while Nick showed him where everything was in the walk in refrigerator.

"You can't wear gloves when you come in here. They just changed the rules last week....you will get used to it. Everybody is cool here....you just gotta know how to deal with them." Nick instructed. After about two hours, Brian seemed to get the hang of working, he and Nick got along well.

"I'm surprised AJ didn't play a joke on you yet...he always gets the new people on their first day." Nick whispered.

"What?" Brian looked at him in confusion. As he turned around, Nick saw a large round sticker square on Brian's backside. Nick looked horrified as it was a yellow one labeled Chicken. AJ snickered and pointed at Brian's butt. Nick began mouthing to him to remove it, but this led to much confusion. Kevin rounded the corner and saw AJ laughing.

"What the hell is so funny?" Kevin demanded. Brian felt his backside and found the sticker, holding it up.

"ALEX! I told you not to do this anymore....I'm gonna have to write you up." Kevin shouted as he stormed into the office.

"But its just a sticker...it didn't hurt anybody." AJ protested. He looked pleadingly at Nick, who shrugged.

"Kev, its all right. They didn't make me upset." Brian said.

"In fact I thought it was funny. I like this place, I think I'm gonna enjoy working here. Your co workers are fun." he added with a warm smile.

"Wow, thanks for that..." AJ said, shaking Brian's hand at the end of their shift.

"Yeah that was cool of you. Want to chill after work?" Nick asked. He and AJ were planning on going out for drinks like they did every Thursday.

"Sure I would like that. All in a day's work." Brian said as they all piled into AJ's car and drove away.