- Text Size +
Chapter Thirteen

By the time I got up to my hotel room, Kay had already showered, changed, and eaten.

"Sup?" she asked. I sighed. I needed a sounding board and Kay was a good listener...not that she was going to like the subject, of course.

"Trevor and I talked."

She made a face. "Where?"

"The gym."

"Did you clobber him with a dumbbell?" she asked. I knew there were no warm and fuzzy feelings for Trevor. After what he had said to her and about her, I couldn't really blame her. It was one of the things we needed to work on.

Anyone that dated me had to like Kay. After sixteen years as besties, we were kind of a package deal.

"No," I said. "He explained what happened. He didn't even want to break up with me. It was this whole thing with his family."

I launched into the whole story. It poured from me like a leaky faucet. I took a deep breath as I neared the end.

"And then Nate came in and saw Trevor leave," I finished.

Kay's eyes widened. "What did he say?"

"He said the logical thing to do was date both of them until I figure this out."

Kay snorted. "He suggested that?"

"Well, he can date other people too," I explained. "If he wants."

I really hoped he wouldn't want to.

"Oh, he'll want to," Kay said. The mind reader struck again.

I frowned. "What does that mean?" I asked. I knew what it meant, of course, but I still wanted to hear her theory.

"He's going to pick the prettiest girl and try to get under your skin. He's trying to play some psychology on you," Kay said wisely.

I didn't know what to say. I had a feeling she was right even though I hadn't it all the same. I slid my hair out of my ponytail and walked towards the room.

"Well, it won't work," I said. I tried to sound confident. I closed the bathroom door, and shook out my hair in frustration.

"It's nothing a day of shopping won't fix," I whispered to myself as I turned on the water.

Shopping was totally therapeutic.

---------------------------

Shopping was exactly what I needed. Kay, Angel, and I hit all of the shops on Rodeo Drive and North Beverly. By the time we had a late lunch and returned to the hotel, my feet were killing me.

"So, I'm thinking we could watch a movie and veg out tonight," I said as Kay and I walked down the hall to her room.

"That sounds g--"

Kay stopped. We both spotted NoNo at the same time. He was camped out in front of the door to my room.

"NOAH!" I said. I dropped my bags. NoNo stood up and hugged me tightly.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

Noah smiled. "It was a surprise," he said. He glanced over at Kay.

"Hey," he said softly. Kay smiled.

"Hey."

She dropped her bags. In a flash she was hugging Noah and crying.

"I didn't want you to hear it that way," he whispered into her hair. Obviously he had gotten my email.

"It was beautiful," Kay choked.

I so felt like I was intruding. As quietly as possible, I picked up all of our bags. I scooted around the two of them and walked into the room.

They deserved their privacy.

Plus, I still had to get used to seeing them together. Like that.

I tossed the bags on a couple of the couch in the entertainment lounge and made my way into the bedroom. I flopped down on my stomach, flipped over, and pulled out my cellphone.

I figured it was as good of time as any to make my phone call. I dialed Trevor's number. He picked up halfway through the first ring.

"Hey," he said happily. "I didn't expect to hear from you so soon."

"I needed to talk to you."

"What's up?"

I stared up at the ceiling. "Well, when we were talking this morning I was a little lost for words. There were a couple things I didn't mention."

"Like what?"

I bit my lip. I did a couple deep inhales and exhales through my nose. "I've started to see someone else."

"Oh."

"But it's not serious! Yet," I said. I don't know why I added the word 'yet.'

"What are you trying to say?" Trev asked cautiously.

"I'm saying that, I thought maybe, well if you want to, that I could see both of you for awhile," I explained awkwardly.

There was several seconds of silence.

"I'm guessing it's the difference between not seeing you at all and seeing you, right?" he guessed.

I pressed my palm up to my face; I cracked my jaw. It was an even worse habit of mine than constantly licking my lips or the every-now-and-then hand wave.

"Right," I said quietly.

"Well, then I guess it will have to be okay," Trevor said. He coughed. "Who's the other guy?"

I hesitated for a second. I realized there wasn't going to be a good way to keep it a secret. Plus, it wasn't fair. Nate already knew who Trevor was.

"His name is Nate. He's my tech guy and photographer."

"So he's on the tour?" Trevor asked. The level of dislike in his voice suddenly went up several notches.

"Yes," I said a little harsher than I intended.

Trevor let out a sigh. "Okay. So how is this going to work?"

"Work?"

"Do I have to see you on a schedule?"

I hadn't thought that far yet. "I...I don't know. I'll have to get back to you on that," I said. "I'll see you at rehearsal tomorrow," I added. I declined to mention Nate was probably also going to be there.

"Well that's something," Trevor said gently.

I kicked off my shoes. "Kay's also going to be there," I added. I hadn't wanted to come right out and discuss her, but I figured there were other ways to get to the point of the matter. This was my first tactic. I hoped it would work.

"She's out here?" Trevor asked.

"Yup," I said. "That's not a problem is it?"

"No, not at all. It's just...I owe her an apology."

I smiled. My tactfulness had worked.

"Oh?" I said.

"I said something to her I regret," Trevor said honestly. "And I didn't mean what I said about her to you either. I just knew that would make you mad."

"It did," I said seriously. He let out a groan.

"I'm an idiot," he said morosely.

I felt a pang. He sounded like he was internally beating himself up.

"You can make it right tomorrow," I promised him.

We talked for a few more minutes. I could tell he wasn't sold on the whole 'seeing someone else' thing, but he didn't say anything more.

"Alright, well my brother's here so I'm going to go hang out with him and Kay," I said.

"Have a good night," Trevor said earnestly. I smiled.

"You too."

I hung up and rolled off the bed. I had just walked into the lounge area when the door open. NoNo's blonde shaggy head poked its way through the door.

"Hey BooBoo, Kay and I are going to see a movie. Wanna come?"

My initial thought was 'hell, yeah!' My second thought was that they needed a chaperone. My third thought was that I wasn't setting a great example lately to even think of being their chaperone. My last thought was that they deserved an actual date.

"Go on," I said. I waved at the door. "Enjoy yourselves."

Kay nudged Noah aside and poked her head in. "Are you sure?" she asked. She looked totally happy. If I wasn't sure before, I was now.

"Absolutely," I said. "Go."

They turned to go. "Wait!" I called out. Noah and Kay both appeared back in the doorway.

"Where are you staying?" I asked Noah. He smiled.

"I'm bunking with your techie," he said. Kay gave me an amused look.

"Have a good night!" she said.

The door closed after them. I blew a piece of hair out of my face.

Noah was staying with Nate. That could be interesting. Or bad. Or both.

I sank down on the couch. I was all alone for the evening. I was just deciding whether or not to enjoy a movie while vegging in bed when my phone rang.

It was Nate.

"Hello?"

"I just got out of the elevator and just passed a Carter and a Kay going down. Did they leave you all alone?"

I smiled. "Kinda."

"Want company?" he asked hopefully.

My pulse picked up. I glanced around the room.
"Sure," I said. "Come on down."

Nate laughed. I heard a knock on the door. He must have called me from right outside the room.

In my excitement, I hung up on him. Aunt Angel had gone out for the night. The rest of my band was in places unknown. Trevor was probably in the hotel, but I didn't know where. We were going to be alone, but really...

How much trouble could we get into?