- Text Size +
Chapter Sixteen

"You've got Pey's birthday present?" I asked.

Noah nodded. "I've got Landon's too."

"I feel like a horrible sister. I'm going to miss both of their birthdays."

Noah smiled. "Well, I've always been their favorite anyhow."

My eyes widened. "No way."

Noah just laughed. "You'll be home for Halloween, right?"

I smiled. "Absolutely. I'm going to need a break."

"Yeah you will. From all these guys."

I frowned. "There's only two," I said.

"That's one too many," he replied.

I couldn't argue with that. We both lifted our heads as his flight number was called. I hugged him tightly.

"Be safe," I said.

"I will," he promised.

"Was that your flight number they just called?" Angel asked. She jogged up to us.

"Yeah," Noah said. Angel squeezed him tightly.

"I'm a horrible aunt. I hardly got to see you."

"It's okay," he assured. I knew it was okay. Less aunt time meant more Kay time.

My brother was easy to figure out sometimes.

Angel repeated what I had said about a safe flight. An explosion of tears erupted from me as Noah walked away. He turned.

"Bye NoNo," I choked.

"Bye Brookie," he said.

Then he was gone.

---------------------------------

"Did you miss your bus?" Angel asked as we climbed aboard.

I laughed. "Oh yeah. Totally," I said sarcastically.

Truthfully, I was a little grateful to be back on the bus. It was secluded. It wasn't like Nate or Trevor could walk over to it on a whim.

"I'm going to take the top bunk. It looks like your dad was eating Fritos in the lower one," Angel chided. I laughed.

I smiled. It wouldn't have surprised me in the least.

I drifted into my room and dumped my laptop bag in a chair. Angel seemed to sense I wanted to be alone. I heard her scuttling around her bunk. I curled up on my bed and pressed the button to slide my door closed. I listened to the bus roar to life.

I was glad that Kay had been there to talk to when the whole thing with Nate happened. Even so, I felt like I needed to confide in someone else.

I needed my mom. I took my phone out of my pocket and pressed my speed dial for home.

"Hello?"

Mom sounded tired but it was just good to hear her voice. I hadn't talked to her in over a week.

It was amazing how much had happened in that short time.

"Hi mom."

"Brooke! How's it going, sweetheart?"

"Good. Noah left a few hours ago."

"Dad's going to pick him up from the airport," mom confirmed. "Did the three of you have a good time?"

I smiled. "We did."

"How did the concert go with Grenadine?"

I rolled over onto my stomach. "It was good. Only Trevor sings live," I added.

"How is he?" mom asked cautiously.

I sighed. "Oh mom..."

I filled her in on what Trevor had told me. Mom made the appropriate noises and comments right when I wanted her to.

"So he's getting a second chance?" mom guessed.

"I think he deserves one," I said. "But there's a problem."

"Another one?"

I closed my eyes. "I have a lot of problems."

"Well, I've got time. Landon's actually taking a nap. I think he's going through a growth spurt."

I smiled. I realized that Peyton was probably in school. Mom actually had some rare alone time.

And she was giving it to me.

"You know that Nate's my techie, right?" I asked.

"Of course. Sam said he's a natural."

"He's a natural all right," I said. It came out dirtier than I had intended it to.

"Why don't I like the sound of that?" mom said suspiciously. I winced. After a pause, I filled her in on what was going on between Nate and I.

"Noah and Kay went and saw a movie and Nate stayed with me to watch a movie and..."

"Brooklyn, did he sleep with you?" mom asked.

I exhaled. "Yes."

"Oh, honey."

"I wanted to," I said in a rush.

"Was he careful?" mom asked. I knew this was awkward for her. Hell, it was totally awkward for me.

"Yes."

Mom sighed. "I think it's time you fill your prescription for birth control."

"They don't work for you," I pointed out.

"Tell me about it," mom said. "But I'd feel better knowing that you're being careful now that you're...active. Especially considering Nate's history."

My brow furrowed.

"His history?"

"He didn't tell you?"

I felt a rush of panic. "Tell me what?"

Mom sighed again. "Crap."

"Mom?"

"Sam told me that Nate's ex-girlfriend just had a baby a couple months ago. He might be the father."

"Might?"

"I don't know the whole story. I just know that if you two get together that I want you protected."

I felt numb. He had an ex-girlfriend? And possibly a baby? Aw, crap...

"I'll get my prescription filled at the next stop," I promised. "But I won't be sleeping with him again anytime soon."

"I wish your dad or I could be with you," mom said.

"You're not going to tell dad are you?" I asked. I could just picture dad turning green like the Incredible Hulk and smashing both guys into dust. Mom snorted.

"I'm not saying a word," she said. "I don't need my baby daddy in jail for murder."

I smiled weakly.

"If it helps, Aunt Angel's doing a good job," I said. "She was just busy that night and---"

"Sweetheart, I'm not faulting anyone. You can make your own decisions. But I'm your mom. I have to worry."

"I know," I mumbled.

"I miss you BooBoo," mom said lovingly. Tears came to my eyes.

"I miss you too," I said. "How are you feeling?"

Mom laughed. "Pregnant."

"Those twinnies are going to have the best mom ever," I said. Silence stretched out. Then I heard Mom sniffle.

"Aww, sweetie...thank you."

We talked for just a few minutes longer. In a lot of ways talking to her had made me feel better.

And it had made me better informed.

I hung up, tossed my phone and beat my pillow until my fists were sore.

I was involved with two guys that had both lied to me. Trevor told me that he had done it to protect me. I couldn't wait to hear Nate's reasoning.

I had so many questions for him. Why did he break up with this ex-girlfriend? What did he know about the baby? Did he take a paternity test? What were the results? If the baby was his, why was he on the road?

It was all so frustrating. I had given him something of myself that no one else would ever get.

At the very least I deserved respect.

I touched the back of my hand to my face. I was warm. I was angry. I couldn't wait until the bus stopped for gas. I was going to pay a little visit to Nate's bus.

The Carter men weren't the only ones that had a 'temper' problem. Mine was bubbling just under the surface. Besides, I was feeling the beginnings of wicked cramps. I cracked my knuckles.

With PMS thrown into the mix, it wasn't going to take much for me to explode.

Things just might get messy.