- Text Size +
Chapter Seventeen - Reno, Nevada

"Ugh, I should not be sitting in CVS at seven in the morning," I complained. Angel leaned forward and laughed.

"It's better than laying in labor and delivery for thirty six hours."

I made a face. "Well, when you put it that way..."

"Brooke Carter?"

I hopped up. The pharmacist was holding a stapled baggie with my birth control. I felt like I was dealing with contraband. I handed over my money, I got the bag, the pharmacist gave me a few instructions in a bored monotone and I was good to go.

"Hi-ho, hi-ho it's back to the bus we go!" Angel sang. She was way too chipper. As for me, I just wanted to get a few more hours of sleep before I confronted Nate.

I had a feeling I was going to need a lot of energy to get through that conversation.

-------------------------------------

"Hey beautiful."

I closed my eyes in disbelief. I had just stepped off the bus. I hadn't even been at the venue thirty seconds before both guys descended on me. Nate got to me first. Trevor gave him a dirty look and did an about face.

"Hey," I said. I turned around and crossed my arms. Nate's beautiful green eyes widened in surprise.

"Uh-oh. What's wrong?"

"We need to talk."

He followed me onto the stage. I sat down and swung my legs over the edge. He did the same.

"What's up?"

"I talked to my mom last night. Why didn't you tell me about your ex?"

Nate ran a hand through his hair. "There's nothing to tell."

"I think a baby's a pretty big thing."

He winced. "It's not mine."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm ninety five percent sure."

"What about the other five percent?"

He sighed and turned his body towards me. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I just don't want to think about it. I took this job to get away from all that crap."

"A baby's crap?" I said. He shook his head.

"No, but...it's just..."

The silence between us was horrible. He looked uncomfortable.

"I deserve honesty," I said. "I gave you my--"

"I know," he interrupted. He leaned back.

"I dated Kelly my last two years of high school. She was a year older than me. While I was finishing up senior year, she was going to the community college. She cheated on me. Her best friend told me because she felt bad that I was being duped. There was a whole fiasco, a messy breakup, and the next thing I knew I heard she was pregnant. She told me it wasn't mine and I believed her. I had been careful every time. The other guy dumped her a month before the baby was born and then all of a sudden she was sure it was mine."

"So did you take a paternity test?"

Nate shook his head.

"Why not?"

"I don't want to."

My eyes narrowed. "That's a pretty lousy excuse."

He looked at me. "She's in my past. I'm worried about my future."

He reached out and stroked my cheek. I scooted away.

"Don't be so sure I'm the future."

His eyes softened. "Brooke..."

"I don't like lies," I said.

"I didn't lie," Nate argued. "I just didn't tell you."

"Same difference, Nate," I said. I stood up. He scrambled to his feet.

"So what do you want me to do?" he asked. I bit my tongue. Guys were so dense sometimes.

"I think you owe it to that baby to get that paternity test," I said. "Once you do that, talk to me. Until then, you're just my tech guy."

"It's not that easy," he said. I swallowed hard. I knew it wasn't that easy, but I had to try to make it that easy.

"That's just the way it is."

"So you're just going to dump me and go with Trevor?"

I felt my face flame.

"Maybe I'm done with both of you!" I snapped.

I needed an Advil. I needed a heating pad.

I needed a punching bag.

-------------------------------

"Brooke, it's a pleasure to see you again!"

Rick Hogan kissed my cheek. He was the head of MTV. I was a little surprised to see him backstage before the show.

"What brings you here?" I asked.

He laughed. "I've come to beg you."

I smiled. "Beg me?"

"I want you to perform at the VMAs."

My eyes widened. "The VMAs?"

"It's in a week. You don't have a show that night. I checked. I would personally fly you in my private jet and get you back on the road in time for your concert. What do you say?"

"You're for real?" I asked.

"Absolutely. You're nominated in three categories, you know."

Of course I knew I was nominated. I had prepared a taped speech because I knew I couldn't make it to New York and back to Missouri on a commercial airline. But a private plane...

"I'd love to," I said.

Rick let out a bark of laughter. "Excellent. And of course, bring a date." His eyes twinkled. "I heard there were sparks flying on stage with Trevor Tylers. Did I heard correctly?"

It didn't take long for news to travel. I nodded.

"You'd be dynamite together on the carpet. Bring him along in case you need a trophy holder."

"I'll think about it," I said.

"Brooke, one minute!"

I squeezed Rick's arm. "I've got to go."

"That's fine. Knock 'em dead!"

I heard Grenadine thanking the crowd. I slipped under the stage. This was Reno. This was the city that never slept. I was too young to enjoy it, but I could add to the party by going out and rocking the stage.

Afterwards, I would think about who I was taking with me, though deep down I already knew who that would be. Contrary to what Rick said, I knew the guy that I picked wouldn't be my trophy holder.

Even if I did win one. Or two. Or three!