- Text Size +
Chapter Nineteen - Tulsa, Oklahoma

"Mom, is there any way I can get you to overnight that purple dress I bought last May? I want to wear it to the VMAs."

"The purple one? I don't see why not. It's still in the garment bag. Do you need it sent today?"

Mom sounded distracted.

"Is today not good?" I asked.

"Not really. Your dad's having a minor thing done at the hospital today."

I smiled. "Minor thing?"

Noah and I were well aware of what 'minor thing' mom was making dad get done.

"Minor but important," mom said.

I heard a click.

"Is that you BooBoo?"

I smiled. "Hey daddy."

"How are things going?"

I tapped my pencil against my blank sheet of graph paper. I loved math, but I was procrastinating. "Not bad. How's it going with you?"

There was a pause.

"If I don't see you again remember that I love you," he said woefully.

"NICK!"

"What?"

"Don't listen to your dad, honey. He's being a drama queen."

I laughed. "I love you, daddy."

"I love you, too. I'll be watching for you on the VMAs. Are you going with Jasper?"

I smiled. "I'm still waiting for him to let me know."

"Well, if he does go remind him that he owes me a golf game."

I laughed. "Okay, daddy."

There was a click. Mom let out a little sigh.

"He's going to be such a baby when he wakes up," mom said almost to herself. "Anyhow, can I get that dress sent out to you tomorrow? Where will you be?"

I checked the huge schedule I had tacked to the wall. "Kansas City."

"I'll have it sent to the venue," mom promised.

"Thank you. Can I talk to Pey? Is she home? I want to wish her Happy Birthday."

"She just got home. Hold on."

There was the sound of muffled voices.

"Hello?"

"Happy Birthday!" I screamed. Peyton laughed.

"Thanks."

"Where were you?"

"My friends and I went to the skating rink. I got that new zombie game."

"You did? I'm jealous."

"Well, if you're nice, I'll let you play it when you get home."

I smiled. "Sounds good. Did you get my present?"

"Yup. I've been dying for a pair. Thank you."

"No problem. It gave Aunt Angel an excuse to go with me to shop for shoes," I said.

"Yeah like she needs an excuse," Pey said. "Guess what?"

"What?"

"I'm babysitting Landon today."

I laughed. "You sound happy about that."

"Mom's paying me."

"Well good luck."

"Eh, I know how to handle him."

There was a click.

"Brooke, we're heading out. Be safe. We love you. See you soon," mom said.

"Love you too!" I called out.

Mom disconnected and a second later Pey hung up. I glanced back down at my math homework.

I sent a little prayer up that dad's surgery went okay. The world was about to see the last newborn Carters for awhile.

It was a weird thought.

------------------------------------------

"I'll go."

I looked up in confusion. My stylist sighed in frustration. The mascara wand left a thick black streak on my face.

"That's a good look on you."

I wrinkled my nose. "Shut up. What do you mean you'll go?"

"I'll take you to the VMAs."

I smiled. My stylist dabbed at my face with a wet makeup pad.

"You will?"

Jasper nodded. "Your little blonde boytoy was telling the dark haired doofus that you were taking him. I'd figured I'd rain on his parade."

"He was?" I said. I puckered my lips. "What a pompous ass."

Jasper grinned. "No comment. See ya on stage."

He left the room. I stared straight ahead and let my stylist finish up.

I had a couple things to do before show time.

------------------------------------------

"I need to talk to you."

Trevor and Kyle were milling around the food table. I grabbed his arm and tugged him aside.

"What's up?"

I poked him in the chest. "I heard you told Nate you were going with me to the VMAs."

His eyes widened. "Well I said it was a possibility."

"Well it's not a possibility. I'm going with someone else."

"Who?"

"Jasper."

Trevor scowled. "So now I have to compete with a third guy? C'mon Brooke..."

"You're not competing with him. He's a friend. The VMAs are too important to me to get distracted."

Trevor smiled. "I distract you?"

"That's not important."

He leaned towards me. "Is it a good distraction?"

I was momentarily distracted. He smelled good. I liked his outfit. My mouth opened. He leaned down for a kiss.

Common sense came back. I ducked out from under him.

"I'm not gonna answer that!" I called out.

I left Trevor to his own thoughts. I hopped down a short set of three steps. I rounded the corner and ducked behind a huge set of curtains.

"You hide well," I said. "But not well enough."

Nate sat back, his big hand curved around his camera lens. He smiled.

"Well if anyone had to find me, I'm glad it's you."

I crouched down. "What's up?"

He stretched out his legs. "I had a nice afternoon in town," he said lightly. "I got a DNA swab done."

"You did?"

He nodded. "I thought a lot about it after we talked. You're right; I need to know."

I smiled. "That was very noble of you."

His eyes crinkled up. The dimple appeared. "Well, I realized I don't like Brooke Carter mad at me."

I laughed. I pressed my palms into the ground to balance myself.

"Are you really taking Tylers to the VMAs?" he asked. He couldn't mask his annoyance. I sighed.

"I'm not taking him."

Nate's eyes lit up hopefully. I didn't want to lead him on.

"I'm taking Jasper."

"Jasper?" Nate asked. "Your guitarist?"

I smiled. "I need a plutonic evening."

"I'm still jealous."

"That's a common theme," I said. I stood up. Nate grabbed his bag and followed.

"Have a good show," he said.

"Thanks."

We stared into each other's eyes. I couldn't help but think of him intimately. I would never forget.

"Would you kick me in the balls if I kissed you right now?" he asked.

Every fiber of my body wanted to scream no and just let him do it. I took a deep breath.

"Probably," I said.

I turned and headed towards the stage. For once I was going to watch Grenadine's set. If I got asked about my opening act at the VMAs, I needed to know what they were all about.

I just wished that learning about a guy was as easy as observing a performance.

But that was a whole 'nother story.

----------------------------------------

Author's Note: I posted another LiveJournal exclusive. It's V-Day for Nick!