- Text Size +
Chapter Twenty Six

"You cheated."

McLean, you claim I cheat every year. Give it a rest. I won fair and square."

"You're not setting a good example for the boys about good sportsmanship dear."

Uncle AJ scowled. I bit the inside of my cheek to keep from laughing. Molly, AJ, Kevin, and Addy were hovering by the front door. AJ was holding Brenna in his arms. Her ears kept flopping against his back.

"Thanks for coming guys," mom said. She walked over and hugged everyone.

"What time is it?" Kay mumbled. She leaned against me and yawned. I glanced at the clock.

It was almost four in the morning. Dad had passed out on the couch around two. Aunt LeighLeigh had taken Uncle Bri back to the hotel. Kay had gotten permission to stay the night.

"Good game," Ally said. I smiled at her. We had played a wicked game of Pictionary. The boys got creamed by us.

"I want a rematch," Noah said. Ally and I laughed.

"When I get off the road you and Stefie can come over and the five of us will go shopping," I said. I pointed to Kay and Peyton. Pey's helium balloons were dead. She was sprawled over dad's recliner tossing them in the air.

"Shopping sucks," she declared. Ally laughed.

"The four of us then."

Ally gave me, Kay, and Noah a hug. I watched through sleepy eyes as everyone filed out. Mom closed the door and leaned against it.

The place was trashed. Mom gave me a smile.

"Look around BooBoo. This is a perfect example of the difference between a house and a home."

I grinned. "It may be messy, but there's no place like home."

Mom laughed. "You got it."

A loud snore erupted from the couch. We all looked at dad. Brayden and Tristan had decorated dad's face with a sinister black mustache and goatee. I prayed it was washable marker. Trash was littered everywhere.

"Dad's getting maid service, right?" Noah asked. I'm sure he had a nightmare of having to actually clean up. Mom stood up from the door and walked over to dad. She shook out a blanket and covered him up.

"Absolutely. This mama isn't touching it."

She looked at all of us and let out a whistle. "To bed with all of you! We'll wake up and have a late lunch."

Peyton scrambled out of the chair. The four of us headed upstairs. Noah pulled Kay aside at the landing. I left them alone and headed into my room.

I was pulling on an old sweatshirt over my head when Kay walked in.

"You need some PJs?" I asked.

"Please. These wings are killing me."

I laughed. "Are you done being good already?"

Kay grinned. "You don't want to know what I did in this costume tonight."

I made a face. "If it has anything to do with NoNo..."

Her grin widened. I turned around and clamped my hands over my ears. I felt her pull at my hands.

"Don't relax in the hammock anytime soon," she teased.

"GROSS!"

"GIRLS!"

Mom tapped on the door. "You're going to wake Landon!"

I gave Kay a look. She laughed quietly and rooted around my closet for a nightgown. I hadn't noticed it when she was in her costume, but as she stripped down, I already saw a bump.

My bestie was going to have my niece or nephew.

"What are you guys going to do?" I asked. The whole thing scared me. I couldn't imagine how freaked out Noah was. If guy drama hadn't scared me straight, the whole 'teen mom' thing had.

"I dunno," Kay said lightly. "Maybe we'll go to New York in a year or two."

"What's in New York?" I asked.

"Noah didn't tell you?"

"Tell me what?"

"Julliard's interested in him."

My eyes widened. "The Julliard?"

Kay laughed and flopped back on my bed. "Of course the Julliard!"

"That's amazing!"

Kay blew on her nails as if they were wet. "I know! My baby daddy's a talented guy."

I crawled into bed beside Kay and fell back against my pillows.

"Well what are you going to do if he goes to Julliard?"

Kay stopped blowing. "Take care of the baby."

"And?"

"That's enough!"

I didn't argue. I knew that I could never just be home. Even mom kept doing things at the library or working on photography so she didn't go insane.

"So what's going on with you and guitar boy?"

I rolled over and looked at Kay.

"Guitar boy?"

"Isn't his name Jasper?"

I snorted. "Nothing. We're just friends."

Kay smiled. "You were lookin' awfully chummy."

I rolled my eyes. "He's almost twenty-one. Plus, I don't need any more romance right now. Do you know how much trouble I've gotten into lately?"

"I still like Nate," Kay said. She wrappped her arms around one of my pillows.

I sighed. I thought of his damn dimpled smile. "Unfortunately, I do too. But, I think that ship has sailed."

"I hope Trevor's ship has sailed way out in the ocean."

I closed my eyes. I had wanted to help. Instead, I had just screwed things up more. "Trust me. It has. He has his own demons to work through."

We both grew quiet. I don't think it took us long to fall asleep. The last thing I thought I heard was the sound of dad trying to stumble up the stairs.

He was going to regret his binge in the morning.

--------------------------------

"Daddy, I wanna wear your glasses."

"Not right now buddy."

Landon scooted across the bench and leaned on dad.

"BUT THEY'RE COOL!"

Dad's hand shot to his forehead. Mom wrapped her hand around Landon's mouth.

"Inside voice sweetheart. Daddy's got little guys pounding on his brains."

Landon looked totally interested. "On your brains?"

I took a bite of my hamburger. We had all rolled out of bed around noon. Mom had piled us in the car and we headed straight to IHOP. We met Aunt LeighLeigh and Uncle Bri there. Dad was working his way slowly through some pecan pancakes. He was on his fifth cup of coffee. Brian didn't look as bad as dad, but every movement was slow and calculated.

"When's your next concert?" Pey asked me. She was yanking all the cream out of her stuffed french toast.

"I fly out in two days," I said glumly.

"I'm golfing with Jasper tomorrow," dad said. He looked in Noah's direction.

"You up for a game?"

Noah grinned. "Sure."

"We're flying home tonight," Kay said. She had woofed her food down and Noah was sliding her more strips of bacon. "Dad wants to make it home for church tomorrow."

"We all need to go to church," Aunt LeighLeigh said. I thought about Kay's warning about the hammock. I didn't think she was that far off.

"Landon, that goes in your mouth," mom said.

Everyone looked over at him. He was holding his straw and glass up to mom's stomach.

"These babies need ORANGE JUICE STAT!" he squealed. Dad's elbow slipped off the table. I swear his head almost hit his plate.

I picked up a fry. I nibbled the corner. Our waitress looked like she was going to stop and ask if everything was okay, but then she thought twice.

I honestly couldn't blame her.

We were a strange bunch.