- Text Size +
Chapter Thirty One - New Jersey

"She's fine, I promise. Yeah, no, uh-huh."

I was watching Jasper talk to my dad with my arms folded across my chest. My schoolwork was in front of me, not even touched. I was just too distracted.

Dad was in uber-protective mode again. As Jasper had assumed, dad had totally busted a nut with that radio interview. Management had its tail between its legs trying to fumble through one excuse after another.

He was also antsy becauase grandma and Mike had decided to stay one extra day in NYC while we went on to Jersey. I didn't think it was the end of the world, but dad was obviously having an issue with no supervision.

Then again, my track record when I was unsupervised wasn't good. Neither was Noah's.

Sigh.

"They'll meet up with us in Rhode Island," Jasper explained. "We're staying in a hotel tonight in Jersey before leaving tomorrow morning. Mike promised that they'd be waiting for us at the venue."

He grew quiet.

"I won't. She's too important."

I arched an eyebrow. Wha-wha-what?

Jasper hung up and slid his phone in his pocket.

"Who's too important?" I blurted. Jasper smiled.

"Three guesses," he said.

"Me?"

He laughed. "Nice guess."

"But what won't you do?"

His eyes sparkled. "That's top secret information."

I huffed. "Tell me."

"You're a bossy little thing, aren't you?"

"C'mon!"

"You must be hell at Christmas time. You don't take secrets well."

I slammed back into the seat.

"For your information, I've only unwrapped and rewrapped my presents three times in my whole life," I said indignantly. Jasper snorted.

"Only three times? Well, in that case..."

"Are you going to tell me or not?"

I knew I was whining; I didn't care how pathetic I sounded.

"Your dad just told me not to let you out of my sight. I promised I wouldn't."

"Ohhh," I said. I should have figured that one out for myself.

"You sound disappointed," Jas said teasingly.

I glanced down. Trigonometry stared back at me.

"Of course not," I said slowly. "It's just, you're going to have to let me out of your sight."

Jasper frowned. "Why?"

I smiled. "Because I'm going to have to shower and go to the bathroom and--"

"Okay, I know this. Think figuratively Carter."

I wrinkled my nose. Jasper plopped back down and grabbed his guitar.

"What are you doing?"

He paused with his hands on the neck. "I'm going to tune my guitar. You're going to do your homework."

I glanced back down. He started to strum and I felt myself relax. I picked up my pencil. I didn't like to be told what to do, but in truth, I did have to do my homework. My tutor was going to kill me if I didn't catch up.

"Just keep playing," I instructed. I bit the tip of my tongue and hovered over my work.

Math and music totally mix.

---------------------------------------------

"Since g-ma isn't here and we've been eating crappy the last couple days, what do you say you and me go get a nice, homecooked meal?"

I laughed. "What are you talking about?"

Jas smiled. "Yes or no! Do you want a nice meal or not?"

My heart leapt foolishly. Was he going to take me somewhere? Was it going to be a...a...

Don't say it Brooke.

"It's got to be an early dinner," I said. "I have to be back here by six."

"How about three?" Jasper asked. I glanced at the clock. It was already two.

"How long will it take to get there?"

"About a half hour."

That only gave me a half hour to get ready. I pressed my hands against his chest and backed him out of my dressing room.

"Hey, what--"

"I've got to get ready! Wait out here."

And I slammed the door in his face.

I moved faster than I ever had before. I showered like lightning. I wore a cap over my hair so I didn't have to waste the time blow-drying it. I put on my makeup. I slipped into a low cut blouse and low slung jeans and gave myself a quick once over.

I looked good.

When I opened the door, Jasper was sitting against the wall. He looked up at me.

"I'm ready," I announced. He smiled.

"You seriously could have gone in what you were wearing before," he said.

My smile flickered.

"But you look nice!" he added. It was a good recovery.

"Thank you," I said with a laugh.

"You ready to go then?" he asked. I nodded. He took my hand; a taxi was waiting outside.

Jasper opened the door and I slid inside. He ducked in right after me.

"Where to?" the driver asked in a thick Jersey accent.

"7543 Washburn Street," Jasper said.

"So what's there to eat on Washburn Street?" I asked. Jasper smiled.

"You'll see."

I didn't like that 'you'll see.' I started to get a little suspicious. The suspicion only grew stronger once I realized that the taxi was going through residential neighborhoods.

"This isn't center city," I said. The taxi started to slow. Jasper reached across me and pointed.

"That's because it isn't. We're eating there."

'There' was a pretty two story house with light yellow siding and a nice, but tiny front yard. Jasper paid the driver and got out. I sat there and continued to look out the window like a dummy.

Jasper opened the door on my side.

"C'mon."

"Where are we?"

Jasper glanced back at the house and then back at me.

"This is my parent's house."

My eyes got so big that they actually hurt. "Your parents? I can't eat here!"

"Why not? We don't tend to poison food."

He offered his hand, but I still didn't take it.

"C'mon, they know we're coming. C'mon."

He wiggled his fingers. I couldn't believe it. If I had known I was going to meet his parents...

Well, I wouldn't have worn a shirt that put my boobs on display.

Stifling a whimper, I took his hand and climbed out of the cab. Jasper closed the door and we walked towards the house. I reached up and patted my hair.

"You're fine," Jasper said easily. He knocked on the front door once and then opened it.

"Anyone home?" he called out.

"YO JAS-WAD!"

We both looked towards the stairs. An older version of Jasper was grinning at us.

"So she does exi--"

"Tommy, this is Brooke. Brooke, this is my older, dumber, and much uglier brother Tommy," Jasper said quickly. Tommy slid down the railing, did a little jump at the end, and held out his hand.

I shook it feeling dumbfounded.

"Is that 'Per'-ry?" a high voice squeaked. An absolutely gorgeous girl with black hair darted out of the kitchen. She was all hips, all boobs, and all hair. She threw herself at Jasper.

My mouth went dry. Oh crap. Was it an ex-girlfriend? A future girlfriend? A--

"Brooke, this is my sister Courtney. Court, this is Brooke Carter."

The girl unhooked herself from Jasper. She looked like she was probably eighteen or nineteen.

"It's so good to meet you! Oh my gawd, I love your hair."

Dumbfounded gave way to a little bit of disorientation. "My hair?" I said. "T-thank you."

"Jasper, don't just stand in the doorway. Come in and introduce your guest."

Jasper grinned at the sound of a female voice of authority. He closed the door and pointed me in the direction of the kitchen.

"I'm grabbing a good seat," Tommy said. He went to the right. Courtney followed right behind us.

We walked into a huge kitchen. It smelled like an Italian restaurant. There was large baskets of breadsticks, huge bowls of salad, and a dessert that made my mouth water.

Homecookin' at it's finest.

In the center of it all was a short woman with gray hair and Jasper's brown eyes. When she smiled, a million laugh lines came out. I liked her immediately.

"Momma, this is Brooke. Brooke, this is my mom, Amelia."

I loved that Jasper called his mom, 'momma.' Of course, Amelia totally looked like a 'mama.' She came close to me and stopped. I was waiting to be reprimanded about my low-cut shirt, but instead she hugged me.

"I've heard good things about you!" she said. "I'm so glad you could join us. I know you're a busy girl."

I blushed. "Well, I--"

"Dude, Jas, I think I totally fucked up this guitar."

"ROCCO SCAVOLO YEVETTI!" Momma barked. "We have company and I don't need the filth flowing out of your trap!"

She tossed a towel at him. I turned just in time to see a younger version of Jasper catch it, grin, and stuff the towel in his back pocket.

"Can you take a look at this guitar?" he asked in a more dignified voice."

Jasper smiled at me.

"You okay here?"

"Here?" I asked. I looked around. What could I say? I nodded. Jasper followed Rocco out of the kitchen.

While he was gone, I got asked a million questions by Courtney. I found out that she was eighteen. I also met Jasper's older sister Zita who was about five months pregnant, her husband Tony, Jasper's dad Johnny, both sets of Jasper's grandparents, and his Uncle Paul.

By the time Jasper came back down, I was overwhelmed. Jasper's family was as big and as hectic as mine. They were also as friendly and crazy as mine. I was helping bring food out to the table when Jasper came up behind me.

"Having fun?"

I gave him a look.

"I wasn't expecting this," I said. Jasper grinned.

"I've survived the Carters; I figured it was time for you to survive the Yevetti's for one afternoon," he said. He pulled out a chair for me.

I couldn't argue with that logic. I mean, he had even been brave enough to go golfing with my dad.

The least I could do was devour the amazing piping hot lasagne that momma put down in the center of the table.

It was going to be hard, but someone had to do it.