- Text Size +
Chapter Thirty Four

"So you're almost on the home stretch again. How's it feel?"

I paused in my battle with Noah over the thinnest slices of turkey. After all these years, dad still wasn't the best turkey carver.

"Amazing. I can't wait to be home for awhile," I said with a smile.

After the kiss, time had sped up. Jasper and I skirted around the band, grandma and grandpa, and everyone else. Before I knew it, I was home for Thanksgiving. Grandma and grandpa were coming over in a little bit for pumpkin pie. Landon was trying to eat fast so that he could play with the new puppy that had entered the house sometime while I was gone.

"I think your grandparents will be glad when the tour's over," mom said with a sparkle in her eye. She still had three months to go before the twins were born, but she already looked nine months pregnant.

"They wouldn't have such a bad time if they'd let me get them a proper bus," I pointed out. Dad laughed through a mouth of cranberry sauce.

"They're stubborn," mom said.

"Runs in the family," dad added. Mom gave him a look.

"Dude No, maybe someone else wants some mashed potatoes. Did you ever think of that?" Peyton complained. Noah dropped the big spoon.

"Sorry, your highness," he said. He passed the bowl with a dramatic bow. Pey rolled her eyes and dug in.

"I ated my geen beans and my towkey!" Landon announced. Mom glanced over at his plate.

"Eat your fruit," mom said. Landon let out a wail.

"BUT I WANNA PLAY WITH ZIPPO!"

At the sound of its name, the little black and white mutt lifted its head. I watched him take off, more than likely to find a good hiding spot away from Landon. Dad caught my eye and we smiled; I had a feeling he was thinking the same thing.

After dinner, pumpkin pie with g-ma and g-pa, watching Landon chase Zippo around the house, and talking to Kay, it was time for bed. Mom had tucked Landon in awhile ago. Noah headed up the stairs still talking on the phone. Pey had already snuck off to her room. As I crossed the hall towards my room, I saw a light shining underneath a blanket. Mom had probably picked up a new mystery that Pey was engrossed in. She had inherited mom's bookworm-iness.

When I got to my room, I quickly changed into PJ's. I checked my phone, replied to a text from Jasper, and did a couple half-hearted jumping jacks. I had pigged out, but then again it was Thanksgiving.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

I looked up. I had been studying the spot in the carpet that I had accidentally burned with my curling iron three years ago. Mom swung the door back and forth slightly.

"Hey mom," I said. "Come in." I sat down on the bed. Mom made her way to me. She sank down beside me and pressed her hands to her stomach.

"I thought two feet kicking was bad," she said. "Four's like a never ending soccer match."

I laughed. "I've missed you."

"I've missed you too, baby girl."

We both swung our legs at the same time.

"Sooooo," mom said lightly. I looked at her in confusion. That 'so' made me nervous.

"So?"

"Anything else you want to tell your old mom about the tour?" she asked.

My heart began to pound. Aw crap.

"You're not old," I said sweetly in an attempt to distract her. She just looked amused.

"Don't forget your grandfather's an ex-FBI agent," she said lightly.

I wrinkled my nose. Hadn't Jasper and I been sneaky enough?

"Are you inferring about a certain member of the opposite sex?" I asked cautiously.

Mom nudged me. "Brooklyn..."

"So what's going on with you and Jasper?"

Mom and I both looked up. Dad was hovering in the doorway. I blanched. Mom looked frustrated. Dad studied her face.

"What? You didn't get to that part yet?"

"We were having a mother-daughter moment here!" mom protested. Dad walked in and straddled my desk chair. He smiled charmingly.

"Now we're having mother-father-daughter time!" he said. He looked at me. "The gig's up. We know about Jasper."

"I was going to tell you," I complained. "What gave us away?"

"Your grandpa bugged your bus," mom said.

I smacked my forehead. Jas had warned me about that.

"And Jasper called and talked to me a couple weeks ago," dad added.

I looked up in surprise. "What?!"

Mom smiled. "He said his conscience was going to eat at him. He talked to me and your dad for an hour one night."

"He wanted to plead his case," dad said sourly. I chewed my lip.

"What's the verdict?" I asked hesitantly.

Mom and dad shared a silent exchange. Mom put her hand on my knee.

"Brooke, he's five years older than you."

"Technically four years and some odd months," I corrected.

"He's a musician," dad added. "Never trust a musician."

I laughed. "Does that include you?"

"No," dad said.

"Yes," mom said.

"Hey, now wait a minute--" dad said. Mom giggled. Yes, giggled.

"Anyhow," dad said with a mock-hurt expression on his face. "Your mother and I have talked a lot about this. We're already dealing with Noah and Kay and the baby. We just want to look out for you."

"It won't," I said. I looked at both of them with what I hoped was total seriousness. "If anything, this whole thing with Kay and Noah is a total wake-up call. Besides, Jasper and I've already talked about things and we've agreed things won't happen until I'm at least eighteen."

"Well, I'm glad that the two of you have talked about this," mom said softly. "But, sometimes it's easier said than done. In the heat of the moment--"

I did not want to think about my mother and the heat of the moment in the same context. My face must have given me away. Dad drummed his fingers on the chair.

"Why do you think we're having twins Brookey?" dad asked. He started to sing some old, old, old song called Heat of the Moment. I groaned.

"Don't say or sing anymore," I begged. Dad stopped.

"Okay, here's the thing. I like the fact Jasper called to talk to us. I'm not happy about the fact that he's older than you. But, the bottom line is that we're going to trust that you're a mature young lady who has learned from recent mistakes."

I took a moment to process dad's little speech.

"So you're saying you're cool with it?"

"Cool might be a stretch," mom said. "But, as long as you take it slow..."

"We will," I said hurriedly.

"In that case, I won't go Jasper-hunting," dad concluded.

"I like him. I just hope he doesn't turn out like the others," mom said.

"Did he tell you he took me home to meet his parents when we were in Jersey?" I asked. Mom smiled and nodded.

"He did. I thought that was sweet."

Dad didn't say anything. He was looking at me like I was five years old again.

"Why did you have to be so beautiful?" he asked gently. I blushed.

"Dad, I'm not--"

"He's not exaggeraing," mom said. She brushed her hand down my hair. "You really are beautiful. I just hate that people don't see past it. The inside is just as beautiful."

I was feeling all warm and fuzzy. I wrapped my arms around mom.

"I love you."

She kissed the top of my head. "I love you too."

I got up and gave dad a hug and kiss. He held onto me tightly.

"I hate that you're growing up," dad said mournfully.

"NoNo's growing up faster," I reminded him. Dad's eyes darkened.

"I know BooBoo."

"I know."