- Text Size +
Chapter Forty One

Being away from Jasper sucked. Getting back into a 'normal' routine with school, chores, and homework was torture.

The only good thing was that I was finally able to hang out with Kay again. But even that was different. There was no denying the growing baby in her stomach. She spent almost every lunch hour with her hand on her abdomen, stroking it, a frown etched on her face. Half the time, Noah and Kay had broken up before the day was over, only to 'get back together' the following morning.

Tension had built up while I was gone; I was almost homesick for my bus.

Like the year before, my tutor had done a fabulous job. I was ahead of the rest of my classmates. It gave me the opportunity to goof off, but it also made the days drag.

The only good part of February was Valentine's Day. Even though Jasper was in Jersey, we managed a nice, long video chat. He had sent me an edible mood candle as a gift; I returned the favor by giving him a little 'dripping wax' show. I know I should have learned my lesson about technology and body parts, but the look on Jasper's face kinda trumped common sense.

The next day, Kay and Noah took off early from school for an ultrasound. I skipped my last class and went to Starbucks with a couple of other reckless seniors. When the hands on my watch finally clicked to three, I picked Pey up and we headed home.

Noah, Kay, and Peyton were in the living room.

"Where's mom and dad?" I asked. Pey tossed down her bookbag and headed for the kitchen.

"Your mom went into labor," Kay said.

"What?"

Mom hadn't been due for another few weeks.

"Da babies are coming!" Landon said. I watched as he poked a finger into Kay's belly. She smiled down at him.

"When did they leave?"

"Like two hours ago," Noah said. He had on ESPN and seemed preoccupied.

"So what are you two having?" Pey asked. She plopped into dad's chair and bit down on an apple.

"It's a boy," Kay said almost sadly.

"Boys have hoses!" Landon said proudly. "Girls have tacos!"

"LANDON!"

Noah snickered; I didn't have to guess where Landon had heard that theory.

I put down my bookbag. The five of us camped out in the living room. As the oldest, I knew I was in charge. "We should do homework," I declared about an hour later.

"I'm hungry!" Landon whined.

I got to my feet. Everyone watched me.

"Everyone want pepperoni?" I asked. Four heads nodded enthusiastically.

While I was on the phone ordering the pizza, Aunt LeighLeigh arrived. She pressed her hand against Kay's stomach and started talking to her and Noah. When I came out of the kitchen, she smiled at me.

"Exciting, isn't it?" she asked. I smiled. "Yeah, it is."

Leighanne looked around. "Do you guys have homework?"

I gave Noah a look. Why couldn't he have at least gotten his work out?

Ten minutes later we were all working on our assignments. Kay found Landon some paper and crayons and he kept himself busy 'doing school.'

By eight o'clock the pizza was gone and our homework was finished. The second the phone rang, I dove for it. I bounced excitedly; the caller ID told me it was dad.

"Hello?"

"Hey BooBoo," dad said. He sounded excited.

"How's mom?" I asked.

"Amazing. Perfect. I can't think of any other adverbs right now."

"Adjectives," I corrected. Dad laughed.

"Thanks smartie. Has everyone eaten?"

"Uh-huh," I said.

"Did you guys do your homework?"

"Uh-huh."

"Do you want to come see your sisters?"

I let out an excited giggle. "We can come up?" I asked. "All of us?"

"Every single one of you. We'll be waiting."

I beamed. "Okay. Love ya, daddy."

"Love you, too."

I hung up and turned around. Everyone was looking at me. I clapped my hands.

"Let's go!"

-------------------------------------------------

I didn't wait to knock once we all got to the room. Pey and I walked in unannounced.

The first thing I saw was mom. Dad was hovering over her, his arm around her shoulders. Mom's arms were full of pink blankets. She looked up and smiled.

"Hey girls," she said. She looked tired, but happy. So happy. "Come meet your sisters."

Pey walked around the bed to one side; I walked up to the other. Dad reached down and shifted the blankets.

They were so tiny. And pink. A little finger poked out. A little face squished up and yawned.

I was in love.

"They're so tiny," I whispered. Mom and dad smiled at each other.

"They're big considering how early I delivered," mom said. "No NICU for these two."

I sat down on the bed. Mom shifted a little bundle towards me. I took it gingerly.

"That's Megan," dad said. Mom was giving Peyton the other pink wrap.

"And that's Taryn," mom said.

A little button nose. A soft tuft of blonde hair. I leaned down and kissed Megan's forehead.

"What a different sixteen years makes," dad said. I looked up. He was looking at me with love. "You couldn't look at your brother without screaming. And now..."

I laughed. I had heard the story too many times to count. I brought my finger to Megan's chin. Her mouth opened on reflex.

"That's cuz Noah's annoying. Megan's not going to be annoying, are you?"

She started sucking the air. I took that as a no.

After a few more minutes of an out-and-out love fest, dad went out and got Landon. Landon almost devoured the girls he was so excited. He clung to Liv protectively and stared down at the babies in amazement.

Noah and Kay were the last two to come in. Kay looked uncomfortable; Noah's expression was unreadable. Landon beamed at his big brother.

"This one's Taryn," he said.

"And this one's Megan!" He clapped his hands excitedly.

"He can tell them apart better than I can," dad said with a laugh.

"They're identical?" Noah asked.

"Down to the last drop," dad confirmed.

Mom passed Taryn to Kay. Noah took Megan. The sight of Noah with an infant just seemed so wrong. I felt tears come to my eyes. I felt scared for him. Really, truly scared.

"You're right," Noah said, breaking the quiet. Kay looked over at him.

"I'm right?"

Noah looked at mom and dad and then back at Kay.

"We'll talk later."

I didn't like the sound of his voice; it sounded ominous. Kay seemed to know exactly what he was referring to. As Noah handed Megan back to me, I looked down at her tiny face. I knew firsthand how lucky she was; she had a great mom and dad.

She also had a big sister that was going to spoil her and Taryn rotten.