- Text Size +
Chapter Five - Pittsburgh, PA

For the next few days after the whole 'do-able' incident, I kept a little more distance between myself and Nate. I still couldn't believe that I had actually said that to him. What did I know about being do-able?

The day after I had been so mortified that I had called Kay for moral support. The whole thing had amused her, but I just felt better telling someone. Plus, after sending her a horribly fuzzy picture of him that I took as he was walking by, Kay had deemed him a total hottie.

As if I hadn't alreay known that.

I couldn't wait to see Kay. Uncle Bri was still letting her come out to L.A. for my concert. Not only would I get to see her, but that was also the day Aunt Angel took over for dad as my guardian on the tour. She always gave me way more independence than dad did.

The bus was making its way to Pittsburgh. We had gotten a late start out of Ohio the night before. I hoped that we wouldn't cut it too close. Nate wanted to hide the first VIP pass somewhere today. Just the thought of being in close proximity to him made my pulse spike.

I was still in bed thinking about home and family (and Nate) when my phone rang. I could hear the sound of dad snoring coming from my half-opened door. I rolled over and checked my phone.

It was home.

"Hey!" I said happily. I couldn't deny I was already a little homesick. Plus, I hadn't talked to mom in a couple days. I really wanted to talk to her about Nate. She had known Sam forever; surely she would know some more about his nephew.

"Where's dad?" Noah asked. I frowned.

"Well, don't say hi or anything," I said. Noah sighed.

"Sorry. Hi. Listen, I need to talk to dad."

"Did you call his phone?" I asked.

"It's off."

"That's because he's snoring. What's going on?"

"Mom's locked in the bathroom."

I laughed. "What?"

"Pey, Landon, and I were having breakfast when I heard mom scream. I ran up the stairs to see what was wrong, but she was already coming down. I seriously don't know if she even realized we were there. She went down the hallway talking to herself. Her hands were moving around so fast it looked like she might fly. You know how she gets when she gets all nervous or excited."

I nodded. "I know." Mom was a total hand talker. "What was she saying?"

"I don't know. She mumbled dad's name and said 'Oh My God' about six times. Before I could ask her what was going on she turned, walked down the hall, and locked herself in the bathroom. Sound familar?"

My eyes widened. I scrambled up into a sitting position. "Oh my god, no WAY. You really don't think so, do you?"

"Well, she did almost the exact same thing before. Luckily last time dad was home to talk her out. I don't know what to do!"

I hopped out of bed. "Hold on. I'll wake dad up. Where are you?"

"I'm in the kitchen. Landon decided to see if eggs stuck to the ceiling. It's a mess in here."

I walked out of my room and pushed the curtain to dad's bunk back. His mouth was open; I was pretty sure he was gearing up for another snore.

"Dad!" I said loudly. I shook his shoulder. He turned on his side. I gave him a hard nudge to his side.

"DAD!"

His eyes flew open. He squinted up at me.

"What's up BooBoo?" he mumbled groggily. I held out my phone.

"Noah needs to talk to you."

Dad looked confused. He ran his hand down his face and took the phone.

"Hello?"

I stepped back, but I didn't go very far. I listened to dad's end of the conversation.

"What happened?" dad asked. There was a long pause while Noah retold the story.

"She what?!" dad asked. At this point he climbed out of the bunk. He ran a hand through his hair.

"Okay, I've got a spare key for emergencies now. Go into the kitchen and check the junk drawer. There's a small brown box. It's the key on the right. Unlock the door, put me on speaker, and slide the phone into the room."

It was almost like a SWAT team operation. I could imagine grandpa in his younger days strategizing almost the exact same way.

Dad began to pace while Noah followed his instructions. I couldn't blame him. I had seen mom spazz out just like this.

Four and a half years ago.

When she found out she was pregnant with Landon.

I remember the day clealy. It was Valentine's Day. Dad had just picked Noah and I up from middle school. Peyton had stayed home sick that day. I was teasing Noah about this huge Valentine a girl had made him when we walked in. Pey was standing there in the hallway waiting for us with Kleenex shoved up her nose.

"Mom's lost it," she said. And then she went back to bed.

Dad had spent two hours crouched by the bathroom door talking to her. Noah and I stayed in the living room to do our homework. We didn't want to miss any of the action.

"It's your fault!" mom finally bellowed. Those were the first words she had actually said since dad had started talking to her. Noah and I whirled around. Dad waved us away, but all we did was turn back around.

"What's all my fault?" dad asked quietly.

"You HAD to mention that you missed the sound of little feet!"

Noah and I whirled back around. The look on dad's face was priceless.

"Little feet?" he said. He broke into a grin. "You're---oh honey!"

Dad ended up having to take the door off the hinges. It took forever to calm mom down. She was holding onto the pregnant test stick so hard her knuckles were white.

I'm pretty sure mom was happy enough just with the three of us. She was always telling everyone how she had gotten her babies out of the way so she could enjoy the 'golden years' with her husband. That dream was soon replaced with the reemergence of a crib, diapers, breast milk, and a crazily hormonal mother.

Of course, mom returned to just being mom after Landon was born. After that it was mushy comments about how she missed the smell of a baby powdered bottom and how his little knees were so dimply because he was so chubby.

And now it was like deja vu.

"Honey?" dad said suddenly. I assumed Noah had managed to slide the phone into the bathroom. "It's Nick. Talk to me. What's going on?"

A couple seconds passed. Then all of a sudden I heard mom's voice. I couldn't tell what she said exactly, but I knew by that freaked out tone what it meant.

Dad was going to have to get a crib back out.

------------------------------------

"I'll be fine dad. Don't worry."

"Angel said she can get here by tonight."

"Seriously. It's okay. Mom needs you more."

"I can't believe this," dad said. "How did this happen?"

I raised a hand and smiled. "I can explain."

Dad pointed a finger at me. "Zip it."

I ran my hand over my lips and gave him a sweet smile. He grinned, zipped up his duffel bag, and kissed my forehead.

"I'm so sorry to do this to you," he said. I shook my head.

"Dad, you're only a phone call away."

He opened his arms. I hugged him tightly.

"I love you BooBoo."

"I love you too dad."

I followed him out of the bus. A car was waiting to take him to the airport. I blew him a kiss as he got into the car. He caught it. A minute later he was gone.

For the first time ever on tour it was just me. Sure, Aunt Angel was going to be here in less than twelve hours, but for those twelve hours I was on my own.

What was a girl to do?

"Hey Brooke, you want to go hide this VIP pass?"

I looked to my left. Nate hopped off of his bus. He swung the pass in the air and grinned.

I smiled. He was wearing a tight black tanktop. I realized that dark haired, green-eyed guys should not wear black.

It was lethally hot.

"Sure," I said.

"Do I need to tell your dad the exact GPS coordinates of where I'm taking you?" he teased. I laughed.

"You could," I said. "But my dad just left to catch a flight home."

I flipped my hair. "I'm all alone," I added. I swear that my body was acting without my permission. I actually felt my eyelashes flutter.

Nate laughed. "Well, in that case it's my duty to keep you out of trouble."

"Out of trouble?" I asked. My mouth just couldn't shut up. He walked towards me. His eyes danced playfully. He checked me out.

"Do you like trouble?" he asked. He took my hand.

"Within reason," I said. My heart was pounding. He shook his head.

"Too bad," he said with a sigh. "Because it looks like I'm your responsible adult this afternoon."

I straightened up. "You're not that much older than me."

He tapped my nose with his other hand. My nose!

"I'm older and wiser."

I smiled. "We'll see about that," I said.

"Let's go."