- Text Size +

CHAPTER 8


About twenty minutes later Nick had the mess cleaned up and James sitting on the kitchen table.

Nick had just opened one of the two jars of baby food.

His gag reflex kicked in as he took a wiff of the green goo.

"Don't smell very good?" Baylee asked.

"This cra- stuff... does NOT smell like peas." Nick complained.

"Betcha it don't taste like either." Baylee smiled.

"Wanna find out for me?" Nick asked hoping Baylee would fall for it.

"I'm not dumb Uncle Nick." Baylee told him.

"Of course not...Your smart." Nick mumbled.

Baylee hearing this and sang, "I'm smart and you’re not!!!" He giggled.

Nick glared at the young boy, "That's not a nice thing to say..."

Baylee then stopped smiling, "I'm sorry, but hurry up and eat it before James starts crying again."

Nick sighed, "Just do it, Carter...just suck up and swallow it..." He said to himself then shoved the spoon in his mouth and swallowed the mashed peas.

"Oh, god..." Nick choked as the food came back up. He ran over to the sink and took a glop of water.

James giggled and clapped his hands.

Baylee laughed at both of them.

"Alright, enough you two." Nick wiped off his mouth and sat back down at the table.

James smiled and cooed.

Nick picked up the spoon and scooped a little of the mashed peas onto it. 

James opened his mouth in anticipation.

Slowly Nick put the spoon in his mouth.

James quickly took the food and opened his mouth showing Nick he wanted more.

"You like this sh- stuff." Nick couldn't believe it.

James clapped his hands together again.

So Nick kept feeding him the jar until it was empty.

"Baylee, can you toss this out for me?" Nick asked.

"I can." Baylee nodded but did not move.

"Excuse me... Baylee MAY you toss this out?" Nick said after rolling his eyes.

"Yep!" He said then took it from him.

"I wonder if I have to taste this too?" Nick said picking up the second jar.

He stared at it then at James who was very happy at this point, he undid the lid and tried to make James eat. 

James closed his mouth. He wouldn’t' budge. 

Nick sighed and took in a spoon full of carrots.

Baylee's eyes twinkled watching.

Nick swallowed a big gulp of air. He pinched his nose to keep the smell from filling his nose and pushed the spoon into his mouth. Nick swallowed quickly. He began to cough and gag but quickly washed it down with water. 

Baylee laughed.

James clapped his hand together and opened his mouth wide.

"This is nuts." Nick shook his head giving James a spoonful of the orange goo.

James took it down and opened his mouth again. "Mo Mo!" He yelled.

"Baylee did he just call me Ma ma?" Nick asked worried.

"No silly. He means 'more more' cause that's what Aunt Leigh says to him when she feeds him." Baylee explained.

"Thank God." Nick sighed.

Baylee laughed a bit and watched as Nick fed James the rest of the jar of food.

"All done kiddo." Nick told James as he handed the empty jar to Baylee.

Baylee threw it away while Nick took James over to the sink to wash his face.

James screamed in protest as Nick tried to wipe his face with the dampened napkin. He moved his face from left to right and used his hand and arm to try to block his face from Nick.

"Hold still!" Nick complained.

Baylee giggled, "Uncle Nick! You gotta give him a toy or something to play with so he'll be distracted."

"Oh...Does he have any here?"

"In the bag."

"Can you get them please?"

"I can." Baylee grinned.

Nick sighed, "May you get one of his toys for me?"

"Yep!" Baylee said going over to James' bag.

He picked out a shaker and handed it to James.

James shook it and hit Nick on head with it.

"OW!!! HOLY SH-" Nick stopped himself. For a moment, he stayed quiet. "That really hurt." He said as he finished wiping James' face off.

Baylee giggled.

"It's not funny to laugh at other people's pain." Nick grumbled.

"But you do it to Uncle AJ alll the time!" Baylee pouted.

"That's different because when your a grown up you can do whatever you want and laugh at whoever or whatever you want." Nick explained taking James into his arms.

"How are you gonna make him fall asleep?" Baylee asked.

"Uh..." Nick trailed off.