- Text Size +

The first week flew by in a flash. I was settled in at home & after a few days Grayson got to join me. Nick had been nothing but wonderful to me & Gray. I felt closer to him that ever before. He'd been staying with me every night. They still hadn't located Micah, but I knew it was only a matter of time before he surfaced again.. I was a little nervous because of that. Not only was Nick there, I had my bodyguard fly in & he was staying in one of the guest rooms at my parents house. Not too mention the police officers that were taking shifts out in front of the house. For now I was safe, but eventually I would have to venture back into the world.

A shrill cry pulled me from my thoughts. I sat up as quickly as I could. I felt a hand on my shoulder. "Relax Laney, I'll get him." I sighed & laid back down. I watched as Nick got out of bed & padded across the room to the bassinet & leaned over picking Grayson up. "Hey now, little man, what's all the screaming about? Huh?" He walked back over & sat in the bed next to me. "Are you hungry, Gray? Is that it?" He handed him over to me. "You stay here with Mommy & I'll go get you a bottle."

I smiled & took him. "Thanks, Carter." He kissed my cheek & got up to go downstairs. I looked down at my precious baby boy. He was staring at me intently. "I'm trying so hard to be strong & not get used to this, Gray. I can't lie to him forever. He has to know the truth & I know as soon as I tell him he's going to re-think his decision to be with us." I kissed Grayson's forehead. "I just don't know how to tell him."

"Tell who what?" I hadn't heard him come back in. He handed me the bottle before climbing in the bed next to me.

"Huh?"

"Don't be keeping secrets, Lane."

I smiled. "I'm not. It's just I haven't talked to my publicist since all of this happened. I just don't know what I'm going to tell Rick."

"Well, for starters you're going to hire a new publicist. You know Rick & Micah have ties together."

I gasped. "Oh my God, Carter. I didn't even think of that."

He chuckled. "Well, hun, you have been a little preoccupied."

I nodded. "Isn't that the truth?"

"Let me handle everything. I'll contact your lawyer about Rick & I'll give my publicist a call. I'll set up a time for her to come out here. I'm sure Renee wouldn't mind taking you on."

"You really are too good to me, Carter."

"You just concentrate on taking care of this little guy & I'll concentrate on taking care of you."

Nick took Grayson from me & put him back in his bassinet. I look at the clock, realizing it was only 4 am. I saw Carter looking at me through the shadows. "Get some sleep, Laney. He'll be awake again in a couple hours."

I cuddled up in the blankets. "Where are you going?"

"I'm just going to go send a quick email to Renee to call me as soon as she wakes up."

"Okay." He went to leave the room. "Carter?"

"Yeah?"

"Thank you again."

"No need for thanks."

***
NICK

I left Laney's room, grabbing my laptop bag on the way out. I set it up on the kitchen table downstairs. I quickly logged into my email. There really wasn't anything too important as I scrolled through. Finally one caught my eye. It was from Carly & it was marked urgent. I clicked on it.

Nicky,
I'm so sorry. I should've given you the benefit of the doubt. I was foolish to let you go & I hope that maybe we can talk sometime soon. I tried calling, but your phone has been off. I love you so much.

XOXO,
Carly

"Fantastic." I said out loud. "Just what I fucking need right now."

"Language, young man." I jumped at the sound of Laney's father's voice.

I closed my laptop & looked at him. "I'm sorry, Mr. Davis."

He made himself a cup of coffee & sat across from me. "What's on your mind, son?"

I shook my head. "Oh, a lot of things. I'm worried about Laney. I'm hoping they find Micah soon. She can't stay here forever."

He nodded. "I know. I hope they find him soon too. I always knew that boy was bad news. Even when they were just young kids growing up." He took a sip of his coffee. "When she came back here after what happened she was so broken. I think he took advantage of that. There's a part of me that thinks he got her pregnant purposely so she wouldn't have a choice but to marry him."

I knew I had hurt her, but her father was making me realize that this was my fault. Had I not made a stupid choice that night none of this would be happening. I felt like an absolute piece of shit. "Nick, I know that you still care about my daughter, but she's so fragile right now. A relationship is the last thing that she needs to worry about."

"Mr. Davis, that's the last thing on my mind right now. I just want to be there for her & Grayson. I made a mistake in the past & I pay for that every day. I assure you that I do not ever want to hurt Laney again."

"Good, I'd hate to have to come after you."

I nervously chuckled. "I promise you, sir." I heard Grayson start fussing from upstairs. "I better go check on him." I got up & started towards the stairs.

"You're a good man, Nick. True, you've made mistakes, but Laney really is lucky to have you in her life." He told me.

"Thank you, sir. That means a lot." And with that I made my way back upstairs.