- Text Size +

Another month passed. Another month without them finding him. I was beginning to feel like they weren't even trying. I was beginning to get very nervous because I was due to go back out on tour in just six short weeks. Then he would know my every move.

Nick had been so great these past weeks since the incident & he is so amazing with Grayson. I was sad that he had to go back out to California in just a couple of day. He had set up with his publicist for me. She had flown out her a few weeks ago to help me prepare a statement to release to the press. News of the birth of Grayson & my estranged husband was all over the news & internet. Rick had legally been let go, which hadn't been a pretty confrontation. I'm just glad I wasn't the one delivering that news to him. Divorce papers had also been filed & as for custody of Grayson - well not judge in his right mind would let that lunatic near any child. Besides the birth certificate said nothing about Micah Wallace being the father. On paper that child was Nick's. He had made the decision to sign the birth certificate. He & I were the only ones the knew that though, other than the nurses at the hospital of course. It was our little secret.

Secrets, I sure had a lot of those right now. I was torn from my thoughts when my mother knocked on my bedroom door & peeked in. "May I come in?"

I nodded. She walked in & took a seat in my desk chair. She had a strange look on her face. I couldn't exactly read it. "Momma, what is it?"

"It's about Micah." That had my attention. I sat up quickly.

"Did they find him?" I asked, hopeful. Just maybe this nightmare would be over & I could go back to living my life. She nodded.

"He was served the divorce papers, Lane."

"Well, that's good news, right?"

She didn't seem to enthusiastic. "He's refusing to sign them. He wants to see the baby, Laney."

"No. Absolutely not. That is NOT happening. I am not taking that baby anywhere near him."

"Alaina, I know what he's done is beyond awful, but he has rights."

"He has absolutely no rights. He is NOT that baby's father." I said, raising my voice slightly. I gasped when I realized what I had just said.

She stared at me. "What do you mean, Laney? Of course he is."

I sighed. "Momma, please, just forget I said anything...I'll think about it."

"Absolutely not. You will tell me what is going on & you will tell me now, young lady."

I hated the fact that my Mom could read me like a book. I guess I couldn't keep it a secret from her any longer. "Momma.....if I tell you, you have to promise me that you will not say a word to anyone....especially Nick. I can't bare to lose him right now & I know that's exactly what's going to happen when he finds out what I've done."

"Alaina, you know I can't promise that....Just tell me. What is going on?"

I took a deep breath. "Nick's not here right now is he?" She shook her head. "Ok...Remember how I was out here visiting right before Nick & I broke up?" She nodded her head. That had been where I was coming home from the morning my world shattered. "Well, while I was here I kind of did a terrible thing. I didn't know it at the time, but when Nick & I broke up I was already pregnant."

Her eyes grew wide. "So Nick is Grayson's father?"

I could feel tears welling up in my eyes. "I'm not sure....."

"Alaina Marie, what do you mean 'you're not sure'? What did you do?"

"I cheated on him, Momma... I'm no better than he is..."

She hugged me tight. "Oh honey, I can't believe you would do that...."

"It was a mistake. A stupid mistake & look at what it's caused me. It's going to cost me every bit of happiness I have left."

She sat back. "You have to tell him. Nick has been so good to you these last weeks & to Grayson. He deserves to know the truth. You have to find out if he's the father or if it's Micah..."

I closed my eyes, trying to conceal the tears. It was no use. "Momma, I don't wanna lose him. I love him too much to let him go."

"To let who go?" Nick said from the doorway holding Grayson. "What's going on? Are you okay, Lane?"

I hadn't heard him come in. "Uhm...yeah....I'm okay. It's just they caught Micah. He's demanding to see Grayson before he'll even consider signing the divorce papers."

"What? That's bullshit."

"Nick! Watch you language...." My mother said.

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Davis." She stood up & took Grayson from Nick's arms.

"It's okay, just don't let it happen again." She turned to me. "I'll leave you two alone to talk." With that she was out of the room & it was just the two of us. It was the moment of truth. I could do this. I had to do this, no matter the outcome. I owed it to him...Hell, I owed it to Grayson. Especially if Nick did turn out to be the father.