- Text Size +

NICK-

Today was the day I had been dreading all week. Here we were sat, at the airport, waiting on my flight back to LA. I'd be gone for at least a week, if not longer. I didn't want to leave Laney & Grayson behind, but I knew it was something I'd have to do. The past couple of days since we had our visit with the doctor had me really thinking. I had been thinking about every little aspect of my life. Laney was & still is the best thing that had ever happened to me, but even though I know I did the same thing to her, I couldn't help but feel hurt & betrayed by her. I don't even really think I was that upset that she had cheated on me; I'd just be the biggest hypocrite in the world if that were the case. I think the reason I was upset was because she had never told me about Grayson. Even all of those times I had seen her out on the road, she had been passing that baby off as his; and for what reason? Did she honestly think that I would turn & run the other way if I knew that there was even the remote possibility I was a father? Sure, I probably would've freaked out a bit, but it's not like we'd really been doing our part to prevent the possibility. Now there was nothing I wanted more than to be the biological father to that boy. We'd bonded & I had this sinking feeling in my gut that if I didn't get what I wanted I was going to be so disappointed that I wouldn't be able to look at him & not be reminded of what I will probably never have. Maybe it was best that I wasn't going to be there when Laney got the results. If I wasn't the father, it would give me some time to compose myself & let it sink in before I had to see her & Grayson again. Or maybe if I wasn't the father I could just turn & look the other way; not even bother going back to her. Who am I kidding? I love her; and Daddy or not, I loved him too.

"I'm really going to miss you being around, Carter." She spoke from her seat next to me in the terminal. "I think Grayson is too."

I took him from her arms. "I'm going to miss you & your Mommy so bad, little man." I kissed him on the top of his head, hearing my boarding call. We both stood up, I pulled Laney close to me. "You'll call me the second you hear from her? I don't care what time it is."

She nodded into my chest. "I promise, Carter. And you'll call as soon as you land in LA, so I know you made it?"

It as my turn to nod. "Yes, of course." I placed another kiss on Grayson's little head. "See ya later, buddy." I handed him back to Laney & leaned down to kiss her cheek. "We'll talk soon."

She nodded & smiled. "I love you, Nick."

With that I smiled, turned & headed towards my gate. Sure, I should've said it back, but I can't get in that deep just yet. Not only for me, but I can't give her false hope that everything is going to be okay.

***

4 DAYS LATER - LANEY

"Alaina, Phone!" I heard my father yell up the stairs. I quickly jumped up of my bed. It was early, so early in fact that I was still half asleep. I made my way down the stairs, grabbing the baby monitor as I walked out the door.

I took the phone from my father's hand. "Thanks Daddy." He smiled. I had a feeling this was the phone call I had been anxiously awaiting. I put the phone up to my ear. "Hello?"

"Alaina Davis?"

"Yes, this is her."

"This is Dr. Wischer's office. We have your results."

I took a deep breath. "And?"

"There is a 99.99% chance that Mr. Carter is the father."

I couldn't contain myself. Tears were instantly cascading down my cheeks. Tears of joy, of course. "Oh my goodness, thank you so much."

"I'm glad we could be of assistance to you. You can pick up your copy of the results at the office anytime."

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" We ended the phone call & I turned to face my father & my mother who had no doubt ran into the kitchen the moment she heard the phone ring. "Nick IS Grayson's father!" I exclaimed.

"Oh baby! That's such wonderful news!" My mother hugged me first, then my father.

"Now we just need to get this divorce finalized so you can be a proper family," he said. I looked at him.

"Daddy, I'm not forcing him into anything. I just want him to be there for Gray & he will be," I told him. "Speaking of, I better go call him. He's going to be so happy."

"Go on," my mother said. "I'll listen for the baby."

"Thank you, Momma." I took the phone & headed into my father's office. I quickly dialed Nick's cell phone number. If it were only 8 in the morning this was surely going to be an early wake up call for him, but he said anytime.

It was 3 rings before I heard him answer the phone. "Lane?"

"Hi." I was trying to contain myself long enough to tell him. "The doctor's office just called."

"And what did they have to say?"

I was crying. "Congratulations, You're a Daddy!"

"Are you kidding me?!" I could tell he was awake now.

I shook my head as if he could see me. "No. Of course not. You're Gray's father."

"Oh my god, this is...wow...this is the most amazing feeling I've ever felt in my life. I'm going to catch the next flight out."

"But Nick, you're job?"

"It can wait. My son is much more important right now."

"I love the sound of that." I said.

"Me too."

"I have my first radio interview tomorrow, maybe you can be here for it. I'm not sure how you want to handle all of this."

"I'll be there. I'm going to get my shit together & I'll be home to you soon."

I smiled. "Okay."

"And Lane..."

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

"I love you too, Nick."

***

NICK

"Nick, you can't just up and leave, we're in the middle of recording. What the hell is so important that you have to rush off?" Howie asked me. I wanted to seriously punch him.

I rolled my eyes. "You guys will find out soon enough, I just really HAVE to go."

"For how long?" Brian questioned.

"I'm not sure. A couple weeks maybe."

"A couple of weeks?!" Howie was beginning to grate on my nerves.

"Listen, it has to do with Laney & Grayson. I have to go be with them right now."

"Nick, that child isn't even yours." AJ had to chime in.

"Well, I suppose now is as good of a time as any to tell you guys, but if you tell anyone, I will hurt you."

"Tell us what?" Brian asked.

"Laney & I had a test done. I am actually Grayson's father. We just got the results today." They all just stared at me in shock. "So you see, I need to be with Laney & my SON."

"Wow. I can't believe this," Howie said.

"Just go, Nick. We'll get our tracks done & add you in later. Just please, keep us posted." Brian told me.

"Thanks. I'll be in touch." With that, I left to head to the airport to catch my flight back to my son. That still just sounds way too weird, but I've never been so happy in my life.