- Text Size +

Epilogue

-May 26th, 2012-

The sun was shining brightly that morning. I had awoke with a smile on my face. It was my wedding day. Nick & I were finally going to be a family with Grayson. Now here I was sitting in the my bedroom at my parents home dressed in my wedding gown. My mother was helping to curl my hair. I looked at myself in the mirror to see her smiling at me. "I'm so happy for you, honey. Nick is a great man. He's given up a lot for you & Gray."

I smiled back. "I know, Momma. How did I ever get so lucky?"

There was a knock on the door. "Who is it?" My Momma asked.

"Lucy." Lucy was my cousin & had been my best friend since we were kids. She was serving as my maid of honor today.

"Come on in." I said. The door opened quickly & Lucy walked in. She looked beautiful in the dress I'd picked out for her. It was a deep blue color & stopped right about the knee.

"Oh, Laney, you look beautiful!" She gushed. I stood up and she gave me a hug.

"Thank you, Lucy...I'm so happy you're here to spend this day with me."

"I wouldn't of dreamt of missing it."

"Okay, Laney, we need to get to the park, it's almost time." My mother said. We began gathering our things and were on our way. Nick & I had decided to get married in the same spot he'd first told me he loved me, the spot where he had originally proposed. It was just going to be small intimate ceremony. Only a handful of people had been invited. Nick had even gone through the trouble of reserving a church & reception hall on a completely different day in LA so that the press would be thrown off of when the actual wedding was happening. Today was about me & him; nothing else.

***

I was nervous. Nervous that she was going to change her mind. We'd been through so much & now here I was at the park where it had all really started for us watching as Grayson stumbled around on the playground. Watching carefully that he didn't mess up his tux. I couldn't help but smile at the boy who was the spitting image of me. I knew that years down the road I was going to have my hands full. I felt someone come up behind me & put a hand on my shoulder. I turned & smiled when I saw Kevin standing there. He had made the cross country trek to be there for me on my big day. "You ready to do this, Nick?"

I nodded, still keeping my eyes on Grayson. "I've honestly never been so ready for something in my entire life. Thank you again for being here for me man. I couldn't think of anyone I'd rather have standing up there with me than you."

"Don't mention it, Nick. You know I wouldn't miss this for the world."

"I guess it's about that time, isn't it?"

He chuckled. "Yup. Last chance to run."

I smiled & shook my head. "No. This is where I want to be. My life is perfect now." I walked over to pick up Grayson.

We made our way to the site of the ceremony & before I knew it the time had come to make Laney my wife. I was so glad that we had decided to go against the celebrity tradition of a huge event. We both wanted this day to just be about Laney, Grayson & myself. Our guest list was small. Her parents & brother were there. My siblings were all there, as well as the guys & their significant others. And that was the extent of the guest list. It was a perfect day & I was marrying the perfect woman.

I smiled as I watched Laney walk down the make shift aisle. She was absolutely gorgeous. She slowly made her way to me & I took her hands in mine.

The minister said his thing & we exchanged our vows. And just like that, the wedding was over. "I know pronounce you, husband & wife. Nick, you may kiss your bride."

I smiled. "With pleasure." I leaned in and kissed her like I never had before. I could hear our audience cheering & clapping. She was now my wife. I was now her husband. Life would never again be the same & I was happy about that. Laney's mother walked up & handed Grayson to us & we both placed a kiss on his cheeks. We were a proper family now. This was the way it was supposed to be all along.

***

Chapter End Notes:

Follow Me: @MimiMarie84