- Text Size +

-September 2010-

I wasn't quite sure what the purpose was for us to be at the VMA's this year. We had just wrapped a tour & quite honestly I just wanted some time off. I hadn't heard from Laney in two months, but really I was a fool for thinking that I would. She had made it perfectly clear, she was a married woman & planned to stay that way. I had found comfort of an old friend, Carly. She was more or less my girlfriend now, not that I really wanted to date anyone. I'm a man though, I do have needs & I couldn't just be alone forever. So here I was walking the red carpet at an awards show where not only were we not performing or presenting an award, we weren't even fucking nominated. So again, why are we here? I really didn't want to bring Carly along with me, but all the other guys had their wives & fiance's; it would've looked odd had I shown up alone. Not too mention the fact that I knew for a fact that Laney was performing that night. I knew she was there somewhere I didn't want her to think I was still longing for her - even though I really was.

We found our seats & made ourselves comfortable; after all, we had no reason to get up at all throughout the night. "Hey Nick, you seen Laney yet tonight?" AJ asked. I gave him a look.

"Nope, and I really hope I don't." I lied. My head was screaming. I wanted to see her so fucking bad, but I knew her husband was probably in tow for the evening. The lights went down so I knew the show was about to begin.

I always found award shows to be so damn boring. I probably drifted off a few times because I swear Howie elbowed me at least 10 times. I was probably snoring. I really couldn't care less. That was until she was introduced. "And now performing her latest hit single "Little Miss", it's Alaina Davis." The curtain rose & there she stood in all her beautiful glory. Her long blond curls hanging loosely down her back. She looked absolutely gorgeous. I averted my eyes over to Carly for a second, how could I have ever thought she was a good replacement for what I used to have. She opened her mouth and began to sing the lyrics that only a couple months ago she had given to me. I didn't even know that the song had definitely been recorded for the album, let alone that she had decided to release it as the next single. As she sang the audience was just hearing the words, I, however knew that those words were much more than that. She was letting me know that she was still okay.

 

The rest of the awards show was all a blur, I just kept thinking of her. We went back to the hotel we were staying at & Carly finally passed out. I grabbed my phone. I didn't care anymore, I sent her a text.

The song was great. I'm glad you're okay.

I really wasn't expecting a response, so when my phone vibrated I jumped.

Thanks. I really am. :)

It was to the point. Maybe she really was happy with him. I was going to reply to her when she sent me another text.

I need to talk to you....in person. Meet me at the hotel restaurant in 20?

I didn't even know she was staying at the same hotel as I was. She wanted to see me? Why? And where was her husband? I laughed quietly to myself, probably the same place my date was - passed out in bed.

Of course. See you in a few.

I quickly changed into some different clothes & quietly made my way out of the room. I took the elevator down to the main floor & walked into the restaurant. I spotted her almost instantly sitting at a table in the back corner. I walked up to the table. "Hey you."

"Carter. Hi." She stood up & gave me a hug. I didn't want to let her go, but I did & we both took a seat.

"Where's your husband?" I asked her. So I was curious, that's not a crime.

"He didn't come with me this trip. He's back home in LA." She said nonchalantly.

I nodded. "So you wanted to talk to me?"

She smiled. "Yeah. I felt really bad about how you found out about the wedding...."

"It's in the past."

She nodded. "Well, I wanted to tell you something else before it hit the press. I can't exactly hide it much longer." I listened intently. "I'm having a baby, Carter."

Could this get any worse? This was only going to complicate things further. "A baby?"

She laughed. "Yeah. I'm pregnant, Carter. Micah & I are having a baby."

I know I should be happy for her. She had talked so many times about starting a family, I had only brushed her off, telling her I wasn't ready. For the first time I actually believed she was as happy as she said she was. There was a glint in her eye that hadn't been there when I saw her in July. "Uh...Congratulations..."

She must've noticed the sadness in my voice, she took my hand. "I guess I shouldn't have expected you to be overjoyed for me." She said sadly. "I finally have everything I've ever wanted, Carter. A husband who loves me unconditionally & now I'm going to be a mommy. You know how badly I've wanted those things."

I sighed. "Yeah, I know. Believe me, I know." We had fought so many times in our four year relationship, mainly the last year or so, because she wanted to get married & start a family & I just didn't. Looking back now I wish I had. Has anyone invented a time machine yet? "What do you want me to say?"

"Nothing really, I just wanted you to find out from me this time."

"Are you happy, Laney?"

"For the first time in my life I can honestly say that I am."

I looked away. "Then that's all that matters."

"Carter, please..." I let go of her hand. She reached across the table and put her hand on the side of my face turning my head so I was looking her in the eye.

"So in July when you told me that you still loved me...."

She looked down for a second. "I meant it, Carter. A piece of my heart is always going to be yours, but our ship has sailed. It's okay for you to move on too."

I sighed & stood up, as did she. "I don't want to move on, Laney. You were everything right in my world, now I'm just going through the motions. Part of me really hoped that you'd wake up one day & realize you still wanted to be with me. I was living day to day with that little piece of hope, but now you're pregnant. It kind of shatters that." I paused. "I know you'll be a great mom. I always thought that about you. Congratulations, Laney." I leaned down & kissed her cheek. I turned and walked out of the restaurant, careful not to look back. I had to move on.