- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry for the slight delay.  Work has been crazy! 

Laney's POV November 2010

"Thank you, Nashville, you've been an amazing audience tonight!" I exclaimed as I intro'd into the last song on the set list. My baby bump had decided to pop so I was glad the tour would be ending in Indianapolis is a couple of days. Then I'd have off until well after the baby was born, well off from touring that is. I'm sure I'd still be writing & recording, but that could be done from the comfort of my own home.

I walked into my dressing room after the show. I was drenched in sweat & all I wanted to do was grab a quick shower, get on my bus & pass out for the night. This pregnancy was seriously taking a toll on me & not only that, but it was beginning to take a toll on my marriage. Micah & I had began fighting a lot. Over stupid little things that really didn't matter. That's really the reason why for the past month he hasn't been out to visit me on the road. Hell, I had barely heard from him at all. I think he really was beginning to regret our hasty decision to get married. Honestly, I think if I weren't pregnant we would've been over before we even began. One night of carelessness resulted in our "shot gun wedding". I wasn't in love with him, but I wouldn't dream of telling anyone that though. Well, maybe one person....Carter.

Carter was my everything. That is until he threw it all away for a quick fuck. I've ran into him a couple times in the past few months. He looks amazing as ever. God how I've missed him. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that if I hadn't been "knocked up". I would've said screw my marriage. He hurt me, sure, but I still loved him with my whole heart. I saw him a couple months ago & told him about the baby. I'm pretty sure his world came crashing down. I just didn't want him hearing about the little bambino on some cable news show. I felt I owed him more than that. I still owed him the whole truth. I just had no idea when or if I would ever get the nerve to tell him.

I couldn't wait to be at home, preparing to meet the little one. Now matter what the future held I was going to be a mother. I grabbed my things from the dressing room & made my journey out to my bus. I walked out the large metal door & heard someone calling my name. "Laney!" I seriously thought my mind was playing tricks on me.

"Alex?" he jogges over to me. My security started to step in, but I put my hand up signaling them to stop. "It's okay, he's a friend." I turned back to him & game him a hug. "Alex, what in the world are you doing in Nashville?"

"Well, gee, it's great to see you too." He laughed.

I smiled. "It's always good to see you, just a huge surprise."

"Well, Nick still has his place here & we figured since you were here in town we'd catch a show. You were great, by the way."

"Aw, well thank you. Nick's here?"

"He was."

"Oh."

He reached into his back pocket & pulled out a square envelope. He handed it to me. I recognized Carter's chicken scratch handwriting immediately. "He wanted me to give you this."

"Uh, okay...what is it?"

Alex shrugged. "I'm guessing he's returning the favor and wrote you a song." I nodded. Of course he had written a song for me. After all he was probably still missing me & what we could have had. I know I was. Deep down I wished that I would've let him explain himself. Maybe if I hadn't of been so quick to walk away this baby i'm carrying would've been his & then my last name would've been "Carter". Who was I kidding? Marriage was never an option in his mind. To him marriage meant the end of a happy relationship - however, so did cheating. I hated myself for still loving him.

"Well, thanks for delivering it to me & thank you for coming out to the show. It really was great running into you, but I've gotta get on the road."

He pulled me in for another hug. "Be good, babygirl. I'll see you soon & make sure you keep an eye out for an invite to the wedding. I really want you to be there."

I pulled away. "I wouldn't miss it for the world." He gave me one last smile & turned to walk away. I climbed onto my bus and made myself comfortable.

I pulled the CD out of the envelope. I put the CD into my laptop, only to be surprised when a video started playing. It was Carter sitting in his home studio. "Laney, I think a part of me will always love you, but I'll do what you asked me to. This is for you." The music began to play & he started to sing.

I've dealt with my ghosts and I've faced all my demons
Finally content with a past I regret
I've found you find strength in your moments of weakness
For once I'm at peace with myself
I have been burdened with blame, trapped in the past for too long
I'm movin' on

I've lived in this place and I know all the faces
Each one is different but they're always the same
They mean me no harm but it's time that I face it
They'll never allow me to change
But I never dreamed home would end up where I don't belong
I'm movin' on

I'm movin' on
At last I can see life has been patiently waiting for me
And I know there's no guarantees, but I'm not alone
There comes a time in everyone's life
When all you can see are the years passing by
And I have made up my mind that those days are gone

I sold what I could and packed what I couldn't
Stopped to fill up on my way out of town
I've loved like I should but lived like I shouldn't
I had to lose everything to find out
Maybe forgiveness will find me somewhere down this road
I'm movin' on

I'm movin' on
I'm movin' on

Tears sprang to my eyes. In my head I knew I should've been happy he was taking my advice & putting the past behind him, but my heart clearly thought otherwise. Tonight I was just going to blame it on my hormones.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Lyrics "I'm Movin' On" -Rascal Flatts