- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Back with another chapter! Enjoy!
Chapter 23

Amanda felt safe and warm with his body next to her, snuggled under the blankets....until she woke up. It was late...she wasn't sure of the time but it was probably three or four in the morning. Nick lay next to her but she had somehow moved near him as she slept. She was practically kicking herself for letting him so close to her. Amanda knew how much she liked Nick....even loved him...but she would never betray Lance. There was one thing Amanda prided herself on and that was her morals when it came to relationships. She got up carefully so she did not disturb Nick's sleeping. He was curled up on the bed, his arm resting under his head, his blonde hair partially covering his face. It had grown a bit since he had been in Florida, but it wasn't too long. He looked so peaceful, a small grin spread across his face as he slept. Amanda crept towards the hallway where the bunks were and chose one, not liking the cramped space...but it would have to do. She couldn't trust herself with him sleeping in the same bed with the history they had. Nick never pressured her but his mere presence was intoxicating to her. It was like he cast a spell on her, all he had to do was look at her and she was done. She loved it but at the same time, Amanda hated herself for even considering being with Nick. His career was just taking off....there would be no place for her in his life once he became famous.

"Amanda?" he called some hours later. She lay still in her bed, ashamed that she had gotten out of his bed and did not say anything.

"Are you okay?" Nick asked as he moved towards the bunks.

"I'm fine, Nick. I don't think its a good idea for us to sleep in the same bed. I have a boyfriend." she replied finally. She rolled over to face him. Nick looked a little disheartened as he peered down at her.

"I understand." he said before walking away. Rehearsal ran a bit long that day and Amanda went to use the bathroom as Nick finished up.

"Is Amanda seeing anyone?" JC asked when Nick walked off the stage. Nick felt his blood boil at the question. In his mind he knew how much Amanda had liked JC growing up, how she had posters of him in her room as a teenager. He felt slightly threatened by JC....because Nick knew he was more talented and more handsome than him. He liked JC as a friend but knew his place. There was simply no catching up to his mentor.

"Well....I'm not sure." Nick lied. He wanted to say Amanda was his, but fell silent and looked at his feet. Nick could barely compete with Lance, how was he supposed to compete with a famous singer?

"Ah, you like her don't you?" JC observed with a sly grin.

"I....I guess."

"No need to be ashamed, I think she's perfect for you. You and her seem to get along really well."

"We do?"

"Sure. I can see it....you make her happy. She makes you happy too, I notice a difference when you're with her and when you're with me." JC pointed out.

"No offense, but you're not my type." Nick laughed, holding up his hands in front of him.

"I'm being serious, if you like her you should tell her. Waiting too long will only hurt your chances. Amanda is a beautiful lady, I'm sure lots of guys are dying to snatch her up." JC said with the air that he was one of them.

"That's what I'm afraid of....I am afraid she doesn't feel the same way, you know? She has history with me but she keeps choosing this guy back home."

"Does he treat her well?"

"No. He hates me....used to pick on me when we were kids. He's not good for her. I don't know what to do about any of this, JC. I think she likes me but she won't let me see that she does....she keeps pushing me away." Nick replied with a sigh as he ran his hand through his hair. He hated having feelings for someone that didn't know it....it killed him but he was afraid to tell Amanda. He knew he was good enough for her, but he was determined to prove himself worthy.



"SHE WHAT?" Lance shouted, jumping up from his seat on the couch. Joey looked at him timidly, cringing.

"She....well...Amanda is in Germany with Ni...with him." he explained. Lance's face flushed with anger, his green eyes narrowed.

"Son of a bitch. She fucking lied to me again. Amanda told me she was studying abroad this semester. How did you find out?" he demanded.

"I overheard her talking to AJ on the phone. She's touring with him and that Chasez guy. Someone paid for her to fly out there to be with him." Joey replied, picking at a hole in the couch cushions. Sure Nick had given him a place to live....and he was very kind to him...but Lance was his best friend. Joey harbored no ill feelings about Nick...he just felt that it was his job to let Lance know what was going on between him and Amanda.

"I can't believe this. After all I did to make sure he was as far away from her as humanly possible...she goes on fucking tour with the bastard. How can she do this to me?" Lance fumed, pacing the floors.

"I thought your uncle was taking care of the whole thing?" Joey asked. Lance practically growled at the thought of his uncle.....the person managing his enemy.

"Well if he thinks life on the road is so cozy...one phone call and it will be a living hell....I promise you that." Lance sneered.
"Nick's in love with her, Lance....you can't change that." Joey told him meekly.

"I can make sure he won't be able to go near her. Just wait until she comes back....I will take care of everything....don't you worry. Nick Carter will regret ever laying eyes on my girlfriend."