- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Back with a new update. Thanks for reading :)
Chapter 38



Nick had been on the road since Amanda's birthday.

"Honey, you okay? You look deep in thought." Tracy said as she walked up behind him, draping her arms around him. Nick sat on the tour bus, staring intently at the window with glossy eyes.

"Nah, I'm just tired. Thinking about some stuff though." he replied, kissing her cheek.

"Like what?" she asked as she sat down next to him.

"I miss being home. I mean, I love performing and seeing all my fans, but I don't really like touring. Wish I could perform but be home more too." Nick said.

"I'm sure something will come up." she replied. Nick looked out the window again, wondering how things were back home and how Amanda was doing with the nightclub.

"No....I asked for the bronze ones...okay, thank you." Amanda said as she got off the phone, walking into her partially furnished nightclub. She smiled at the ladders and paint trays lying around the floor....the smell of primer and new furniture in packing boxes. Things were slowly coming together and she couldn't have been more pleased. Amanda walked up to her office at the top of the stairs....her name on the door in gold letters. She smiled at it and went inside to sit at the desk, a large stack of papers waiting for her.

"Hey, how are you?" she said as her phone rang. Nick was on the other end, sounding tired but happy.

"I'm good. How's the club?"

"Doing fine. Just trying to sort everything out for the opening. Need to book a band, finish decorating, hire employees, train them....get supplies...it's a lot of work but I love it." Amanda gushed. She had spent every day arranging everything but was so pleased with how it was coming together with Nick's help. Nick had helped her financially and now she was on her own, even though sometimes she would call and ask for his opinions.

"I can't wait to see the place when it's done." Nick smiled into the phone before hanging up, feeling Tracy massaging his shoulders. He squirmed a bit, trying to let her know without words he didn't want to be touched.

"You've been avoiding me...what's going on?" she asked, her green eyes watchful as she brushed some hair out of her face.

"Nothing, honey. I am just tired. I think I will go lie down." Nick lied, getting up and walking towards the bunks. To be truthful, Nick had been acting somewhat cold towards his girlfriend since the tour started....feeling awkward with her around. He was starting to feel like he didn't belong with her after all.




Nick came to Amanda's house as soon as he was home about a month or two later. He was glad to be home, Nick didn't like living out of suitcases. After taking a much needed nap, he walked over to her house and rang the bell. Lance's car wasn't there, he was at work and Nick was glad for that.


"Hey, Nicky. I missed you. When did you get back?" Amanda asked, smiling at him. Nick felt his heart flutter and smiled back.

"I missed you too. I came home yesterday....tour was great. Wish you could have made it to a show." he said as she let him inside. Amanda had papers all over the coffee table, pictures of bands. Nick frowned....she was looking to hire live music for the club.

"You look busy, is this a bad time?" Nick asked, watching her sit down.

"No, not at all. I've been auditioning musicians all week...but none of them seem to fit. Opening night is coming and I have nobody to perform. Do you know anybody who can help?" Amanda said with a sigh. The auditions had been wearing her down, a lot of them were stuck up or demanded special treatment...some of the bands weren't very good either. She wished someone like Nick would come along.

"Sure....me." he said, chuckling...his hand rubbing behind his head.

"Nick, I can't ask you to do that. Aren't you busy?" Amanda protested.

"I'm never too busy to help you. I can perform opening night for you, no problem." Nick grinned.

"I need someone a bit more permanent though. What would I do after opening night? I need a live act. People like live music, I can't just have a DJ all the time." she pointed out. Nick nodded, she did make a good argument.

"You're absolutely right. Look....I'm tired of touring. I mean, I want to perform but I'd like to be more local so I can be near my friends. Tracy doesn't like road life much anyway. I could play at your club." he suggested.

"What about your management, Nick? I am sure they won't agree to letting you perform at some dinky little club." Amanda said.

"First of all, it won't be a dinky little club. Second....I will talk to them. Everything will work out, you'll see." he said with a wink, nudging her as she laughed.

"I can always count on you." she said, smiling at him.

"Of course. You're my best friend." he replied. Nick went to talk to management and they agreed to let Nick play at Amanda's club.


"This is gonna be so weird Nick. I mean....I will be your boss." Amanda said once he told her the news.

"Yeah you're right....but we will work through it. I know boundaries and all that." Nick said.

"I will draw up your contract and we can meet later this week to discuss your days off and everything else, okay?" Amanda replied, smiling. Nick walked away, feeling good about the whole situation....but deep down he wondered, could he work for someone he was in love with?