- Text Size +

Nick glanced down at his watch as he drove. He couldn't believe he was going to be late for his friend's viewing.

He had lost all track of time since the crazy dream he had about AJ and the terrible phone call he got from Brian.

Snow covered the ground and unlit Christmas lights hung on the houses he passed. It was a reminder that Christmas had just passed. Christmas would forever be a reminder of AJ's tragic death.

He wiped away the few tears that had fallen as AJ entered his mind.

He shook his head and focused on driving. He would be lucky if anyone was still their by the time he made it.

A few moments later he pulled into the parking lot of the funeral home. Only three cars remained in the parking lot.

He knew one of them to be AJ's mother's. He sighed as he shut the car off. It was a sigh mixed of relief, that he had made it, and sorrow, that he even had to be here.

Slowly he got out of the car and moved inside the building. He passed by a small office where two workers sat working. He looked at the names above the doors and saw the one that instantly froze his heart, Alexander McLean.

He took a deep breath and slowly walked in the parlor. At the front of the room was a black casket with bright red velveteen interior. He could see the body inside but not well enough to make out details.

"Oh Nick, I was afraid you weren't coming." Denies said walking toward him.

"Yeah, I'm sorry. The last few days have been a bit of a blur." He tried to explain as she hugged him.

He could tell she had been crying... a lot.

"They are getting ready to close for tonight. I'm gonna run to the bathroom and let you have a moment alone." She told him and moved passed him out of the room.

The smell of flowers filled the air. The room was filled with them. Every table and each empty space had a large bunch of flowers arranged in various patterns.

Nick slowly moved forward toward the casket. As he did AJ's face came into view.

It was obvious they had done a lot of work on him. His make up was thinker then Nick had ever seen it.

At first Nick forced back the tears but soon his strength diminished and they began to fall.

He slowly reached out and touched AJ hand. It was limp and ice cold to the touch. More tears fell from his eyes.

"God, I can't believe they put me in a suite. I hate suites." AJ's voice said from behind him.

Nick quickly turned and yelled as he came face to face with AJ.

He stumbled backward bumping into the casket and turned around to look in it. AJ's body still laid there.

Nick yelled again as he turned back around to look at AJ who was standing there, wearing the same clothes as the night of the party, holding a beer.

"What the fuck!" Nick yelled looking terrified.

"Can you stop yelling? It's really annoying." AJ said.

"No, no, I 've gotta be dreaming or or... something." He said closing his eyes and pinching his arm.

"You aren't dreaming." AJ said.

"Well, you sure as fuck can't be real!" Nick shouted.

"Knock that off would you?" AJ rolled his eyes.

"Me? You're the one standing in front of me and laying in this casket behind me all at the same time." Nick still looked scared.

"That's not me. It's just my body. My shell." AJ told him walking past through him and looking down at himself laying there.

"H- H- how in the hell did you do that?" Nick asked horrified.

"What? Walk through you?" He asked turning and looking at him.

Nick could only nod.

"Pretty cool huh? All ghost can do it. Here, check this out." He said and snapped his fingers.

When he did he suddenly disappeared.

Nick blinked his eyes and looked around him. As he turned he saw AJ sitting in a chair behind him.

Nick rubbed his eyes and blinked a little more.

"You aren't dreaming. I'm really a ghost." AJ said standing up and walking toward him.

"B- b-" Nick couldn't say it.

"I know. I didn't think ghost where real either. He told me I couldn't move on until I completed my task." AJ rolled his eyes.

"He? Task?" Nick asked still lost.

"Yeah, ya know, I'm not really sure who he was. Some really shiny dude sitting on a big plush chair thing. I think it might have been Michael Jackson." AJ explained.

Nick just scratched his head awkwardly.

"As for the task part... well, I have to warn you."

"Warn me?" Nick questioned.

Suddenly AJ disappeared.

Nick looked around the room confused.

"Nick? Are you ok sweetie?" Denies asked walking into the room.

"I uh... yeah, no, uh... do you believe in ghost?" Nick asked her.

"Oh Nicky, I think you're exhausted. I know I am. I swear I've been hearing AJ's voice all night. Why do you go home and rest? I'll see you at the service tomorrow." She smiled.

Nick blinked his eyes a few times and nodded, "Yeah, yeah, I... I'll see you tomorrow."