- Text Size +

Laney flipped through a magazine on the bus as she waited for the show to be over.  She hadn’t been feeling up to standing backstage and watching, she wanted to put her feet up and enjoy some time to herself.  She knew that if she stood for too long she’d start to feel dizzy; she’d been feeling dizzy lately and was starting to wonder.  It was a few days until she was supposed to get her period and she’d never felt dizzy as part of her PMS symptoms before.   


She looked up as the door to the bus opened and Brian climbed in. “It’s only been a couple of weeks, tired of the tour already?”


She shook her head.  “Howie creeps me out,” She shuddered. 


“Really?” Brian asked.


Laney smiled and shook her head.  “No, you know I love all the guys.  I just wanted to have some quiet time tonight.” She smiled at him.  


“I’m starving,” Brian announced.  He wasn’t typically hungry after a show but there were occasional times that he craved a burger and fries after the show.  “We are sending one of the crew to get some burgers before we leave, do you want anything?”


“The thought of food right now is actually making me feel sick.” She announced and looked at his face to read any reaction.  Just as she thought, he didn’t pick up what she was implying. 


He sat down on the couch next to her and wrapped his arms around her.


“Gross, you need to shower.” She shoved him off of her and scooted away.


“Aw, you don’t love me?”


Laney cocked her head to one side and smirked.  “Of course I love you; I just don’t want to smell like you.”


“Not what you were saying last night when I was all over you.” His voice dropped into a seductive whisper giving Laney chills.  


“Shower!” she demanded pointing to the bathroom on the bus. 


“I hate showering in these things,” Brian grumped as he did what his wife demanded.


It wasn’t long before Brian finished and interrupted Laney’s alone time.  Now completely clean he walked to his wife in nothing but his towel and pulled her towards the bed in the back of the bus.  He shut the door and dropped his towel.  “Now, would you like to have me all over you?”


Laney chuckled and put up a small struggle as Brian moved closer to her and started to remove her clothing.  “Brian stop, I don’t feel good.”  She said laughing.


“Are you getting sick?” Brian asked pulling away and moving a distance away from her.  She didn’t take offense to this action; she knew he could not afford to get sick while he was on the road.


“I don’t think you can catch it.  I just feel dizzy and slightly queasy.”


“The real reason for having alone time?” He asked raising his eyebrows.


Laney nodded and smiled. 


“Do you have a test?”


“No, I was hoping we could manage to get one.”


“I can send Jen out for one. I’m sure she wouldn’t mind picking up a test for us.  She is more likely to help us out, since having one of the other girlfriends or wives get one for us would send uproar over their possible pregnancies.” He chuckled slightly uncomfortable.  He didn’t want to have to go himself remembering the last time they were in the aisle with the tests. 


“That would be great.” She said moving towards the bed.  Maybe if she laid her head down she wouldn’t feel dizzy anymore, and if she didn’t feel dizzy maybe she wouldn’t feel queasy.  If this was how the entire pregnancy was going to go she was in for quite a time.


“Sweetie,” Brian was whispering to her.  “Jen brought one back, do you want to take it now?” Laney opened her eyes to a dark room. She must have fallen asleep, the bus was moving, and they must be on their way to the next venue.  


Laney sat up and took the box from her husband looking at it as if she could will one of the tests inside to be positive.  She always heard taking the test in the morning was the best time; more of the hormone was present in the urine in the morning.  She slid the directions out and scanned to see if she had to wait, she really didn’t want to wait. If she was pregnant she wanted to know immediately, and if she wasn’t she wanted to know why she was feeling these new symptoms.   She’d taken only one test before and didn’t want to do anything that might mess up the results.


She hated trying to go to the restroom while the bus was moving, one lurch and she could fall off the toilet completely.  She was willing to chance it this time though. 


“So?” Brian asked as she came out. 


“Gotta wait the three minutes.” She had left the stick on the counter and chose to come out and wait with Brian instead of staring at the stick willing the second pink line to show up. 


The couple sat and waited.  They turned on the television on the bus and hoped that the time would pass quickly.  Laney checked her watch continuously until finally she stood back up and went into the restroom.  


Brian looked at her as she walked out of the restroom, she couldn’t even return his look.  “I’m going to go lay down.” She said.


Brian followed her and laid down next to her.  “So it was a no?”


Laney nodded; Brian could see tears forming in her eyes.  “Babe, don’t stress about it. It will happen, God has a plan for us.” He smiled and brushed the hair back from her face.  They laid next to each other holding each other’s hands until sleep came over both of them.