- Text Size +

Brian was holding his breath as he waited on the other end of the phone.  Laney was taking a pregnancy test at home.  She had flown out to be with him for most of the three months she would be on the medication, but after the last fertile window closed, Laney decided she wanted to get home to finish the unpacking and organizing. He knew that her hope was that it would be done by the time he got home so he could just relax at home.  He secretly hoped there were still some boxes left for him to unpack, he really didn’t want her to do all the work and if she unpacked some of his stuff he’d never be able to find it.


Brian had tried to be strong for his wife while she was there with him but it was becoming difficult to be her rock when she crashed down when she tested negative or got her period.  He was secretly glad she was home, it was a horrible thought and he knew it but he needed a break.


“How have you been?” Brian asked trying to break the tension on the phone.


“Busy.  It seems like I’ve arranged and rearranged furniture and the kitchen nonstop since I’ve been back.” 


Brian wondered how much of that had been necessary and how much had been to keep herself busy.  He smiled at the thought of her moving the couches by herself which he knew she could do.  “How many times have you rearranged the kitchen?” he asked.  He knew Laney never knew how to have the kitchen organized until she actually had a chance to use it a few times.


“I am on my third time.” She laughed with him about it.   “I just can’t decide where I want the silverware and the Tupperware.  I had the silverware in the drawers on the island, I’ve had them next to the stove, I’ve had them next to the fridge. I just can’t figure out which is the best place for them.”


“Anywhere you put it will be fine, I am sure.” Brian said slightly distracted now as Howie had just climbed on his bus looking like he wanted to talk to him. 


“Says the man who never puts anything back in its proper place, ever.” Laney scolded him with laughter in her voice. 


“I would if you stopped rearranging the kitchen on a weekly basis.”


“Semi-yearly thank you very much.” They laughed together.  


“Has it been three minutes?” Laney asked him.  He hated to tell her that it had been he wanted to continue talking to his wife about her addiction to reorganizing everything he didn’t want to get a negative result and then have to pick up the pieces of his wife over the phone.


‘Think positive,’ he chastised himself.  ‘Maybe it will be positive.’  He thought.   “Yes it has,” He said aloud to his wife and heard as she put the phone down.  Brian resumed holding his breath as he waited for Laney to return to the phone with the results. 


“Brian?” She came back.


“Are you expecting someone else?” His laugh was uneasy.


“It’s positive.” Laney practically screeched into the phone.  Brian held the phone away from his ear for a few seconds as she continued to express her happiness.  Brian couldn’t stop beaming, he knew God had a plan and they would conceive when it was right.  They were getting settled into their dream house and he quickly did the math, he would be done touring before the baby was born and would be able to request some down time.  God definitely had a plan.  


Howie, who was sitting on the couch, gave him the thumbs up sign as congratulations. 


“I love you Laney,” Brian told his wife when he finally put the phone back to his ear.


“I love you too Brian,” She said.  Brian could just picture her beautiful face with tears of happiness rolling down her cheeks.  He wished he could be there with his wife to celebrate this time with her. 

Chapter End Notes:

I apologize for the shortness of the chapter but I wrote myself into a bind and wasn't quite sure where I wanted to go with this story... please be patient as I work out the direction this story is going to go.