- Text Size +

Brian sat in the extra chair provided in the doctor's office. He watched as his wife scooted down on the table and spread her legs for the ultrasound technician. He turned his eyes to the screen waiting for the image appear, he didn't want to watch as the tech inserted the camera.

“Let me know if you are uncomfortable,” he heard the tech say. He wanted to answer that he was a bit uncomfortable with his wife spread eagle in front of a stranger, but he kept his mouth shut, the tech was surely talking to Laney.

He watched as an image started to appear of the screen, the image was black and white, it moved into a empty space and continued to zoom.

“Okay, I'm just going to zoom in now,” the woman said. Brian watched as a dark shape became more clear. Even though it was clearer on the screen he still had no idea what he was looking at.

“That, there,” the woman used a mouse to drag a circle around the object. “that is the ovary, and all of those surrounding it are cysts.”

Brian squeezed his wife's hand as the tech moved the camera to focus on the other ovary.

“This one has the same situation.” the picture froze on the screen. Brian sat staring at it as the lights to the room came on. “You can go ahead and get dressed,” the woman directed Laney. “I am going to take these pictures to your doctor so she can give you some advice on treatments.”

The room was sullen after the ultrasound technician left the room. Brian watched as Laney got her underwear and pants back on. Even though all the tests came back negative, Laney had refused to believe that she would randomly skip a period when she'd never missed one before.

She'd visited the doctor and had a blood test done, waiting patiently for the results. When the doctor called and confirmed that she was not pregnant and that they detected a slightly higher amount of testosterone than normal for a female in her blood, they called her in to confirm their diagnoses.

They moved back to the examination room where they both sat in silence. Brian wanted to comfort his wife, but what was he supposed to say. He'd thought it was kind of cool the look her ovaries had in the images, even though he knew that was not how they were supposed to look and it was probably not something she wanted to discuss. Instead, he sat staring at the chart showing the female reproductive organs. When he realized what he was looking at her shuddered and turned to look towards Laney who was watching him.

“You look uncomfortable,” she commented. “I told you I could have come alone.”

“No, I wanted to be here to support you,” He smiled at her, she returned it weakly.

A knock came on the door and Laney answered, calling the doctor into the room. The woman said hello and smiled to both of them as she moved to take her seat on the rolling stool in the room.

“So the ultrasound confirmed what I believed to be true with the blood work. Laney you have PCOS, poly-cystic ovarian syndrome. As I explained before, it's not the end of the world when it comes to trying for children, it could only cause you to take more time to conceive.”

Brian took the information in, taking longer to conceive, that isn't so bad. It's not like she was being told she could never have kids.

The doctor continued, “There are a few things I can suggest at this time. You seem to be a fairly healthy weight, but it couldn't hurt to lose a few more pounds. Losing weight might not be the be all end all of solutions, but two common side effects the could develop from this condition are diabetes and heart conditions so it wouldn't hurt to move towards a healthier lifestyle.”

“It's something I've been meaning to do,” Laney spoke. Brian chuckled to himself internally. Laney was fond of her quick meals which tended to be meals that weren't necessarily the healthiest for you. He would look forward to her attempting to cook healthier meals, he couldn't see it lasting long no matter how hard she tried she just enjoyed some things too much to give up.

The doctor nodded, “We can also put you on Clomid.”

“We don't want fertility drugs, we don't want multiples.” Brian chimed in.

Again, the female doctor nodded, “Understandable, but the chances of multiples with Clomid is only slightly higher than your chances trying naturally. This drug affects your brain, not your ovaries. It 'tells' your brain to produce the progesterone needed for the ovary to release the egg.”

“What causes this?” Laney asked. “Could it be the birth control I've been on for the last two years?”

“We are not sure what causes PCOS but we are fairly confident it is not birth control. In fact, if you were not actively trying for children I would put you on birth control as a treatment.”

Laney looked at Brian and then back to the doctor. Before they made the appointment for the ultrasound to confirm the diagnosis, they were fairly sure what the doctor would be talking to them about and they had agreed to not use fertility drugs at this time.

“I think we will just give it a try naturally, at least for a little while longer. We've only been trying for a couple of months.” Laney answered.

“I know what it's like to want to conceive naturally, but don't discount the treatments as an option later.” The doctor asked them if they had any further questions and they shook their heads.

Brian drove them home, the car was quiet the entire time. “Laney, don't worry, I believe God will not turn his back on us and we will get pregnant soon.” Brian turned back to the road, hoping that his words were true.

Chapter End Notes:

Woke up today and my muse wanted to work on this story. I hope you enjoy, thanks for the reads and reviews so far.