- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This story is also on my website: http://in-my-mind.net

Author's Chapter Notes:

Hi all!  Hopefully everyone likes this story!!  Please review if you read!

Blackbird singing in the dead of night

Take these broken wings and learn to fly

All your life

You were only waiting for this moment to arise

"Black Bird" -The Beatles

 

 

 

1998

 

--Laurel--

 

 

Laurel Rose Elizabeth Grace Wales stood in front of The School for American Ballet, in New York City.  Things have sure changed for the 14 year old over the past 6 months.  This was a new beginning for the young royal, she needed to do this.  She thought back to what her mother, Diana, told her before she died.

 

"Laurel, you and Harry need to live your lives.  William has no freedom, he's being trained to be King, but you and your brother have the whole world in front of you."

 

After her mother passed away Laurel convinced her father, and grandmother to send her to America and to the School of American Ballet.  It took a lot of convincing because attending a school focusing on dancing is not "royal-like" according to her father.  Her grandmother didn't think it was appropriate for her 14 year old granddaughter to travel to a foreign country alone. Surprisingly, it was her brothers who convinced the elder members of her family that she should go.  Both William and Harry looked out for their little sister, they didn't want her to go through the media scrutiny they were going through.  Laurel was also taking her mothers death harder than William and her twin, Harry, so getting out of the country would be the easiest thing for her.

 

She looked back to the driver who was unloading all of her luggage, "Let me help you with that!"

 

"No, Miss, I can manage. We'll get someone to bring your things in and unpack your belongings as well," the driver replied.

 

"Really that is not necessary, I am quite capable of unpacking my belongings.  James, tell him!" Laurel turned to her bodyguard, looking for him to agree.

 

"Miss Laurel, it is chilly, I think it would be best if we go inside and get you all checked in.  You know you shouldn't be carrying those heavy bags to your suite."

 

Fed up Laurel walked over to the biggest piece of luggage and picked it up.  "James, I may be a princess, but here they don't know that." She started to walk into the building but turned around. "And, my mother raised me to be self sufficient, not like my father, so please do not treat me like I'm helpless." 

 

 

--Nick--

 

Nick was sitting in the dressing room at the Corel Center in Ottawa, Canada waiting for the show to start.  The 17 year old needed a break, he had spent way to much time with the guys lately and was getting more and more irritable as the days went on.

 

"Nicky, what's wrong with you?" Howie tried to start conversation.

 

"Nothing," Nick spat.

 

"Have you talked to Madison lately?" Howie asked referring to Nick's girlfriend who lived in Orlando.

 

"What do you think? I've been with you everyday for the past 5 months."

 

"Ok..." Howie got up, "Well don't sit in her too long."

 

It was obvious to everyone on the tour that Nick was upset about something.  The problem was that Nick would keep his emotions in until he finally exploded.  All they could do is wait.