- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm trying to update quickly, I don't want to sacrifice quality though.
I felt the hard smack of a hand across my cheek, and I woke up abruptly. I knew immediately that Adelia had made it home.

“What the hell woman!” Okay, not the best response, but that friggin hurt.

“Don’t even deny that you don’t deserve that and even more. What the hell are you doing here? Just decided to waltz back in did you? Did you think I wouldn’t remember missing you for 5 years? Really, are you that dumb?”

“Whoa, Delia. I can explain, just let me sit up. I promise I’ll explain.” She was perched across his mid drift ready to whack me one again. She looked older and hotter, but now, with her really pissed at me was not the time to notice. I slipped up the bed and she sat on my legs making it impossible for me to run. Not that I would.

“Go, you have an explanation and I wanna hear it.” She was a pretty girl, she always had been. It was difficult to not check her out. She was far younger than me but the difference seemed less now she was older.

“Well, it’s not a great one, but lets start with, I’m an ass. I got completely caught up in my own selfish life and didn’t bother with anyone that meant anything. I was so involved in my music, my health, and Lauren that I just blacked out everyone else. I realize I am stupid for being that way, but I did and I’m sorry. You don’t have to forgive me but I came home because I had nowhere else I wanted to be. My life is shit, I have no one and I realized my mistakes. So go on and hate me, I know you want to. I know I hurt you, I’m just really mind numbingly sorry. You’re the last person I have ever wanted to hurt babygirl and I know I don’t deserver for you to forgive me.” I took a deep breath and hoped for the best. I knew that there was not much sense in saying anything else. I had said almost everything in one breath. It was all her from here on in.

To my complete and utter surprise, she sat up, laid her head on my chest and hugged me. I didn’t really know what to do; I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. I put my hands gently on her back and let myself breathe her in. She smelled, wonderful, comforting, like I had expected her to.

“I just wanted you to suffer a little, mom already told me what went on. I’m not gonna get over this easily, but I missed you. I’ve always cared about you and we always promised that we would be there for each other unconditionally. I’m happy you came back; it’s just hard to see you and not think of how lonely I was. I missed you, a lot.”

“God, I’m such an ass, I missed you so much. I always thought about calling but I just didn’t know what to say.”

“It’s okay, I might get mad once in a while, it might take a bit for me to get used to you being here, but I will.”

Today, I have cried more than I ever wanted to. I couldn’t help it, and who the fuck cares, so it’s not manly to cry. My life was shit, I missed my family, I missed my girl and she forgave me and was currently burying her head in my chest. Life was shit, but it was better then it had been in a long time. So I cried, I let it out, got it over with and buried my nose in her hair, just taking her in. At that moment, my universe was working on realigning.

I’m not sure how long we lay like that, but the next thing I knew we were getting called for dinner. I felt like a little kid again.

“Race ya?” I knew this wouldn’t end well. She took off, jumped off me, ran around the corner, I chased her, and BAM! Right smack on to the floor we went. Laminate floors and socks, didn’t really go well.

“Good to know neither of you grew up. If you’re hurt, suck it up and get to the table.” I had to laugh at that. I picked myself up and then offered a hand to Delia.

“You know, we were better at that when we were kids.”

“Yea, the old house had way more carpet though.”

“I vote, we’re too old for that crap.”

“Hmm, you are mistaken, one, you are too old for that crap and two, you’re never too old to act like a kid. It’s fun.”

“ I don’t appreciate the too old comment. I’m only 30, but I guess I could agree to the fun part.”

“Well, I’m not even 25 so, I win.”

“Well, with age I get wiser, so there.”

“Nick, honey, you’ve been gone a long time, but uh, you’re still never wiser.” Gotta love mom for stepping in and crushing my win. I never get to win in a house of women.

“I suppose you’re right, but man I gotta get something out of getting older.”

“Don’t worry Nicky, you do. Erectile dysfunction. It’ll be okay though, they have really progressed with treatment.”

“Wtf? I demand that you know, there is nothing wrong with my erectile abilities. And there ain’t ever gonna be.”

“Children, dinner, talks about penises can continue later.”

“Mom, you ruin all the fun. I was gonna make him cry again.”

“Adelia, be nice. For once, he has had a rough enough day and he still has to put up with you.”

“See, mom’s on my side.”

“That’s only because you cried.” I was never going to live anything down.

“I hate you.” I obviously didn’t but that ended the conversation and we ate in peace. A real home cooked meal was phenomenal. It wasn’t exactly healthy, but it tasted so friggin good. We all chatted and watched television until it was time for Adelia to head home. I hugged her good night and crashed on mom’s couch. It wasn’t the swanky beds I was used to, but it was definitely home.