- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I don't usually get two chapters in a day done, enjoy!
The smell of coffee might be one of the best joys in the morning. I stretched myself out and rolled over, falling off the couch. This is something that had happened a couple times in the middle of the night and then the dogs had come running, to see if I was okay.

“Nickolas, how many times have you done that already?”

“This is the first time, I just forgot where I was.” A little white lie wouldn’t kill me. Also, I didn’t really need any more ammunition used against me.

“So that wasn’t you hitting the floor and making the dog use my bed as a trampoline?” I hate how I always get busted in this family. I absolutely can’t get away with anything.

“It was me, guess I’m not used to sleeping on a couch.”

“I get that, I wish I had a bed for you. You could always stay with Adel.” I really really did like that idea, but I didn’t want to push my luck. She was working on forgiving me and I didn’t want to be the ass to push.

“It’s really okay, I can always go get a hotel room, it was just so late last night.”

“I honestly don’t think you will find Adelia making you stay in a hotel. You have to give her time though. There is a lot you don’t know about her anymore.”

“ I know I don’t, I don’t even know what she is doing in school, where she works, what she likes. There is so much to catch up on.”

“There’s other stuff too Nick, bad stuff. I think she should tell you, but I don’t think she will.”

“Will you tell me?”

“I want to Nick, I really do. I just don’t know if it is my place.”

“Mom, what if I promise not to tell her.” I was scared to think that bad things had happened to her and curiosity had the best of me. I knew I wouldn’t tell her, not until she brought up. I just didn’t want to say or do the wrong thing, I’d screwed up enough.

“I will tell you the basics, if she wants to tell you details, that is her choice.”

“Fair enough, I don’t even plan on bringing it up. I just wanna know.”

“Well, you know she was in college, she was leaving last time you were here. “
“Yea. It was a big issue because the boyfriend of the time was not well liked.”

“Yea, well, we were right, he was a dick.” My heart sank, I figured what was coming. I didn’t like him then, I knew something bad was gonna happen. I knew guys like him, hell at some points, I was one.

“Okay…”

“He abused her Nick, he hit her, he constantly put her down, he made her cry. She had to move out in the middle of the night because she knew he would hurt her.”

“Oh my God mom, why didn’t anyone tell me? I knew he was bad news, but fuck.”

“How were we gonna get a hold of you Nick, email? Phone call? Ooh a text would have been good. You weren’t here. “

“Fuck, I feel even worse now.” I couldn’t believe it, I thought he was a dick, but I thought he would use her, not abuse her. I would have stopped it when I could. I can’t believe all this happened without me knowing. Mom was right though, I made my choice. I wasn’t there. How could I have helped her, I couldn’t even help myself. Still though, she’s my girl. I promised I would protect her forever.

“There is one more thing you should know. It might not be rational, but she partly blames you for it. She said that you always promised you would be there and you would protect her. She was always wishing that you would come in the night and whisk her away. I don’t think she has ever given that up. She is happy you’re here now, but there is definitely going to be some stuff to work through.”

“Great, I blame myself and she blames me. God I am a fucking asshole. I always promised I would be there; I would save her from anything. I failed, I fucking fail at everything. Why do I even bother living, all I fucking do is hurt people.”

“Nickolas, now you smarten the fuck up, you know why you are here and you do not fail at everything. Nothing comes easily Nickolas but the best things are worth fighting for. I can promise you that, I have not fought to be here for you guys, for you to spew bullshit. Now you need to buck up and be the man she needs. Self loathing be damned, you’re here now, make the best of it.”

Mom was always right. I suppose I couldn’t change the past, I can only make the change now. I would be there for her now. Anything she needed me to be. I might have come home for me, but I had to be here for her. I wouldn’t tell her that I knew, I would just buck up, like mom said, and be the man she needed. In every possible way, after all I love her.

“Alright mom, you win. I came for me, but it’s about so much more.”

“Good, now drink your coffee, I’ll make breakfast and we are off to do some shopping.”

We did just that. We did groceries so that we could make Adelia dinner after class. I also went to the mall and bought a few things for winter, I figure I will probably be here longer then planned. I also bought Delia a few things, she would kill me but I missed Christmas, so I get to spoil her a little. Mom and I grabbed hot chocolate, headed home and made dinner. I have to admit that it was really nice to be out in public without paparazzi, or even anyone noticing me. Just a day out with my family.