- Text Size +

Chapter 6

I woke up the next morning with a huge smile on my face. The night before had been something out of a romance novel. Had it really happened? Had we kissed? It hadn't been planned, it was just like a spark was ignited between us. I couldn't control myself. I climbed out of bed & made my way to the bathroom to get ready for my day. I had a few meetings to get to. I looked at myself in the mirror & smiled. My lips were still swollen & puffy from last nights events. I couldn't stop thinking about it...or about him for that matter. Still I knew I had to get on with my day & maybe, if I were lucky I'd see him again tonight.

***
"Someone is certainly in a good mood today," Ellie pointed out when I walked into the studio this morning. I just smiled and nodded.

"I guess you could say that." I told her. "Is Rick in yet? I need to go over some things with him & the song I'm recording next week."

She shook her head. "No, he's not here yet. I am expecting him at anytime though because he has one last session set up with the Backstreet Boys in just about an hour."

I smiled. He was going to be there. Could this day get any better? "Oh really? That's great. I'll just wait in his office if you don't mind. I have a few phone calls to make anyway."

She nodded. "That's fine. I'll let him know you're here as soon as he gets in."

I thanked her & made my way down the hallway to Rick's office. I took a seat in one of the chairs he had strategically placed throughout the room & pulled out my cell phone to call my Mom. I hadn't talked to her in a few days & I'm sure she'd love to hear the latest gossip. She picked up after only 2 rings. "Sara Marie! I've missed you, sweetheart! How is the big city treating you?"

I laughed. "Hey Mom. It's treating me good. You're not that far away, ya know? You could come for a visit anytime."

I could tell she was nodding her head as if I could see her. It was a trait that I'd inheritated from her. "I know, babygirl. I just can't leave your brothers & sisters here alone, they're liable to kill one another." I had 4 younger siblings, 2 brothers, 2 sisters. The youngest being only 6 years old; she wasn't planned at all, but she was never looked at as a 'accident', more of a blessing.

"That's certainly true."

"So why have you called, honey? I know it's not just to sweet talk your Momma, even though I love it when you call."

I smiled to myself. "I actually decided to record a single & I'm hoping to get it released to radio."

"Really? That's great, sweetheart! What's the song?"

"Well, I just wrote it over this past week. It's a love song..."

"Of course it is...." she interrupted. "Always singing those love songs when you should be out living 'em."

"Momma, really...You know I've been too busy to think of dating."

"I know, I know. So how does the song go?"

"Well, it's actually a duet...I'm singing it with this guy I just met a few days ago."

That grabbed her attention. "A guy you say? And just what may I ask is this guy's name?"

I smiled to myself. "Nick, his name is Nick. He's so amazing, Momma."

"I think there's a little more to this than just a duet, isn't there, Sara?" She asked. She knew me too well. That & I am pretty sure I was still gushing from last night.

"Honestly...I'm not really sure yet. I wouldn't be opposed to the idea though." I told her. "I'm just anxious to see where things go."

"Well, honey, I'm happy for you, just take things slow. No sense in jumping into something & messing up a good thing." I smiled at her choice of words. I'd decided to call our duet 'When You've Got A Good Thing'. It suddenly seemed very appropriate. At that moment I heard the door to Rick's office opening.

"I have to go, Mom, Rick just walked in."

"Alright, sweetheart. I'll talk to you again soon." We said our goodbyes & hung up the phone. I stood up & turned around to greet Rick, but was shocked to see Nick standing there.

"Nick? Hi. What are you doing in here?"

He smiled. "I was looking for Mr. Martis actually."

I looked at the clock on the wall. "Aren't you a little early for your session with the group? He's not in yet, I was just waiting for him too actually."

He looked nervous. "Yeah, I'm a little early."

"Early is always good." You could almost cut the tension in the room with a knife. I took a seat again & watched as he slightly paced back & forth. "Are you okay?"

"Do you think we should talk about last night?" He asked.

I looked down at my hands that were in my lap. "I suppose we should."

"Do you want to go first?" He took a seat in the other chair.

I looked over at him. "I think that maybe we should talk about this later. Rick will be here at any moment." He nodded & stood back up.

"I'm going to go wait outside for the rest of the guys. I'll, uhm, call you when we're done here?" He asked me, as if I wouldn't be okay with him calling.

"Of course. I look forward to your call, Nick."

****

(Nick's Point Of View)

I hadn't really planned on seeing her at the studio today. I guess she had some kind of meeting set up with Mr. Martis. Don't get me wrong, I loved seeing her there, but I wasn't exactly prepared after the kiss we'd shared the night before. I honestly didn't know what had come over me. I suppose it could of been the spirit of the song, the fact that I was alone in a room with one of the most beautiful women I'd ever met, or the fact that I was going through a horrific break up that I just wanted to forget. Or maybe it was all of the above. I knew that she & I were going to have to have a talk about what was going on between us & soon. I was going to have to tell her the truth about my ex, not to mention the real reason I'd moved out of the city & into the 'burbs of Nashville. I just didn't want to mess this up. I also didn't want people to think I was pursuing this as rebound because I promise that isn't the case.

***

Our session at the studio went great that day, aside from the fact that my mind had been elsewhere. We'd managed to complete the last of the songs we'd planned to record there. I got into my car & pulled out my cell phone to call Sara as I left the studio. I heard her beautiful voice after only two rings. "Hello again."

"Hey Sara. I'm heading your way now, are you home?" I asked her. She seemed slightly distracted, but I didn't really think anything of it.

"Huh? Oh yeah, I'm home, just doing a little bit of work. Are you stopping by?"

"I was planning on it. I think we should probably talk about what happened."

"Sure. I think we should too. I'll see you when you get here. Bye!" She hung up. I just hoped that once I told her everything she'd still be interested. I just had a feeling that I couldn't let this go....whatever this was.