- Text Size +

So denied, so I lied
Are you the now or never kind?
In a day and a day love
I'm gonna be gone for good again

Are you willing to be had? 
Are you cool with just tonight?
Here's a toast to all those who hear me all too well

 

            Graduation couldn’t come any sooner for Eve. Neither her mother nor John had showed up. Part of felt relieved that neither of them showed up so the school wouldn’t have to know what kind of family she had. The other part felt sad that no one was there to congratulate her on her achievements. It wasn’t everyday that a 15 year old graduated from High School! When the principal called her name she stood up slowly walking across the stage, her purple gown flowing against the summer’s breeze. She imagined her real father in the audience. Cheering her on, camera in hand, filled with pride. Eve accepted her diploma and posed for a picture with the principal.

 

Here's to the nights we felt alive
Here's to the tears you knew you'd cry
Here's to goodbye tomorrow's gonna come too soon

 

            Once the ceremony was over everyone had fled to find their friends and family. Eve wandered through the crowds of people. Time seemed to slow down of mothers hugging their daughters, father’s high-fiving their sons. Suddenly a hand grasped her shoulder, she tensed up, ‘No…’ she thought. Turning around slowly she was met with the smile of her classmate Anne.

 

“Congrats! Aren’t you so excited?” Anne squealed enveloping her into a hug.

She returned the gesture, “Yeah, I’m finally free.”

“Now it’s time to cease the day and live it up!”

“I guess”

“What school did you get accepted into?”

“School?” Eve replied puzzled, she hadn’t thought about school. “I’m…I’m taking a year off…”

“Oh, that’s cool. Well you’re smart as hell and younger than the rest of us so you definitely have all the time in the world.”

“Yeah”

“Well it’s was great seeing you one more time. Remember cease the day!” Anne shouted before disappearing into the crowd.

 

~------~

 

            Tonight was now or never. No one had been home, which she had been so thankful for. The day found out about Brian Littrell she felt her life was soon going to change. But what if he didn’t want her? What if her mother had been right all along? She couldn’t process the negativity. Anything had been better than where she was now. Eve had finished packing up all of her belongings in her suitcase. She had taken all the money she had been saving for so long and opened an account with it. She turned off the lights in her room and headed out the door.

 

“No more cooking dinners, no more cleaning up behind anyone,” she said, “You hear that! I’M FUCKING FREE!” she screamed.

 

            Just as she was about to leave the house she caught a glimpse of a picture on the wall. It had been taken when Eve was only a few months old. Her mother, a then young teenager with big hair that should have stayed in the 80s and her, a bright eyed infant. She grabbed the picture off the wall and tossed it in her bag before leaving the house. Walking down the dirt path road she turned around for a last glimpse before disappearing into the night.

 

~-----~

Put your name on the line along with place and time
Wanna stay not to go I wanna ditch the logical
Here's a toast to all those who hear me all too well

 

            The greyhound bus station had been filled with many people. She glanced around looking at the bus schedules. Quickly she walked over to the information desk to purchase her ticket.

 

“Where to?” the clerk asked.

“Lexington Kentucky,” she said nervously.

“Is that one way or round trip?”

 

            She paused for a moment starring at the clerk. She took a look at her surroundings. Nothing about this town held any good memories for her. The people were plain, everyone knew everyone and no one ever left. This was her chance, her chance to break free from everything. To leave the past behind and hope tomorrow brings a better day.

 

“Miss?” the clerk called.

She turned around, “Sorry, one way”

“Ok, one way ticket to Lexington Kentucky. Here you go, gate 24. Your bus leaves in twenty minutes!”

 

All my time is froze in motion 
Can't I stay an hour or two or more
Don't let me let you go
Here's a toast to all those who hear me all too well

 

            Eve grabbed her ticket and dashed off to find her correct bus. She prayed that she’d find the right one and not end up on one heading to a big city. Finally she found gate 24 and stood in line with the rest of the travelers. She waited patiently as the bus driver clipped her ticket. The sound of the puncher emphasized a part of her old life being punched out. She handed her suitcase to him and stepped on the bus. It hadn’t been completely full yet. She noticed the backseat being completely vacant. Placing her bag in the overhead compartment she said down and rested her head against the window. She wondered if her mother and John had noticed she had left. Maybe they thought she had decided to go to a graduation party and was hung-over somewhere. Maybe they didn’t even care and were glad that she took it upon herself to leave instead of being forced out. It’s not like she had bothered to leave a note.

 

Here's to the nights we felt alive
Here's to the tears you knew you'd cry
Here's to goodbye 
Tomorrow's gonna come too soon