- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry for the delay, school and work has been piling up on me. Thank god finals are over :/

 

Chapter 3
 

            The sound of laughter echoed throughout the trailer. Eve had just woken up and quietly crept into the hallway. Her mother had been laughing to herself sitting at the kitchen table. She walked into the kitchen to get herself a glass of water.

 

“Baby girl…” her mother called sweetly.

 

            Eve stood by fridge starring at her mother shyly. Her eyes grew big as Joyce pulled a needle out of her purse. She giggled to herself as she heated up a spoon of powder. Eve slowly sipped her water as she mother placed the needle in her arm. Joyce threw her head back smiling, slowly turning it to focus her attention on Eve. Nervous, Eve started to walk away but her mother grabbed her arm. She struggled as Joyce pulled her closer.

 

“Mama… no…” Eve whined.

“It’s ok, Mama’s not going to hurt you. It’s going to feel good.”

“No…no…no…”

 

            Without warning Joyce injected Eve in her arm. Eve jerked quickly dragging the needle against her arm. She started to cry as blood started to run down her arm. Everything around her started to make her feel dizzy.

 

*--------*

 

            Eve shot up in her seat panting, sweat dripping from her forehead. She looked around and realized she was still on the bus. Suddenly she quickly got up from her seat and made her way to the bathroom. She was thankful that she had been sitting in the back close to it. Dropping to her knees she violently threw up in the toilet. Tears welled up in her eyes as she tried to keep her hair back. Once she was finished she stood up to look at herself in the mirror. Her appearance was rather gaunt, making her look way older than 16. She rinsed her mouth out and returned to her seat. Pressing her head against the glass she watched the scenery pass by. She hated when nightmares made her sick to her stomach. Though her nightmares had once been a reality, she often wondered if they’d ever become a memory.

 

“Are you ok miss?” a passenger whispered to her.

“I’m fine, thank you,” Eve replied.

 

            She sat down in her seat again and pulled her legs up against her chest. It had already started to turn dark outside as the bus pulled into the station. Kentucky looked almost like her own small town. The trees probably outnumbered the amount of people in the county. Grabbing her bag she got off the bus and waited for her luggage to be handed to her. She felt anxious standing there looking at her surroundings. She hadn’t a clue to where to continue the rest of her journey. Eve clutched her suitcase tightly in her hand as she started to head towards the main building of the bus depot. She found an empty seat inside so she could collect her thoughts. Shuffling around in her bag she pulled out a piece of paper that was the key to her journey. She clutched the paper studying over the contents on it. This paper was the only thing keeping her from meeting her father. “I made it this far,” she said allowed as she tucked the paper back into her bag. It was now or never and there was no turning back. Getting up she walked towards the main exit saw a cab waiting. She quickly walked over and leaned down towards the driver’s window.

 

“Where to Miss?” he asked with a thick country accent.

“Um… 4396 Winchester Road,” she stuttered.

He got out the car and grabbed her bags, “First time in Kentucky?”

“Yeah… visiting family,” she said before sitting inside the car.

“Well, enjoy the ride and the view!”

“It’s really beautiful here, looks a lot better than my town.”

“Is that so? Well I supposed the best of both worlds is to step outside yours and see another.”

 

            Eve had been distracted by their conversation to even notice how quickly they had gotten to the address. All she could see was trees and a few animals. The car came to a halt, causing her heart to race.

 

“We’re here,” the driver said.

 

            She thanked him and paid her fare. He drove off leaving here to stand in front of a dirt road. She squinted to see how far she had to walk but it was impossible. Crossing her fingers she started to travel down the path. The clouds in the sky had started to get dark very quickly. It was to her unfortunate luck that it started to rain. Frustrated she tried to quick walk down the road. ‘Why would anyone want to live so far from a main road?’ she thought. She hadn’t seen a single house, just trees and grass. Up ahead a wood and brick house was in the clearing. By now she had been drenched and was starting to shiver. Climbing up the small steps in front of the house she stood on the porch looking nervous and tired. She tried to dry herself off by patting her clothes down. Suddenly the front door opened, causing her to jump and turn around.

 

“Are you ok?” an elderly woman asked.

Eve ran her fingers through her wet hair, “I’m… I’m…”

The woman noticed her bags, “My word, you are soaked to the bone. Come in and dry off until the storm is over!”

 “Thank you,” she replied smiling weakly.

 

            Eve grabbed her things and strolled into the house. She stood star struck at the décor of the home. Being polite she took off her muddy wet shoes and left them at the door. The woman disappeared and then reappeared with a towel in her hand, handing it to her to dry off.

 

“There, now you’ll be a little dryer.” The woman said.

“Thank you ma’am…”

“I’m sorry, I’m so rude. My name is Jackie. What is your name dear?”

“Evelyn… but you can call me Eve.”

“Eve, like Adam and Eve?”

“Yes, my mother told me my father was religious so she gave me the name Eve.”

“I’m sorry about your father…” Jackie said quietly.

Eve smiled, “Oh, he’s not dead… or at least I hope he isn’t. I don’t know where he is.”

“Shame, men running out on their families. Do you like tea?”

“I love tea.”

“Good, because I had just put on a pot when I heard noises on my porch.”

 

            She followed the woman into her large kitchen. It had dark stained wood cabinets and furniture. It almost looked like a picture out of a Pottery Barn magazine. Eve took a seat at the table looking around. Jackie was a shorter woman, bubbly and seemed very cheerful. Glancing over she noticed a picture hanging on the wall. It was two younger boys. She had figured it was an older picture, given the clothing style being worn in it.

 

“So what brings you to my house? It’s hard to say you ended up here accidentally since I live nearly a mile from a main road,” Jackie asked handing her a cup of hot tea.

Eve took a sip and licked her lips, “I…um… well it’s a funny story.”

“Oh?” Jackie said before taking a sip, “Are you a fan dear? Don’t be ashamed, it’s not that unusual that I get a visitor or two of my son every now and then.”

”A fan?” Eve blurted.

Jackie raised an eyebrow, “I take it you’re not a fan then if you have no idea what I’m talking about,” she turned around in her seat, “There are my two boys. Very bright men they grew up to be. My oldest is Harold, he lives nearby. The other is my little duck, Brian.”

Eve nearly dropped her cup, accidentally spilling it,” Oh no! I’m so sorry!”

 

            Jackie got up to retrieve a dishrag. She gently wiped the table, “No harm done, it’s just liquid.” She said. Eve felt her cheeks flush with embarrassment as she sipped the rest of the remaining liquid from her cup.

 

“You seem very nervous. Are you in some sort of trouble?” Jackie asked sympathetically.

“No… I just graduated from high school.”

“Really! That is fabulous, you look so much older. I would have sworn you were a college student.”

“Actually ma’am I’m only 16. I graduated with honors, ahead of my time.”

“That is wonderful, I hope you get very far in life.” Suddenly the phone rang, “Can you excuse me I need to get that.”

 

            Eve nodded as Jackie walked over to retrieve the ringing phone. As soon as she answered her voice became more cheerful. “I really can’t talk right now I have a guest,” she apologized to whoever was on the other end. Hanging up she walked over with a beaming smile on her face.

 

“That was my duck calling to check up on me. You see he doesn’t live in this state anymore and we only see each other for the holidays or special occasions.”

Eve felt her heart sink, “Oh… “

“Do you have any family nearby?”

“I thought I did…”

Jackie looked at Eve with worry in her eyes, “Well then what brought you all the way out here?”

“I’m looking for my father.”

“The one you don’t know?”

“Yes… and I think you can help me.”

“How can I help? I know a lot of people around here.”

“His name is Brian… Brian Littrell…”

Jackie gasped losing grip on her cup, “What?”

Eve’s eyes immediately turned to the floor, “Um… I know it sounds weird but I found his name on my birth certificate and I did a bit of research. It led me here, which is why I am here, because I was hoping to meet him.”

“My son is already a father to a little boy.”

“He’s married?” Eve asked with sadness in her voice.

“Yes… he’s a very important married man.” She replied sternly.

“If you think I came for some sort of handout I didn’t,” she said tearing up, “I just want to know who he is. Why he left us and never attempted to contact me.”

“That doesn’t sound like my son at all. This whole situation doesn’t sound like him.”

 

            Eve glanced up with tears filling her blue eyes. She was fighting as hard as she could to not let them spill down her cheeks. Jackie starred into her eyes, the same blue eyes she used to look into when her son was little. No matter what tragedy they had seen they always seemed to sparkle with hope.

 

“Oh my word…” Jackie whispered.


 [M1]Chapter 3