- Text Size +

 

Chapter 5
 

            What turned into a one night stay ended up a month long adventure. Eve had gotten used to the Littrell’s and their hospitality towards her. Jackie had broken down to Harold about why Eve was really staying with them. At first he was a little cold to the idea but then warmed over. Seeing as they didn’t have any daughters they made her feel at home. It was a very hot Kentucky morning when Eve had crept out of her room. The house was very quiet for a Saturday. She peaked out back and noticed Jackie in her sun hat tending to her garden. She poured a glass of lemonade and stepped outside in the hot sun.

 

“It’s a little too hot out here to be gardening isn’t it?” Eve asked.

Jackie smiled at her, “A little but the weather is perfect and my Peonies will grow beautifully in it.”

“I see, here,” she said offering the glass to her.

“Thank you dear. Sit, you can help me plant.”

 

            Eve sat cross legged on the floor raking the soil. All of sudden she started to cough uncontrollably. Jackie immediately dropped her shovel and started to rub her back.

 

“Are you ok? Do you need medicine?” she asked.

“No… I’m fine. It’s just a cough. I keep getting them on and off all the time.”

“It’s probably allergy related. Go back inside the house and cool off for a bit.”

“That’s ok… you mind if I ask you something?”

“Sure”

“When do I get to meet Brian?”

Silence fell between them, “I don’t know dear…”

“You don’t know or you don’t want to tell me?”

“A little bit of both.”

Eve sighed, “Then why keep me here?”

“To get to know you. You are still part of this family.”

“I understand that but I want to meet my father.”

“In time, but right now isn’t a good one. Can you help me up?”

 

            Pushing her feelings aside Eve helped Jackie off the ground. They walked back quietly inside the house. Sadness had started to overcome her when she got inside. She couldn’t understand why they couldn’t meet now. Even if it was just for a minute, she wanted to know that she existed to him. She noticed Jackie shuffling through her purse.

 

“Going out?” she asked.

“Yes I have to make a run to the store real quick. I will be back in a flash!” she chimed.

 

            Once she was sure Jackie had gotten down the road she dashed off to the Littrell’s bedroom. Desperately she searched around something, anything that could give her information about Brian. Successfully she found a letter that had been sent out months ago from Atlanta, Georgia. She remembered Jackie saying that’s where he lived now with his new family. Finding a pen and paper she quickly jotted down his information. It was a little hard to look things but in the house. With Harold and Jackie’s age they didn’t feel the need to use computers. Excitement started to fill her as she put everything back in place and left the room.

 

*-------*

 

            Later that night everyone had sat around the table eating the food that both she and Jackie had prepared. She had to admit she absolutely loved the wholesome family setting. It was a big change from her dysfunction home life she had led.

 

“So anything new today?” Harold asked.

“No, I looked at some colleges today,” Eve said.

“Oh?” Jackie chimed, “You didn’t tell me!”

“Well I wasn’t sure at first but now I think I’d like to start taking some tours.”

“Where are you looking into?” Harold asked setting his fork down.

“University of Florida and MIT to name a few.”

“Those sound good.”

“Why not somewhere close by?” Jackie asked

“I’ve lived a small city life for so long that I would like a change of location while I’m studying. Either the city or somewhere where it’s always Sunny.”

“That’s wonderful, a scenery change could be good for. Get out there and explore all your options.”

“Harold… But Eve, going someplace unknown can be a bit troubling.”

“Dear you felt this way when Brian left. She’s a risk taker like him.”

Jackie became silent, “I supposed.”

“Well I’m done with dinner! I’ll wash the dishes,” Eve announced.

 

            She quickly got up from the table with her plate and went into the kitchen. Quietly she washed the dishes thinking about Jackie’s reaction to her announcement. A hand came near her and instantly her defensive rose. She backed up nearly dropping the plate on the floor. Harold looked at her puzzled.

 

“Sorry,” she whispered, “I don’t like being snuck up on.”

“It’s ok… I came in here to talk to you.”

“Talk away Mr. Littrell.”

“Grandpa, call me Grandpa and I know what you’re trying to do.”

Eve continued to watch the dishes but avoided eye contact, “What am I doing?”

“You want to find him? I understand and I think you should. Your Grandmother… she can be over protective about things. She thinks she’s doing what’s best for you and Brian. You both deserve to know each other.”

“Thank you”

“Don’t thank me… here,” he said handing her an envelope, “I’ve been holding onto this for a few weeks waiting for you to come around.”

She opened it to reveal a ticket to Atlanta, Georgia, “Oh my…”

“I didn’t give this to you,” he said with a smile before walking away.

 

            Eve stuffed the envelope into her pocket and went back to washing the dishes. She couldn’t keep from smiling and tearing up. ‘I’m going to find him!’ she thought over and over to herself. Now all she had to do was get there.

 

*--------*

 

            Jackie had been out with her book club members. They had decided on going to the local golf resort to have lunch and read. Since she was going to be awhile Harold took it upon himself to drive Eve to the airport. During the entire drive they barely said a word to each other. She was so nervous she felt like she was going to throw up.

 

“Good luck,” Harold said out of nowhere.

“Thank you.”

He leaned over and hugged her, “I know my son. He’s a good man, you won’t be let down. But try not to get your hopes up too quickly ok?” he said.

“I will”

“Be careful.”

“I promise”

 

            With that she got out of the car and headed for the inside of the airport. She had never flown anywhere before and she was doing this alone. ‘You’ve come this far,’ she told herself trying to let courage push through instead of fear.

 

“I can do this,” she said, “I can do this.”